Go to page:

Past journals and when to use them

imogeequeen
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 7th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 16

I have kept a journal since I was nine full of poetry and secrets, getting it typed on my laptop including scanning the drawings

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

So ... back to the original topic ...

Journals.

You wrote in them. You continue writing today.

Someday you will be gone from this world. People may find both and publish them all as is. Never say never.

Personally, I feel nothing written is ever finished until it actually is published. To me, that's the cut off mark when you back away from the notebook or keyboard with your hands in the air.

I don't mind people like George Lucas being able to revise published works - in his case, the original Star Wars trilogy - but ..... that was ridiculously unecessary. It merely created more distractions in the movies, which detract from the viewing.

Yet after all that obsessing, Lucas still overlooked editing the boobies that accidentally popped out of the dancing girl's shirt before she was fed to the Rancor in Return Of The Jedi. LOL!

Up until publishing - revise, revise, revise in your spare time, whether you are bored or for the sake of exercise.

Get it as perfected as you can before letting it go for good.

poet Anonymous

JohnnyBlaze said:So ... back to the original topic ...

Journals.

You wrote in them. You continue writing today.

Someday you will be gone from this world. People may find both and publish them all as is. Never say never.

Personally, I feel nothing written is ever finished until it actually is published. To me, that's the cut off mark when you back away from the notebook or keyboard with your hands in the air.

I don't mind people like George Lucas being able to revise published works - in his case, the original Star Wars trilogy - but ..... that was ridiculously unecessary. It merely created more distractions in the movies, which detract from the viewing.

Yet after all that obsessing, Lucas still overlooked editing the boobies that accidentally popped out of the dancing girl's shirt before she was fed to the Rancor in Return Of The Jedi. LOL!

Up until publishing - revise, revise, revise in your spare time, whether you are bored or for the sake of exercise.

Get it as perfected as you can before letting it go for good.

Thanks Johnny,
(sorry about the thread, completely my fault)

"Personally, I feel nothing written is ever finished until it actually is published." ...yep, agreed. that's the standard I am going to take.Not that I am expecting to be published. And like you said, I am going through what I have, mining stuff that fits with newer things, constantly tweeking, blending in with my newer work.

I am so glad for my old journals like little treasure chests to plunder.

Thanks again

poet Anonymous

imogeequeen said:I have kept a journal since I was nine full of poetry and secrets, getting it typed on my laptop including scanning the drawings

Yep me too. My first journal was when i was 11 i think. I started a 'Ghost Club' and kept a journal of our adventures. Drawing the various species of ghosts, monsters and weird things we would expect to see. Did not see anything unfortunately and my friends soon dropped out. But I kept it going.

i have been scanning some stuff from my journals too. I usually rip photos from magazines and stick them in there if i think they could inspire something.

Thanks for your comment imogeequeen :)

imogeequeen
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 7th Apr 2019

I go to the public library here and a helpful librarian helps me to scan these mainly ink drawings on to a memory stick, I think she has a crush on me but hey that is ok, she is being helpful to this damsel in distress. In future, I am gonna put some early things out here to see if they fly I usually only write erotical these days. You should try some early stuff too - its a challenge we should both do

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14631

imogeequeen said:I go to the public library here and a helpful librarian helps me to scan these mainly ink drawings on to a memory stick, I think she has a crush on me but hey that is ok, she is being helpful to this damsel in distress. In future, I am gonna put some early things out here to see if they fly I usually only write erotical these days. You should try some early stuff too - its a challenge we should both do

I'm looking forward to seeing your older stuff and artwork. I'm really not much into the erotic genre; however, would love to see where you came from.

imogeequeen
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 7th Apr 2019

Ahavati said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your older stuff and artwork. I'm really not much into the erotic genre; however, would love to see where you came from.

It is a little secret, do not tell anyone, but I'd rather write different. but I have little confidence in stepping outside

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14631

imogeequeen said:

It is a little secret, do not tell anyone, but I'd rather write different. but I have little confidence in stepping outside

You'll have to step out eventually or you'll stagnate - this place is pretty accepting and judgment free.  You could start by selecting Friendly Feedback verses Honest Critique until you're comfortable.

Find an inspirational poet and study them.

DharmaBum
Michael Sullivan
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 27th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 1

Throw a few of the oldies up against the wall and see what sticks. There is nothing to fear but fear it self.  You have me curious.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5792

I think journals are fantastic tools. Mostly in terms of timeline — you can see more about your thought process at the time.

I am a very avid journal keeper. I just think having something that is purely for yourself is a fantastic resource when you are writing for yourself. I think you can be a lot more honest with an audience of one.

_feral
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 12awards
Joined 23rd Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 865

i started out journaling down my thoughts and writing poems in journals (and that's where the moleskine hoarding began 😂)

no regrets though because it takes you on a journey when you look back at old entries, especially with how far you've come as a person and all the experiences that have tagged along with it, sometimes it's a nice reminder because i think we often forget how much we deal with as human beings 😊

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

You... hoarding moleskines... surely not 😂 I kind of imagine you just open your wardrobe and nothing but books just falls out of it.

#poetlife

The journal is very much the external hard drive for the brain. To put it in modern context.

As well as the good stuff though I also think that journaling is an excellent exercise in things you don’t like also. It helps you work out what works for you and what doesn’t.

It’s also a space where not everything has to be near and perfect and presentable which I think enhances your creativity also.

_feral
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 12awards
Joined 23rd Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 865

it can't be helped really and in all fairness you're not wrong  😂 👀

#itsapoetslifeforus

i certainly agree about the external hard drive part, if i didn't write anything down .. i'd explode or heaven forbid end up on a purge of some sort 😂

i don't know if you've had this but i actually enjoy the scribbling out process that happens in a journal even if it end ups being derailed, i always feel like something lived on page for a little while then just died on its own accord .. or maybe i'm just weird haha 😆

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

_feral said:it can't be helped really and in all fairness you're not wrong  😂 👀

#itsapoetslifeforus

i certainly agree about the external hard drive part, if i didn't write anything down .. i'd explode or heaven forbid end up on a purge of some sort 😂

i don't know if you've had this but i actually enjoy the scribbling out process that happens in a journal even if it end ups being derailed, i always feel like something lived on page for a little while then just died on its own accord .. or maybe i'm just weird haha 😆

I’m in a bit of a catch-22 when it comes to that.

Now... my journals are also covered in doodles, big words that cover the whole page. Chocolate biscuit fingerprints... everything. But there’s part of me that finds the crossing out endearing and also incredibly frustrating. Probably an OCD perfection thing going on for me.

I was exactly the same when I used to hand in homework at school. If it had a mistake on, I would ALWAYS re-write the whole page rather than cross it out or tippex it.

I’m getting better at it but there’s still something odd about a crossing out for me. Almost like I changed my mind after.

And then there’s this whole other debate about whether it’s a pure thought then or not...

(Don’t worry I’m weird too. You may have noticed )

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Also can we just take a second for #PoetLife to the tune of Blur....

“I wake up on Mondays where I grab my moleskine and write a haiku while the windows run with condensation

POETLIFE!

I boil the kettle, dunk my biscuit in my brew and never even think about leaving the house

POETLIFE!”

😂

Go to page:
Go to: