Go to page:

Past journals and when to use them

poet Anonymous

I am new here on DUP, 5-6 days. I have books and journals full of ideas and poems etc from since forever that have never seen the light of day.

I feel reluctant to submit any here despite the fact, like old laundry , they still to me have some mileage in them and just need airing in front of people, but, then again, they may not be to the taste of most decent people.

I still write now, and I love the freshness of new thoughts and that dynamism in being spontaneous. But i do not want to let my old underpants down, if you know what I mean. they carried me through a lot, and I know they could be of some value to some younger folk.

I know I am not selling this well. But what do you think of submitting old, closeted writing. Do they give the same response as your new stuff. I want to submit some things but like I said, I feel a bit reluctant about it here.

Any further underwear analogies will be most welcome.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14554

Firstly, welcome to the Deep Side. I'll have to check out your work.

Secondly, I understand you perfectly.  I have notebooks myself dating back decades.  Many of my younger writings were lost when a hope chest full of them was stolen.  

Lastly, I would say when you are no longer emotionally attached to the writing, and can step back and view it objectively, it's time to review and potentially edit ( unless you're happy as is ).  After all, it is your anthology of experience, is it not?

poet Anonymous

Thank you, for me that's a great reply.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your work.  I had lost a favorite notebook upon a moor in the English Peak District, a long time ago, it seemed such a fateful 'sacrificial' event due to the romanticism of the place that it became a positive lesson to let things go and move on to new things.

And that is the thing you ask. What things to let go and what can I use objectively. I would hate to feel self-indulgent and know that is what the reader could 'smell' in the work. I still feel as I did then, that creativity and power of the work depends on being in the present.  (my creative choice)
The fact is, I felt that then, more strongly with my youth, and so should still resonate now.  
Trial and error and work in progress.
I appreciate your response Ahavati Thank you.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14554

Letting go is a Universal lesson - one of the most difficult to learn. But once you master it, life becomes so much lighter without such tangible attachment.

I think there is nothing more beautiful than the innocence of youth ( or, younger us's ) tempered with the wisdom of aging.  Hopefully your earlier writes won't change too much.  But I do look forward to reading them as time permits.

poet Anonymous

Thank you Ahavati. I 100% agree. Letting go is a big one, maybe the biggest and I am no master of it that's for sure.

i am going to post a few older things, see if anything resonates. I always tried to be provocative, respectfully, so I know its not for somes tastes, but that's fine.

Thanks again for your help, genuinely helped :)

Sartoris
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 4th Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 22

Personally, I very much enjoy looking back over things written awhile, or even years, back. It can be unpleasant, and maybe you want to shake your head at times, but the process of creation involves growth and development.

I believe when any artist starts out, there might be a tendency for 'self-indulgence,' though I'd rather think of it as taking chances, absorbing influences, and learning. To a certain degree, it's even important to allow for a little indulgence, otherwise our work becomes too polished and inhibited, in my opinion.

If you choose to share any of your early work, and based on my limited experience with this forum so far, you will find an audience and people who appreciate it. Or you can simply choose to keep those writings, possibly "borrowing" selections from them for other pieces, or shaping them into new ones.

russell_snow
Twisted Dreamer
United States 4awards
Joined 19th Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 25

Glad I'm not the only one with some hesitation to post old material. I've yet to spend time on new material whatsoever, but I am thoroughly enjoying the process of going thru my old journals and editing before posting on this site. I hope you can find what works for you. And I highly doubt that you'll receive harsh criticism on here. What I've seen so far is amazing, great group of people! Cheers!

BobbyJames
Lost Thinker
Joined 4th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 6

One of the best parts about keeping journals is looking over it later. It's like listening to a song you haven't heard in forever! Sometimes the meaning changes as we move on, and that's what's really cool because you get to see how you've grown. It's definately worth pulling out old notebooks for inspiration!

poet Anonymous

@BobbyJames. Exactly what I am doing now. Can objectively notice now how youthful and spontaneous my energy was in those days. Do they represent me now? not so sure, but remain a part of me for sure.

@russel_snow so far, joining DUP really has really changed my headspace. I am thinking non-stop virtually of expressing every small significant event in my life, in some way poetically. Its interesting, to say the least, though my wife is a little worried at the far-away distant looks I now often have.

@Sartoris. Thank you. I really take on board what you said about 'self-indulgence' and maybe it is more, with the age i am at now, 'an-old-bastard-self-consciousness' and a decency-to-myself, that i want to reflect. The arrogance of youth can be pretty impressive but for me, for my work to be successful, honesty and integrity (cliches i know) are essential and I am fighting my way through that. My own journey.  
Great responses xxxx thank you.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

Never throw anything out, Ideas, poem titles, unfinished poems, any creative writing attempted - revisit it on a regularly recurring basis

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

don't let them !"

poet Anonymous

Yep, I agree. I am so sorry David. I really do not mean any disrespect. Sincerely. In some way, I thought you were playing along, and I was mistaken. I am an idiot.

I am new here, and I made the bad assumption that I know everything. I read your poem about narcissists, and I am so 100% in agreement with you, and would hate to think that you would think that of me.

All my best David. You write some amazing stuff.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

Listen, this can sometimes be a minefield for the new, not so the established members. You are not an idiot you couldn't have realised. This all being the case you have nothing to apologise for. You apologised a true narcissist would not

the best to you and thank you for being the bigger person :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

poet Anonymous

David_Macleod said:Listen, this can sometimes be a minefield for the new, not so the established members. You are not an idiot you couldn't have realised. This all being the case you have nothing to apologise for. You apologised a true narcissist would not

the best to you and thank you for being the bigger person :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thank you.

Go to page:
Go to: