Finding the will to write...

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
13awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1325

LivDiane said:I always write as if it just hit me like a brick wall. Like the urge is just under your skin and you have to get it out as soon as possible. I was just discussing with my one and only friend on here (haha) that I can't just say, "Oh I'll write something." Because it feels so forced. Like the homework you forgot you had and you have to turn it in in five minutes? I never feel like it's my best unless I'm bursting at the seems to get it off my chest. My question is... what makes you want to write? What do you do to pull it out of yourself? How can I write when I would like to write and not feel like I'm forcing something just to get a C-?

Were you ever forced to play in the sandbox or with a doll?

No, you did those things because you likewise wanted to.

Treat writing as play. See where it leads. If you truly enjoy writing, then the process itself should hold your attention no differently than constructing a building out of blocks or playing cards. You are just using words instead.

Also, try imagining you are someone else who has plenty to write about.

AspergerPoet56
AspergerPoet56
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 4th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 565

JohnnyBlaze said:

Were you ever forced to play in the sandbox or with a doll?

No, you did those things because you likewise wanted to.

Treat writing as play. See where it leads. If you truly enjoy writing, then the process itself should hold your attention no differently than constructing a building out of blocks or playing cards. You are just using words instead.

Also, try imagining you are someone else who has plenty to write about.

Poetry is my autistic obsession behind listening to music. What I spill is often raw off the cuff with less finesse than most here, but I’ve accepted I won’t be everyone’s favourite read, what I used to discard I now throw in the Overflow thread

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
13awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1325

AspergerPoet56 said:

Poetry is my autistic obsession behind listening to music. What I spill is often raw off the cuff with less finesse than most here, but I’ve accepted I won’t be everyone’s favourite read, what I used to discard I now throw in the Overflow thread

Discard? Good heavens! Save everything. It can always be revised.

I think people tend to overlook the opportunity to play with their older writes during their production lulls.

MediocrePoet
MediocrePoet
Strange Creature
  profile   poems   message
Joined 25th May 2019
Forum Posts: 4

I agree wholeheartedly. Never throw anything away. Rewriting is okay. It would be amazing if we could produce great poems the first time pen hits paper, but the reality is we won't do that.

A fun exercise you can try is to take poems you don't like, cut them up, and rearrange them. Even mix in other poems too. You never know what you will get.

inechoingsilence
inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 210

I haven't had time recently, but I take all these little snippets that come to mind that don't turn into anything right away and save them on a GoogleDoc. Then from time to time I go back and see if anything talks to me. I'll cut and paste and rearrange and see what comes of anything.

BobbyEdwards
BobbyEdwards
Skeets
Twisted Dreamer
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 23rd June 2019
Forum Posts: 37

One of the things Creative Writing classes always teach is "write every day"...but you're right, that's not always practical and/or sometimes the inspiration may not be there.  Imagination can't be forced (at least I haven't been able to force it).  :-)  Perhaps RE-writing something may help?  The other thing that may help (or at least it helped me) is that  "a good writer reads."  Reading a favorite author (or someone who writes in the same genre) may inspire you.  It might help to "be a camera" and write a thought about something that catches your attention...a phrase or two may be a jump-off point for another piece, another day.  

LivDiane
LivDiane
Fire of Insight
United States
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 52

I totally forgot about this thread! Thanks for all the input, guys :D

Go to page:
Go to: