Page:

Vote Results

poet Anonymous

I think it would be most helpful to show the number of votes each poem gets in the public voting/abandoned comps after the comp closes and the winner is chosen based on number of votes.

I realize that everything is based on % and how the votes are spread but something peculiar has happened to me and few others who have casted their votes at a comp that had been sitting idle for sometime and i think showing the number of votes under each poem would certainly resolve any unanswered questions lingering about the process.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

Vee--the vote process goes by a time-out as well as percentage aspect , which is best explained by the Webmiss, but basically if the votes are distrubuted over many entries and no one is "leading " so to say, the comp gets hung up until an entry gets voted into a majority where it may trigger the win.

Presently the Webmiss is preparing to launch the DU Groups, so this could be one for the to-do list. From the mod side, we can see how many votes each comp has presently and at closure when the win is triggered but not each poem. I can add in a post at the end of each vote comp once it finishes, as to the number of votes that happened for that comp, if that would be useful, until another/better solution is able to be had.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

Vee said:I think it would be most helpful to show the number of votes each poem gets in the public voting/abandoned comps after the comp closes and the winner is chosen based on number of votes.

I realize that everything is based on % and how the votes are spread but something peculiar has happened to me and few others who have casted their votes at a comp that had been sitting idle for sometime and i think showing the number of votes under each poem would certainly resolve any unanswered questions lingering about the process.

Hi, if anything seems peculiar, please contact me via "Help" (DU Questions) and I will investigate it further.

I won't be putting the number of votes per poem up for two reasons:
- Firstly, it seems unfair to those who haven't got any or many votes.
- Secondly, it could encourage tactical voting, where people vote for their second or third choice because their first choice is unlikely to win.

It's impossible to say exactly how many votes are needed to end voting. The minimum number required is based on the number of entries, but the system also needs to be able to determine a clear winner. For example, as MadameLavender mentioned, if two leading entries both had 5 votes, voting wouldn't end until one got an additional vote, in order to set them apart.

poet Anonymous

admin said:

It's impossible to say exactly how many votes are needed to end voting. The minimum number required is based on the number of entries, but the system also needs to be able to determine a clear winner. For example, as MadameLavender mentioned, if two leading entries both had 5 votes, voting wouldn't end until one got an additional vote, in order to set them apart.

Thanks ML and WebMiss for your respective responses.

Logic automatically presumes that if a comp is sitting idle for sometime that it needs one additional vote to break the tie but the  peculiar situation that i've mentioned has happened quite a few times to me and to others as the last person to vote.

Yesterday I glanced over at the public voting section and i casted my vote in"Look At Me" hosted by Dada.  My vote was for SatanSperm and when in the next instant i refreshed the page i saw that it was gone from the voting block, i assumed my vote broke the tie thinking SatanS would either be the winner or a runner's up but that wasn't the case.  He was neither.

The winner and the runner's up candidates seemed to have enough votes already therefore my vote to SatanS was more of a push for the barriers to close the comp rather than actually make a difference with the results of the winners chosen?

For me personally asking for number votes to be shown under each poem was to understand how does one's vote count in the scheme of things mentioned.
This situation has happened few times before so i know that its not random and even with the probability that maybe another person in that instant was casting their vote to a candidate with higher number and i've dismissed this issue before based on that theory. Although, yesterday during the time i was on the view numbers on the voting comps were steady and fixed for sometime giving me the notion no one was looking at them.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

Vee said:
Yesterday I glanced over at the public voting section and i casted my vote in"Look At Me" hosted by Dada.  My vote was for SatanSperm and when in the next instant i refreshed the page i saw that it was gone from the voting block, i assumed my vote broke the tie thinking SatanS would either be the winner or a runner's up but that wasn't the case.  He was neither.

Ah ha, I see what you mean. There are a few factors involved in the algorithm, but there may be room for improvement to make it "smarter". I will review it once I have made progress with the Groups project.

Essentially, there are a number of ways to approach it, whether it's collecting a total number of votes proportional to the entries, or setting a number of votes a winner needs, or a number of votes needed between a winner and the next person down. The algorithm is somewhat of a mixture (i.e. any one of a number of goal posts being reached can trigger an end to voting, as long as a clear winner can be determined).

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5299

admin said:

Ah ha, I see what you mean. There are a few factors involved in the algorithm, but there may be room for improvement to make it "smarter". I will review it once I have made progress with the Groups project.

Essentially, there are a number of ways to approach it, whether it's collecting a total number of votes proportional to the entries, or setting a number of votes a winner needs, or a number of votes needed between a winner and the next person down. The algorithm is somewhat of a mixture (i.e. any one of a number of goal posts being reached can trigger an end to voting, as long as a clear winner can be determined).

fairness.

fair go.

poet Anonymous

I know i look at details closely but this one was such a mystery that i kept watching the pattern and it wasn't making sense, the bug was bugging me trying to figure out lol
Thanks again Webmiss for looking in :)

Page:
Go to: