Go to page:

Describe the Audience - help one another identify it

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14566

No problem! I understand.

To clarify, I was asking how you figure which poetry is best spoken. I ask because I'm interested in determining if my poems are for books, spoken word, or both.

It depends on what kind of spoken word. There's recitation, performance, and slam. I think every poem can be recited, and coming from the author especially hold emotional emphasis. Each poem can potentially be performed as well; however, may lose some essence if misinterpreted / performed by a reader.   Slam is a different ballgame altogether.

Of course this is all my opinion. I personally read each poem outloud before I comment/critique it. There are two spoken word groups that you might want to join for clarification.

I see that bigger picture, too. Spirit is thicker than blood.

And we are all family, I believe. But peer influence, life experience and social demographic help to break down barriers naturally and allow a greater reach.

I would think labels are walls that restrict unity when there's a deeper vibration than circumstance.

And speaking of reach, sometimes my children feel out of reach. Sometimes they don't seem to be my audience, even though I so badly want to touch them with my poetry. I take comfort that the poems are a bit like life insurance, giving my kids a chance to get to know me through my literature if anything were to happen to me. And chances are that they will be adults, even parents themselves before the poetry touches them. (I feel like I might be making some kind of point to myself? Hmmm)

My son is obluvious to poetry. Just doesn't get it. My grandprecious is the opposite; loves to be read to, loves to discuss. Will my son understand when I'm long gone? Who knows? We all mature in understanding with age.

As for Star Trek, we only have to wait until the 2070s. Somehow I don't think Cochran will fly. But I do think it's possible we could have warp engines by then. If we are deemed worthy of graduating from the playground.

There will always be Einsteins and Hawkings leading the cutting edge of brilliance. . .

I think we could be living on an exile planet. Like Australia was a prison for Englishmen once. Maybe that's why there are so many species of humans that have been documented, bred in with us, and why we keep getting visitors who don't want anything to do with us. What if the punishment is partly about stripping us of our extraplanetary heritage and making us feel alone in the universe for generations to come, and what if the plan is never to let any humans here go free or get sufficient tech to leave the suns orbit, being offspring to outlaws? No telling.

I believe we're on a cutting edge of experience here; a holograph we've programed with multiple selections within the program to allow for freedom of choice, i.e. - turn left on my bike get hit by a Bronco; turn right arrive at my friends to eat pizza. But we don't program which direction we'll take nor remember the potential outcome. We're here for the human experience, and can't fully experience humanism by remembering why we're here.

The experience is to find our way home. Unless you're a Master, Like Jesus, Ghandi, or Buddha returned for a specific purpose, it takes lifetimes to achieve. And we wouldn't want it any other way or couldn't fully experience being human.

I don't think God endorses punishing generations like that, but if alien life were real it doesn't mean that they are enlightened enough to be saintly-obedient to our celestial source. It could be just another technological layer of oligarchy.

To think Source disciplines would be to believe we self-punish, as we are an extension of Source energy. Punishment is a result of judgement, merely the contrast of freedom, which we wouldn't be able to define nor place a value on without such contrast.

I will say we're not alone. . .

I bet that certain people match repor better with you, though. It doesn't have to be an age thing, I'm just exploring.  I think my poems would be over the heads of most teens-twenty somethings, although my children, some of them, connect with some of my poems.

Yes; as I previously said, it depends on a person's vibration. I have teens on this site, 20 somethings, 30 somethings, 40 somethings, 50 somethings, and 60 somethings that totally relate . . . because their vibration matches mine.

Wisdom and age don't necessarily go hand in hand, especially if the teenager is in their 10th lifetime, and the 50 year old their first.

My eldest says I'm her second fav poet. With Shel Silverstein being first. (I'm flattered!)

You should be. 📝

poet Anonymous

I have read almost everything, so I apologize if I missed something here. I thought the purpose of writing on an openly public website, was that you don't get to *Choose* your audience. There are many warnings on this site. Advising extreme content, categories. If you have a real problem with your online audience. Tell someone. If you can't feel comfortable or stand by your words, good or bad, online. I don't understand, unless you're trying to profit or appeal to a specific audience, I don't think this site offers publication to be viewed by only who, as writers is our choice. Great point. Awesome question.  I'm pretty new. But, from whom I have been advised by, and who I respect by her poetry and wisdom. Is *Ahavati*.  
Respectively
Beth

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Lady_of_the_Quill said:I have read almost everything, so I apologize if I missed something here. I thought the purpose of writing on an openly public website, was that you don't get to *Choose* your audience.

I read an article about the importance of poet authors identifying the audience they write books for.  

Yes, there would be a spectrum of interest, but by and large, there should be a general audience with characteristics that identify where bookstores, etc, would market the book.

I doubt my poetry is for 50something male outdoorsmen in the 30-50k yearly income bracket, for example. So certain outlets that might sell books to that demographic would not buy my book.

Maine thing: Publishers care. Publishers help authors get books to market and SOLD. I can't ignore that. Not if I want to sell like Rupy Kour or Shell Silverstein.

There are many warnings on this site. Advising extreme content, categories. If you have a real problem with your online audience. Tell someone. If you can't feel comfortable or stand by your words, good or bad, online. I don't understand, unless you're trying to profit or appeal to a specific audience, I don't think this site offers publication to be viewed by only who, as writers is our choice. Great point. Awesome question.  I'm pretty new. But, from whom I have been advised by, and who I respect by her poetry and wisdom. Is *Ahavati*.  
Respectively
Beth

Beth, I don't know if it's important for you to identify your audience. For me, it is. Im trying to converse through poetry with those who can most connect, absorb and become interested in owning hard copies of my work.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Ahavati, I am eager to reply soon. Leprechaun, I eagerly await your reply. Thank you for helping me out.

poet Anonymous

EdibleWords said:

Beth, I don't know if it's important for you to identify your audience. For me, it is. Im trying to converse through poetry with those who can most connect, absorb and become interested in owning hard copies of my work.

I am so excited to answer this question! I have been trying to figure that out myself. I agree 100%. How does one, such as yourself connect to your exact market of readers. When you have talent, pure passion to write. And, you want to $sell your words for profit. Why do you use an avatar that is not your true identity? I'm hoping this is acceptable conversation for you. I think my market is anyone. I don't lable my readers. I guess that's just me though. Personal Preference I prefer.
Respectively
Beth

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Lady_of_the_Quill said:

I am so excited to answer this question! I have been trying to figure that out myself. I agree 100%. How does one, such as yourself connect to your exact market of readers.

By sharing my poetry with all who will give me intelligent feedback.

When you have talent, pure passion to write. And, you want to $sell your words for profit.

It starts by loving to write like selling paintings starts with loving to paint or use whatever medium. I wrote because I was restless, having given up internet connections I wrote to, and hungry for a chance to be creative. I wrote because of being loved by God, being in love, being a mother, it's ups and downs, and finally I wrote because it ordered the thoughts in my head that were replying to the literary arts and sciences around me.

It became a drive to write a book and sell it because I wanted to contribute to the household and prove my worth as a poet to my children by selling my books.

Why do you use an avatar that is not your true identity?

I think it speaks to my poetic identity quite nicely. I am always private about my identity. Even if I sold books, I want to be known by my ideas, not my birth certificate.

I'm hoping this is acceptable conversation for you. I think my market is anyone.

Im under the impression that such an attitude won't go over well with publishers, but if it works for you with your personal goals, then all is well.

I don't lable my readers. I guess that's just me though. Personal Preference I prefer.
Respectively
Beth

For someone who doesn't have the same ambitions another method of writing should work quite nicely.

I have gotten enough feedback at this point to know that what I write is appealing to some people. What I am trying to do is find out what sets my audience apart from others.

Poets Poetry fans are what we have here, and the best around, at that, I feel. Even so, I'm not looking for poetry fans in general as much as the general type of people who like to read what I write, specifically.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Ahavati said: You should be

Thanks!

I appreciate the time you put into your response. I'll need to check that spoken word group out when I have time.

We each have our unique theories about how the Source works as far as reincarnation goes. But I don't want to challenge people on that point. And yeah, I am convinced that aliens and other worldly craft exist. We'll have to wait and see if they are tampering with our society but it shouldn't matter either way to our general spiritual well being.

I admit that stereotypes are usually ineffective at best, but insome cases, like commercially, they can help frame the context for reaching a willing audience with more success.

Silverstein had two audiences, one for children. One for readers of dark comedy. The dark comedy category is harder to pin down by demographic but I bet his publishers knew what it was.

The peer review process could be invaluable as a tool of revelation.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I think your audience is important.
sometimes you are writing a diary your audience is yourself,
sometimes, its yourself, with the knowledge someone is peeking in,
sometimes it is to your significant otter,
your parents, your friend.
a good excercise in writing is to take something and compose it
for: 1} your diary, 2} your mom, 3} your dad , 4} your best friend