poet
LivDiane
Liv Diane
Thought Provoker
United States
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 41

I always write as if it just hit me like a brick wall. Like the urge is just under your skin and you have to get it out as soon as possible. I was just discussing with my one and only friend on here (haha) that I can't just say, "Oh I'll write something." Because it feels so forced. Like the homework you forgot you had and you have to turn it in in five minutes? I never feel like it's my best unless I'm bursting at the seems to get it off my chest. My question is... what makes you want to write? What do you do to pull it out of yourself? How can I write when I would like to write and not feel like I'm forcing something just to get a C-?

poet
DaisyGrace
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 109

Painters paint. Musicians make music. Writers write. Iím a believer that good artists practice their craft. Even when they donít feel like it. So I set time out of every day to write. Even if itís nonsense and nothing ever sees the light of day.

That doesnít mean I think Iím a good artist. It just means I trust in the practice makes you better philosophy.

poet
LivDiane
Liv Diane
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 9th Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 41

Thanks for that. I suppose I always thought it not being good wasn't worth it. But you're absolutely right. Thanks for shedding that new light on it for me. I needed the push.

poet
Sartoris
Strange Creature
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 4th Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 10

I've generally been the same way, writing when I feel most inspired and anytime that I deliberately sit down to do so it seems forced, overwrought.

Much as I hate forcing myself to do it, I haven't liked relying on those spontaneous moments, because usually I have difficulty conceptualising that inspiration. Going along what Daisy says, I believe it's important to understand what generates inspiration, whether the subject matters which interest you, or simply the habits which stimulate and relax your mind (music, taking walks, conversations, meditation, observing your environment, etc.)

And from there, to devote moments for writing and/or developing your poetry; setting aside time and finding a space that works best for you, even if it sometimes means not writing anything at all (which happens.)

poet
sepicla_ikn
Strange Creature
Joined 2nd Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 9

What forces me to get writing out?
Leaving hand-written material behind, when I die, for another writer born within my family.
Thereís some ancestors I wish I could have met, because I need answers to some of their stuff, as it canít just end like it has done lol.
Iíd not consider myself a poet, just someone writing random stuff, that all connects when you get all the pieces, and will not only find out about me, but others that have passed through my life as well. Memories fade, and although what Iím writing and have wrote might not be considered the truth, more fool the ones that have lied to me on their part then lol.
I think some liars stay away from me because I will eventually catch them out.

Not sure if Iíve answered your question sufficiently enough, but sometimes itís just best, in my opinion, to write for yourself and not worry too much of being accepted by clowns, because many are around.

poet Anonymous

There was a time when all I did was write. Everyday words flowed from somewhere within. Now...well now it feels like drawing blood from a stone. Sometimes I wonder if itís because my muse is no longer while hoping itís only a period of adjustment. Time will tell.

poet
russell_snow
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 19th Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 5

If you are writing because it's homework, I wouldn't even worry about it being your best, it's subjective anyway. I suggest focusing on the mechanics and not so much on the emotional result. It's more important to learn style and technique (like additive and subtractive rhymes) than to worry about the whole body of work and critiques. Funnel the emotional part into pre-writing, like where you just write everything down and try to focus on senses and observation. I don't know your level yet so please excuse if I'm overstepping. I also started to really enjoy editing my work once I started to see results. I highly recommend editing. Being comfortable with that helps motivate me to write.

Page:
Go to: