Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Do you believe in free speech?

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1337

You are free to say whatever you want. You are not free of the consequences that may follow.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

I do not believe free speech exists, despite certain countries claiming it. True some countries are more free than others but all are affected by big business and Government restrictions - try expressing free speech on Facebook or Twitter unless it meets a certain narrative - these are dangerous times IMHO

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

context:

Deep underground poetry at one stage promoted free speech. people spoke freely ( please see forums 3 years + old)

consequence:  people's 'feelings'  were hurt.

rightly or wrongly people's feelings are protected here now. people > take<  offence easy, sometimes people don't even have to take offence because other people take offence for them

I suppose a big question would be Has a more strict DU affected creativity?

and has it affected the ambiance or atmosphere of the place?

I would say the atmosphere is at an all time low, and has been hovering around it for some time.

others may disagree and others may not.

personally I think very few people here understand fully what free speech entails

couple of weeks ago I was out handing leaflets about abortion. It's still illegal in Ireland. there's a chance it'll go to referendum soon

It came into the public domain because a woman died in child birth when she could have been saved if a termination was carried out

anyhow, from talking to people I got the impression a lot of people who are against abortion, feel if it's made legal there'll be abortions Willy nilly up and down the country

I feel the same applies here. a lot of people who are against free speech feel it will herald an onslaught of 'words'

The consequences of free speech is people will inevitably get hurt at some stage.

another problem is some people are hurt easier than others. I think those are the people being pandered to here.  is it wrong?

as a 'community' we should protect our most vulnerable

But we should be wary of building a community out of snow flakes..

edit:  in terms of abortion I'm neither for or against. I do believe people ( mostly those with wombs) need to make that decision when the time comes so if it comes to referendum I'll vote yes

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Everything has a line you don't cross.  So when the word "free" is used, it doesn't mean completely and utterly.  If someone is free from prison for example, they are still not completely free, they still live under a rule. We as people are not completely free, we still live under some kind of rule, everything has it's restrictions.

Common sense tells you the true definition of "free"  So if you want to cross the line and you get penalised, then suck it up mister.

The line here with regards to speech is not as fine as it is in most poetry/writing sites.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

"...This is your "freedom" to "push boundaries", "challenge ideas" and engage in "thought provoking" "discussions". Are you interested in joining our "diverse" network of poets and writers?" - DU homepage

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

Not all things should be taken so literally, especially when T&C's are in place.  Which everyone agrees to before membership is confirmed.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

ah. I was trying to convey the opposite of taking it litirally(being ironic.) Most people don't read the terms and conditions..which they should..but it's more complicated than that, I don't think the t&c thingy fully reflects DU's ideals, it's mostly just legal stuff.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Hullo

I think maybe yes, if those are the words which are meant to entice people to this place then I think it should be taken literal enough.  yes there are guidelines and terms. these deal mostly with attacks on people and peoples privacy.

I think most people here understand 100% free speech is probably untenable and would most probably prove destructive.  that said, I think there ' was'  a fair amount of interference from moderators which was beyond the call of fair play.  so, I think we just need to find a balance

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

Umm said:ah. I was trying to convey the opposite of taking it litirally(being ironic.) Most people don't read the terms and conditions..which they should..but it's more complicated than that, I don't think the t&c thingy fully reflects DU's ideals, it's mostly just legal stuff.

I did wonder.  I agree. I didn't actually read them fully myself when first joining.  

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

I meant the excessive quotes were meant to be ironic

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

lepperochan said:Hullo

I think maybe yes, if those are the words which are meant to entice people to this place then I think it should be taken literal enough.  yes there are guidelines and terms. these deal mostly with attacks on people and peoples privacy.

I think most people here understand 100% free speech is probably untenable and would most probably prove destructive.  that said, I think there ' was'  a fair amount of interference from moderators which was beyond the call of fair play.  so, I think we just need to find a balance

Maybe the word "freedom" should be omitted from the intro for the sake of those who tend to take a literal stance.

With regards to interference of mods, that's a whole other matter and if the OP feels the timeout ban is unjustified, then yes, challenge it.  I have no clue what went down in the hood.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

Umm said:I meant the excessive quotes were meant to be ironic

Haha, I actually went and read it, to check for quotes marks before you replied and laughed to myself.  

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

I have no clue either, and have no will to engage with moderators on someone else's behalf either way.

if you take the freedom from the intro you'll still have "push boundaries"  and "challenge ideas" and engage in "thought provoking" "discussions" so, the whole nuance appears to promote a more liberal site from the get-go ( <- not sure where the phrase comes from but i like )

what is it we don't want to read, in terms of a person exorcising a freedom of speech. both arguments for and against are vague and ambiguous. the argument against is mostly based on what if's

so, we don't want to see peoples personal life on the forums, peoples communications ( pm or emails). I dig that, seen it happen a couple of times when people get pissed at each other. its ugly

but what else are we concerned about ?  

poet Anonymous

I believe in freedom of speech, if you have to sensor people who would decide the rules of that? No one man is good enough to be anothers censor in this way.

Even if you wanted to live in a world where you didn't hurt anyone's feelings and everyone got on you couldn't because someone somewhere will always find an excuse to be offended......freedom of speech is a wonderful thing and it is up to the speakers inner voice on how far they push it.....i'm only on my first coffee of the day hahaha i'll post something more articulate later :)

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

Lep, I'm supposed to be getting ready for work, will you stop replying to me.

When some read the word "freedom" they like to take it by the balls and exploit it  until it's in shreds.  "push boundaries" is more like dipping your toe in the the ocean before deciding whether to dive in and swim until you've exhausted yourself.  "challenging ideas" and "thought provoking" are just tame in comparison.
"freedom" is the one that causes the most trouble.
( I refer to here in the DU with regards to the above, in our creative world)

What else are we concerned about? Erm! I'm going to be late for work?

Go to page:
Go to: