Go to page:

Legacy Account

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

For anyone who wants to make copies of someone else's poems here at DUP before any kind of unfortunate event occurs, please refer to this thread:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/9015/#358979

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

JohnnyBlaze said:For anyone who wants to make copies of someone else's poems here at DUP before any kind of unfortunate event occurs, please refer to this thread:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/9015/#358979

Thank You.💜

💏

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

Thank You.💜

💏

Anything I can do to help preserve poetry for future generations! 💻

Johnny Blaze, Jack of all Trades.

💜💏

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Anything I can do to help preserve poetry for future generations! 💻

Johnny Blaze, Jack of all Trades.

💜💏

💜📝💏📝💜

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

Getting back on topic folks--kindly have some respect for our members here at DUP who have passed as well as each other .  This thread is for thoughtful discussion on the handling of their accounts and preservation of their work .

Thank you

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

MadameLavender said:Getting back on topic folks-- kindly have some respect for our members here at DUP who have passed as well as each other .  This thread is for thoughtful discussion on the handling of their accounts and preservation of their work .

Thank you

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Ahavati said:

Closing bank accounts via a death is understandable. Hiding an artist's body of work to never been seen again is another.

While I have DUP in my list of things to do in case of tragedy, being namely my bank account to be closed out, that doesn't mean I want my body of work deactivated.

While my family would have the authority to close out my bank account, they do not have the authority to deactivate my DUP account for any reason.  

Therefore, let this notice stand that in the event ( God forbid ) of some tragedy that may befall me, I hereby bequeath the management of my account / body of work to JohnnyBlaze for curatorship.

Two years later and it still holds true. Just say'n.

poet Anonymous

Deleted

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

Two years later and it still holds true. Just say'n.

Yes, God forbid. ❤

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

It's a truly serious subject for any member who has a body of work.  We've lost some good members and a few more are battling cancer for their lives.  I'm working with an ill member right now who has signed a power of attorney, and we're working hard to get a book published before something happens.  It's my goal that it publish while they are still here with us.

Works pass through us to be written and shared, they each take a piece of ourselves when they pass. To see that piece continue to connect with others is heartening, and something that should not disappear with tragedy.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:It's a truly serious subject for any member who has a body of work.  We've lost some good members and a few more are battling cancer for their lives.  I'm working with an ill member right now who has signed a power of attorney, and we're working hard to get a book published before something happens.  It's my goal that it publish while they are still here with us.

Works pass through us to be written and shared, they each take a piece of ourselves when they pass. To see that piece continue to connect with others is heartening, and something that should not disappear with tragedy.

Amen to that.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

It is unfortunate that most people don't create a living will. I think everyone should do one no matter how young or healthy they are. Death can creep up from behind and affects everyone. A living will leaves instructions on sudden death. Here in the UK, the living will once completed is held by your doctor's surgery and your living will is followed by the letter. It is a legally binding document.

I think having a memorial section on DU is a fantastic idea as long as copyright laws are being followed.

I have a living will the includes things like and instruction not to resuscitate, no funeral, cremation, ashes scattered in Rothesay bay. I  think writers should protect their legacy and bequeath their ownership and copyright to a trusted friend preferably a Poet. I have such a trusted friend in Missy on my death all poetry and artwork copyright will automatically be given over to Missy.

So You should all consider a living will especially in connection with your words which is your legacy. I am going to be publishing at least two books and I am working on a novel and screenplay these rights will also be owned by Missy. It is such a sensible and vital thing to do. Dont let your boetry and your writing die with you!

samael
Zaroff poetry
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 3rd Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 69

Super cool. i'm on board.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

Perhaps a dummy account, or a specific account with a human being as poetry caretaker could be an answer? Something along the lines of a profile that does nothing more than show/ curate/ keep poems of those that have finished their last sentence. Provided the ex-poets have given consent mind you.

Having a trusted friend to carry on the flame is a good idea; but time tends to catch up with most relay races that aren't centralised. Not that anyone should be forced to use/ bequeath to the 'steward' account; it just seems a slightly better long term option. If the steward pops their clogs then in comes another person to take up the mantle.

It would possibly also get around the problem/ issue of the copyright/ plagiarism status: if an account has the responsibility of the poems then they are not so much of a bunch of words ripe for exploitation by nether-do-wells.

Just a thought really.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I was thinking about this yesterday. I think a group titled "Memorials ( or something to that effect )" would be phenomenal.  Each topic could be a poet who has passed away with a link to their DU page. Members could comment under each respective topic ( or, rather, departed member ).  

As to the legacy; I love how facebook has it set up to designate a member to manage your account. This protects it from being shut down by family who might not like something they read, as Trish's was.  Not sure I am comfortable with a dummy account. I would want it to be someone I love and trust.  It would become their responsibility to pass the torch if something happened to them.  Something tells me I am not going to care.

Go to page:
Go to: