Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 958

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Good Soul , Sir !

Nice to share laughter in this thread...

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Fire of Insight
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 578

That's not the same question as "How much does critique affect you?"

If I answered that, I'd say it ranges, from not enough to too much.

Critique should effect me enough to help me become a better writer. But not so much it helps me see that I am unfit to write at all.

Rachel_Lauren
Rachel_Lauren
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 13th Nov 2019
Forum Posts: 23

It should affect you as much as you allow it. To be frank, everyone is coming from a different perspective. The writer and the reader. Not everyone is going to “get” you, and that’s fine.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
22awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 1337

Rachel_Lauren said:It should affect you as much as you allow it. To be frank, everyone is coming from a different perspective. The writer and the reader. Not everyone is going to “get” you, and that’s fine.

Absolutely!!  

Mister_Write
Mister_Write
Thought Provoker
United States
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 12th Nov 2019
Forum Posts: 47

Rachel_Lauren said:It should affect you as much as you allow it. To be frank, everyone is coming from a different perspective. The writer and the reader. Not everyone is going to “get” you, and that’s fine.

Absolutely agree....pretty much true in every aspect of life!  :-)

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Fire of Insight
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 578

To pile it on. I also agree!

buddhakitty
buddhakitty
Dangerous Mind
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 20

Well said Rachel.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 854

the one proviso is this: the better we get as writers, the more we are able to promote understanding of what we write. it doesn't all have to be on the surface; sometimes a little digging in the form of thought or research can make a message clear where before it had been less obvious.

not everyone's EVER going to like all you write, but if it's put together with an eye to the tools we have at our beck and call to use then there's a good chance it'll have the power to touch more people than without.
and, of course, there are always exceptions to any rule.

Mobster82
Mobster82
Strange Creature
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Nov 2019
Forum Posts: 4

Careful not to allow what others interpret to affect who you are.

Skyblue2
Skyblue2
Twisted Dreamer
  profile   poems   message
Joined 16th Aug 2019
Forum Posts: 29

If 5 people say they like or even love your poem - even pointing out favorite parts - and one person points out what could be improved on, does that mean the other 5 were wrong or unknowledgeable?

Is the meaning behind a poem and how the poet expresses themselves more important than someone pointing out ways a line can run smoother?

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
79awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 4096

Skyblue2 said:If 5 people say they like or even love your poem - even pointing out favorite parts - and one person points out what could be improved on, does that mean the other 5 were wrong or unknowledgeable?

Is the meaning behind a poem and how the poet expresses themselves more important than someone pointing out ways a line can run smoother?

Firstly, it depends on what the suggested improvement was, e.g. - misspelling, grammar error, incorrect syntax, etc.  In that case neither would be wrong.  Furthermore, if a poet is requesting honest critique, which in essence is a personal opinion ( outside of proper spelling , grammer, et al ( unless intentional for purposes of dialect ) ), then I don't think it's a matter of who is right or wrong. It's easy to overlook a misspelled word or grammar error if you're caught up in the emotional aspect. Or, perhaps just had a long day and are a bit tired.  I've missed plenty myself!

Secondly, again, I don't think it's either/or - but both are equally important. If the poet is only seeking emotional feedback, then they most likely would request friendly feedback.  The poet is in charge of the comments by virtue of his choice of which kind ( including none ) he desires to receive, not the commenters.  The commenters are merely honoring the poet's request.  That in no uncertain terms can be labeled wrong.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
65awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 13037

lepperochan said:p'raps affect should be minimum. outside of the obvious stuff like spelling, punctuation and grammar which is mostly universal what  we're getting is a person's opinion. for the most part we probably grade that opinion to the same level as how we rate that person as a writer

unless of course you've sent a poem to someone you don't know (some publication or competition) isn't it strange how we automatically rate these anonymous opinions as almost gospel-like. there's probably a whole book about it in the psychiatry section in your local library    

how well would we take when if someone we've never met tells us the top we're wearing doesn't really go with whatever jeans or dress we've on. or if they were you they'd probably have put the watch on the other hand and wore the jacket inside out. if it were some stranger we probably wouldn't pay much heed. if it were Gok Wan however...

here, on some level  receiving comments critique or otherwise is as much about stats or validation as it is about learning . it was for me anyway when I first joined

slightly off topic..

I think anyone who takes the time to write a critique for another poet should be commended.  I think they  make a tremendous contribution to the community. and to that end welcome the birth of Café critique and all it's talented poets who'll be donating their time and effort. i think we're lucky to have so many dedicated to such things here on the site in one group

[could be the communist in me, but I'd have liken to have seen a critique group who got together and went out into general population a couple of times a week,  gave ten critiques each type thing]

anyhow, long story short. p'raps affect was the wrong word. if it wasn't I don't think a critique should affect a person. I think a person needs to be able to look at a critique and take the good from it in a calm business-like manner

thank you, you're all beautiful

If anyone is stuck for examples of what I would call Dick speak

have a look at this newbies first 13 comments

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/David2013/

(Click on comments)

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
17awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1652

lepperochan said:

If anyone is stuck for examples of what I would call Dick speak

have a look at this newbies first 13 comments

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/David2013/

(Click on comments)

A critique of a "critic's" poem(s), not the critic, usually suffices in getting a dialogue started that can serve as examples to the masses of how to A) effectively deal with harsh commentary ( when the report button is overlooked or not an option for whatever reason ) -and- B) constructively critique.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
65awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 13037

maybe, you're right Blaze. However, the evidence shows it's not critique, just nasty   ...or Dick speak. so both his personality and his writings needed to be talked about

joined up and posted 13 nasty comments on poems.

if it were up to me, he'd be gone already.

feel free to lavish him with your constructive critique, never know you might turn him into quite something

though I wouldn't hold my breath

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
17awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1652

lepperochan said:maybe, you're right Blaze. However, the evidence shows it's not critique, just nasty   ...or Dick speak. so both his personality and his writings needed to be talked about

joined up and posted 13 nasty comments on poems.

if it were up to me, he'd be gone already.

feel free to lavish him with your constructive critique, never know you might turn him into quite something

though I wouldn't hold my breath

Never hurts to set an example that everyone can benefit from.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/366667-the-narrowing/

Go to page:
Go to: