Would you be interested in a punctuation workshop?

66.67% • 14 votes • Yep
19.05% • 4 votes • Nope
9.52% • 2 votes • Is a lowercase i in the middle of parenthesis an ass ( i )? ( Just select Yep. )
4.76% • 1 vote • Can you make boobs like this ( . )( . ) ? ( Just select Yep. )
0% • 0 votes • What is punctuation? ( Just select Yep. )
Total votes: 21
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Would you be interested in a punctuation workshop?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14270

Anyone feel they may benefit from a punctuation workshop?  

P.S. Selecting anything but Nope means Yep.

_shadoe_
yiyi
Tyrant of Words
54awards
Joined 25th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 563

i'm suddenly deeply disappoint'd in myself...
... considering my flagrant disregard for punctuation_
i have never made bewbies ~
what a miss'd opportunity {!}

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

LOL!  You break the rules beautifully; however, I am certain you know them in order to be effective.   You will see broken rules in some of the greatest poets who ever lived,  E.E. Cummings, for example; however, I honestly believe that writers such as himself were well-versed with the basics of language; therefore, knew how to break rules successfully.  Just as any good painter must learn the fundamentals of paint in order to expand more abstractly; thus must we writers learn the fundamentals of language.

Understanding conventions in order to break them contributes to success.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

aaaaaaah, maybe, as long as You don't make me change the way i uppercase or with respect to me, lowercase these pronouns.
It's part of my spilling style  ( i know people notice but only those who do not know this, will point it out to me )

_shadoe_
yiyi
Tyrant of Words
54awards
Joined 25th Apr 2013

Ahavati said:LOL!  You break the rules beautifully; however, I am certain you know them in order to be effective.   You will see broken rules in some of the greatest poets who ever lived,  E.E. Cummings, for example; however, I honestly believe that writers such as himself were well-versed with the basics of language; therefore, knew how to break rules successfully.  Just as any good painter must learn the fundamentals of paint in order to expand more abstractly; thus must we writers learn the fundamentals of language.

Understanding conventions in order to break them contributes to success.

i'd still participate tho...
... more i know, more i can abuse my power over the semicolon

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

_shadoe_ said:

i'd still participate tho...
... more i know, more i can abuse my power over the semicolon

i love the way shadoe thinks, here  

OK, then i am in, as well, and hell with them Pronouns!!  

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 796

I, a too comma prone poet, would love!!!!! a puncuation workshop? I mean "." no ";" no it's poetry damnit, no punctuation at all...or maybe just a l'il

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

LOL!  You're all certifiable!  This should be fun!  

spadula68
Sheri Padula
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 24th Jan 2020
Forum Posts: 3

Yes I shouldn't follow the voice in my head ....long live the semi colon!!

_shadoe_
yiyi
Tyrant of Words
54awards
Joined 25th Apr 2013

Tallen said:

i love the way shadoe thinks, here  

OK, then i am in, as well, and hell with them Pronouns!!  

yeeeeeeeeees.... come over to the dark side ...
we have ellipses

{&} no idea how to use them

_shadoe_
yiyi
Tyrant of Words
54awards
Joined 25th Apr 2013

Ahavati said:LOL!  You're all certifiable!  This should be fun!  

this from the woman who started the cuckoo fest with body parts made ov punctuation 🙈

in all seriousness tho, it's a fab idea 🍷

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati said:Anyone feel they may benefit from a punctuation workshop?  

P.S. Selecting anything but Nope means Yep.

i know very little of other languages' grammar rules and so i would love to SEE (feel) kindness to our members who are learning English and want to join in on something like this but feel apprehensive.

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 796

_shadoe_ said:

we have ellipses

Katja, ...///$ you are on e ov my favorite avant garde punctuation rebels on the DUP, nay the entire planet///\\\\(*) <) I mean <3

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tallen said:

i know very little of other languages' grammar rules and so i would love to SEE (feel) kindness to our members who are learning English and want to join in on something like this but feel apprehensive.

This will be nothing less than kind.  Punctuation ( as grammar ) varies in different countries. I have only been instructed in Western ( America & Canada ), and British ( England, Australia & New Zealand ).  While most of the styles have merged, there still remains some differences regarding how quotation marks are used as well as periods within/out quotations and titles.  Listing time and dates also differs slightly.  My own writing tends to utilize both, depending on what my personal preference is.

For example, I prefer to use regular quotation marks for quotes, and apostrophes for quotes within quotes. This is the Western method, where the British is opposite, placing apostrophes on the outside quote while using quotation marks on the inside quote.  Conversely, I prefer to place my periods outside of quotations, which is the British method, vs. the Western practice of including them inside the quotation.  

It all comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable with.  Either use is proper, imho, except, for perhaps, turning in homework such as a thesis in a respective country who requires their own punctuation.  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

_shadoe_ said:

we have ellipses

Gahddess_Worship said:I, a too comma prone poet, would love!!!!! a puncuation workshop? I mean "." no ";" no it's poetry damnit, no punctuation at all...or maybe just a l'il

You two are going to make me pee my pants!

Go to page:
Go to: