Page:

Self-publishing Advice

NewBeginnings
Tyrant of Words
United States 18awards
Joined 6th June 2017
Forum Posts: 102

Does anyone know of a good program for laying out the format/design of a book in progress? I've been using Word, but it's not exactly the easiest program to work with when it comes to the artistic part of the process.

Also, if I were to do a poem on one page and a photo on the next, for each poem. How many poems would be a reasonable books-worth?

I know there are several poets on here who have published books, so any tips/advice would be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

-NewB

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14588

NewBeginnings said:Does anyone know of a good program for laying out the format/design of a book in progress? I've been using Word, but it's not exactly the easiest program to work with when it comes to the artistic part of the process.

Also, if I were to do a poem on one page and a photo on the next, for each poem. How many poems would be a reasonable books-worth?

I know there are several poets on here who have published books, so any tips/advice would be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

-NewB

I'm unsure which self-publisher you're looking at, but LuLu Press has professional, downloadable templates for whatever size book you want to publish. The limit is 100 pages; therefore, if you want a table of contents, dedication and the like, subtract the applicable pages for those.  

If you're not looking to self publish but simply want to format your book, this article will help. Each writer needs to find their own fit:

https://thewritepractice.com/best-book-writing-software/

NewBeginnings
Tyrant of Words
United States 18awards
Joined 6th June 2017

I hadn't looked at an actual publisher yet, just working on the formatting and design. LuLu will probably come in handy further down the road. Thank you

The article you shared is helpful - I will check some of those out now!

poet Anonymous

New Beginnings:  Many publishers have their own format and font rules...Just my suggestion, but you may want to check the most attractive publishers before you decide on the format you select.  Happy New Year!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

NewBeginnings said:I hadn't looked at an actual publisher yet, just working on the formatting and design. LuLu will probably come in handy further down the road. Thank you

The article you shared is helpful - I will check some of those out now!

You're very welcome.  Just as I told Jess earlier, many publishers open submissions for completed manuscripts ( I can get you some to follow ); however, these manuscripts ( as well as individual poems ) are typically required to not be published. So keep that in mind as well.  

Then there are poets like Rupi Kaur that self published and made it big because of it.  There is a long list of famous self-published authors.  Do your homework in regards to marketing as well if you do go that route.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Ahavati said:

You're very welcome.  Just as I told Jess earlier, many publishers open submissions for completed manuscripts ( I can get you some to follow ); however, these manuscripts ( as well as individual poems ) are typically required to not be published. So keep that in mind as well.  

Then there are poets like Rupi Kaur that self published and made it big because of it.  There is a long list of famous self-published authors.  Do your homework in regards to marketing as well if you do go that route.

I'm still leaning towards self publishing.

Great points you make.

NewBeginnings
Tyrant of Words
United States 18awards
Joined 6th June 2017

Mister_Write said:New Beginnings:  Many publishers have their own format and font rules...Just my suggestion, but you may want to check the most attractive publishers before you decide on the format you select.  Happy New Year!

Thank you, Ahavati & Mister Write!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

EdibleWords said:

I'm still leaning towards self publishing.

Great points you make.

How are your previous books faring?  I don't want a free one, Jess; I intend on supporting you financially - I just have a few on a list ahead of you here from the DU author's thread.  

You may want to spend some time studying marketing.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Ahavati said:

How are your previous books faring?  I don't want a free one, Jess; I intend on supporting you financially - I just have a few on a list ahead of you here from the DU author's thread.  

You may want to spend some time studying marketing.

I've sold.. a handful. I bought a few myself. So, like $30 royalties, lol!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

EdibleWords said:

I've sold.. a handful. I bought a few myself. So, like $30 royalties, lol!

Which is why I would be hesitant to publish anymore for now.  Not until I invested some time in marketing. It sucks. I know. But if you can't afford one then the work falls to you!

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Ahavati said:

Which is why I would be hesitant to publish anymore for now.  Not until I invested some time in marketing. It sucks. I know. But if you can't afford one then the work falls to you!

Agreed. Certainly I've learned a lot. I don't think I lost much if anything. Just don't buy "Edible Words" the poetry book, you. It's my baby steps. Not horrible bad. I've got praise from nonpoets but it's not for... pros like you. I'll do better.

I can't exactly say I regret publishing Pig in a Web. I love the ebook most.. It's not published for money. But I did fancy a lottery of sorts might respond... that was premature.

Page:
Go to: