Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Do you believe in free speech?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

David_Macleod said:I find this conversation bewildering, maybe I am to a certain extent out of the loop, therefore I might have missed some stuff.

I don’t get or feel the low mood of DUP in fact quite the opposite.

That's because there is relatively small handful of people regurgitating the same nonsense again and again about sitewide Gestapo-ish oppression and rampant polemicry targeting members.

If you ignore them and the occasional troll that burns himself out like a meteorite within days of registering, DUP is an awesome place to write and share poetry with very few limitations.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

Hullo

everyone here is having a grown up conversation. p'raps if you can make an adult persona you could join in and be constructive

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2382

JohnnyBlaze said:If you ignore them and the occasional troll that burns himself out like a meteorite within days of registering, DUP is an awesome place to write and share poetry with very few limitations.

'burns himself out' as in vaporizes or burns himself out as in penatrates the atmosphere(burns for a while) and then lands on earth's surface? because if you meant the former then that would actually be a meteor(..not a meteorite)  

Also, since this thread was posted as a suggestion:

if there are persistent problems with how peope use the forums wouldn't it make sense to have some sort of forum rules sticky thread that tells people how not to get banned/whatever?

another neat idea would be to let people know that the site rules are subject to interpretation by the mods and how to respectfully deal with any disagreements..since that  seems to cause a lot of issues.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6697

Umm said:      
Also, since this thread was posted as a suggestion:

if there are persistent problems with how peope use the forums wouldn't it make sense to have some sort of forum rules sticky thread that tells people how not to get banned/whatever?

another neat idea would be to let people know that the site rules are subject to interpretation by the mods and how to respectfully deal with any disagreements..since that  seems to cause a lot of issues.  

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink.

There will always be that one in a million, maybe one in a thousand, who for whatever reason simply do not follow the rules and delight in breaking the rules simply because they can.

That is the crux of the problem. How do you solve a problem like the idiot martyrs? The ones who are trolls through and through.
One solution is to prevent the type of talk and words they use: but that hurts and restrains everyone. It sets tighter and tighter restrictions on people, and not in the kinky fun kind of way, but in the shrinking of civil liberties and fundamental rights as a human being.

The internet has no police force, for better and for worse. A problem further confounded when any talk and idea of art comes into play. Generally art is about freedom, creativity and expression, with rules being secondary to art: sure art as rules and forms but generally they are a way to classify or enhance or define the art not a way to prevent or fully achieve the art. For example, limericks have structure and rhyming scheme, but such rules can be bent and broken (at least in English) by cunning use of sounds.

Craic: "forums. no offense to anyone but the forums aren't very engaging. I judge the mood of this place by how people engage with each other."

- I feel the same way and have for a long time. Though there are threads here and there that I engage with, nothing seems to quite elicit the same buzz as in the past. Though that may well be down to my personal history and the overall zeitgeist, feel of DU, rather than any specific individual restriction on creativity. Simply a case of brain drain or lack of inspiration and creativity, that means DU seems lacklustre compared to the 'golden' past. (A past where it was exciting but it was far easier for lines to be drawn and where drama between members was integral to the excitement but awfully toxic for outsiders and newcomers if they interrupted.)

It is my firm belief that with the right outlet and event, the good nature of people will come out without having to be forced or encouraged. However finding the right event, the right topic and choice of conversation is not easy. That is not to say that without that topic everyone is simply foul-mouthed ultra-aggressive racists who should not have any freedom of speech, but that such behaviour is completely bypassed with the right circumstances.

Northern1
Fire of Insight
Iceland
Joined 15th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 228

i believe in your right to free speech, but i also believe that what you give is ultimately what you get

clewluss
SMOOKY
Thought Provoker
Joined 22nd Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 281

there is no such thing as a free speech

Littlepinkscorpion
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 31st May 2017
Forum Posts: 10

I believe in freedom of speech we can say what we want even though it comes at a price.Any thing In life comes at a costs. That's just life.

just_dave
Strange Creature
Joined 21st July 2017
Forum Posts: 1

I'd like your cock or the picture of it but why can't I have both? You know except for that whole straight thang. Now that's free speech.

poet Anonymous

Had to smile with this :)

poet Anonymous

As a result of free speech being censored, I found this community. Two poems both of an erotic nature, one which I have on this site were reported and Facebook took them down.  I'm glad because I found this community.

Go to page:
Go to: