Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Page:

Your book... price it high, low?

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

I'm curious if you feel it's wise to go below or above average for you listed retail price.

And your reasons for choosing your price

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

I don't believe books should compete.

I believe they should address their audience while monetizing book distribution.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Honestly, I'm not going to buy LOTR over a Harry Potter novel based on list price.

I buy based on the interest I feel in the story and the list price should reflect that desire. But also, paperbacks are better when they are pretty tradable  with similar content, i.e. one book for another.

3rd edit to ask ... opinions? I don't just want to talk to myself... lol!

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

EdibleWords said:I'm curious if you feel it's wise to go below or above average for you listed retail price.

And your reasons for choosing your price

Price it above , see the reaction , then discount if necessary...

And , being me , I would choose price based on unit cost ,
cost of storage , if necessary , shipping costs , and of course ,
what the numbers meant in the magickal system I work with...

But that is me...

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Blackwolf said:

Price it above , see the reaction , then discount if necessary...

And , being me , I would choose price based on unit cost ,
cost of storage , if necessary , shipping costs , and of course ,
what the numbers meant in the magickal system I work with...

But that is me...

I bet publishing houses are really good at figuring out the ideal prices. Self-publisher types have to operate on a different system, or mimic what the big guy does.

I say, mimic the big guy...

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2254

the higher the price
the lower the worth
for those
who are trying to reach
everybody

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

drone said:the higher the price
the lower the worth
for those
who are trying to reach
everybody

I understand. You don't want to be shut out of the market.

And go too low and you make your books less than swappable with other paperbacks.

poet Anonymous

Pricing your book (if your publisher doesn’t do that for you) depends on many factors, including:  length of book, production qualities, your experience (do you have other publications?) Is the book an e-book or a print work? What are typical prices for “comparable” works?  (other books by authors with similar experience, similar number of pages and production values)?  Of course, consider that the price of your book also impacts on your royalties.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

Begin average, never lower - you're underscoring yourself if you do.  Once you have some established reviews, you can raise the price and offer discounts.  There is something about the word 'discount' which implies a bargain lower than its worth.  That is completely separate from pricing too low.  Reviews are the next step after publishing.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Mister_Write said:Pricing your book (if your publisher doesn’t do that for you)

Yeah... see... I would have been wise to be specific there in the opening post. I bet only the indie book writers have to even talk or think about this.

I'm not trying to gut the market with weird values... I see a story as fun or not.

If it's a one hour paperback novel, (worth reading or fun enough to write from beginning to end) it should trade with others of similar length, fairly easily, like one 25 cent coin for another, from another state.

depends on many factors, including:  length of book, production qualities, your experience (do you have other publications?)

Book length should be a factor, I feel. But, then, finding it's natural pedigree shouldn't be too hard, I hope. As long as there is an audience, right?

Experience should be an artistic domain. A story might be a biography... the writer could be 38 or 74. the poems could have taken a decade and be describing a relatable state of mind....
Or the result of a sudden passion around an end of life event.

Is the first published novel more or less valuable? Certainly collects items are valuable... but open to personal interpretation.

Is the book an e-book or a print work? What are typical prices for “comparable” works?  (other books by authors with similar experience, similar number of pages and production values)?  Of course, consider that the price of your book also impacts on your royalties.

All good points.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Ahavati said:Begin average, never lower - you're underscoring yourself if you do.  Once you have some established reviews, you can raise the price and offer discounts.  There is something about the word 'discount' which implies a bargain lower than its worth.  That is completely separate from pricing too low.  Reviews are the next step after publishing.

Experience speaks.

That makes total sense.

Page:
Go to: