Go to page:

setting to make a poem private

poet Anonymous

highwaytohell said:Ok I might get shot for this but anyone who knows me knows I'll probably get shot anyway. My question is why? I mean first of all if you do not want your work know there are two inventions one is a pen and the other paper(shocking news there are even books filled with empty paper huh). Second if you use my first you do not need internet. Third "www" stands for WORLD WIDE WEBSITE what you post is for the world to see and might I add not a very good strategy for keeping work secret. Fourth you won't grow as a writer,fifth honestly who gives a shit and lastly your work is your work there is no point in hiding "trek af jou broek en brul as jy wil"(meaning take off your pants and roar if you want to in afrikaans)...flies away

so....did you actually read my post or just the title of the thread? i completely understand that when it's on the internet, it's for the world to see. my query has everything to do with pieces that are already published on DUP, but now need to be removed from the website or set to private while being considered for publication elsewhere (magazine, anthology, etc).  my suggestion for you would be to either actually read the post or possibly hone some reading comprehension skills.

MadameL, it depends on the publisher. I've had some that were fine with me deleting from here and didn't consider it published. others have wanted to publish a piece, but then found out that it was on DUP or my personal blog and rejected because that's considered published. it really is all up to the individual publisher.

as for storing things, i keep hard copies as well as digital copies in several places. so if DUP goes the way of the dods, i'm covered. it's just easy to use this timestamp when it comes to dealing with plagiarists and other websites. which is why i want to be able to just set a piece to private so that my timestamp is kept intact. Lepp has hidden a piece or two for me before. so i know that option exists now.  

poet Anonymous

highwaytohell said: Second if you use my first you do not need internet. Third "www" stands for WORLD WIDE WEBSITE  

World Wide Web

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

Thanks all for your thoughts on this, the feature has been added to the project board and will be coming to DU Poetry at some point soon.

The main issue is, what happens to reading list entries for the poem.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
TwofoldSilence
Brandon S Nabhan
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 30th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 24

Private ?? Why??

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

You can now hide individual poems. Simply choose edit on your poem's page and then click on the hide button.

This is a much requested feature, and is primarily to facilitate people hiding poems temporarily (although there is no time limit). For example, when submitting them to external publications or competitions.

It's not designed to be used on large numbers of poems at a time; it would be time consuming to do so! I've tried to strike a balance between giving author's more control over their submissions, and ensuring that readers don't suddenly lose half their reading lists. Therefore, poems hidden by the author will stay on your reading list. They will be highlighted to you as "hidden" and will not be visible to other members looking at your list. You won't be able to view these poems while they are hidden, but you can remove them from your reading list if so choose.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14581

Thank you - this helps tremendously.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1368

YYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!