Go to page:

setting to make a poem private

poet Anonymous

can we have an option to make a poem/post private?

there are many publications that do not want work that has been submitted to them for publication to be published on other websites/blogs. many don't care as long as you follow their rules regarding being published in both places. most often they tell you to set the piece as private after you have submitted. if they accept, they want you to permanently delete from the website/blog. if they don't accept, you turn it back to public on your website/blog.

currently, we don't have an option like that. we just have the option of deleting. i would even be fine with putting the piece back in 'draft' mode. it just needs to be unseen by everyone except the user.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

TheGoddessMinerva said:can we have an option to make a poem/post private?

there are many publications that do not want work that has been submitted to them for publication to be published on other websites/blogs. many don't care as long as you follow their rules regarding being published in both places. most often they tell you to set the piece as private after you have submitted. if they accept, they want you to permanently delete from the website/blog. if they don't accept, you turn it back to public on your website/blog.

currently, we don't have an option like that. we just have the option of deleting. i would even be fine with putting the piece back in 'draft' mode. it just needs to be unseen by everyone except the user.

Till something better is made an option, that's what I do:  I store certain work in my Drafts, plus others that are new that I'm not ready to post at this site, or are 1st or 2nd drafts.  It's the best option available here that I use constantly.

with love

poet Anonymous

But if the poem is already posted, I can't put it back as a draft. The only option is to modify or delete.

Which sucks. There are lots of pieces I would like feedback on, but can't post because I'm considering sending out for possible publication.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015

TheGoddessMinerva said:But if the poem is already posted, I can't put it back as a draft. The only option is to modify or delete.

Which sucks. There are lots of pieces I would like feedback on, but can't post because I'm considering sending out for possible publication.

Hmm.  If I'm understanding what you mean:  are you talking about work you currently have in your DU gallery?  Because, if you are, it's no problem; here's what I do.  First, I copy the piece in question, and paste it in my Drafts.  Then, I delete the poem that I just copied.  That's it.  Hope that helps, and let me know if you're still not sure.

~~Jadey

poet Anonymous

But that doesn't help with copyright inquiries. I have used my post dates on DU as part of my proof that I wrote the piece before someone else who claims to have written a piece that they yanked from my site. If that makes sense. If I copy and paste into a new draft, it changes the date.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015

TheGoddessMinerva said:But that doesn't help with copyright inquiries. I have used my post dates on DU as part of my proof that I wrote the piece before someone else who claims to have written a piece that they yanked from my site. If that makes sense. If I copy and paste into a new draft, it changes the date.

Yes, I understand what you're saying and the problem you're having.  I've been on other sites that allow you to put posted work in storage, and then anytime you want to bring something in storage back out, it will show up right where it used to be, with all the information of its original posting intact.  Now that's an option that DU doesn't have.  

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

Hullo

There is a way. it's handy enough.

thank you

you're welcome

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

How do you do it?

poet Anonymous

there is no way
he got your hopes up

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

Ok I might get shot for this but anyone who knows me knows I'll probably get shot anyway. My question is why? I mean first of all if you do not want your work know there are two inventions one is a pen and the other paper(shocking news there are even books filled with empty paper huh). Second if you use my first you do not need internet. Third "www" stands for WORLD WIDE WEBSITE what you post is for the world to see and might I add not a very good strategy for keeping work secret. Fourth you won't grow as a writer,fifth honestly who gives a shit and lastly your work is your work there is no point in hiding "trek af jou broek en brul as jy wil"(meaning take off your pants and roar if you want to in afrikaans)...flies away

poet Anonymous

and johnny bravo leaves like a springbok :)

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

I am sorry but some people piss me off or might i add people in general

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

I have my own InvisionFree Forum where each thread is a poem. It is set up so that it no longer accepts new accounts.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/harrrstarboard/index.php

I have Admin access to an invisible sub-forum where new poems originate. Their birth in rough draft or even idea form is time stamped long before ever being completed. When the poems are finished, they are relocated to any of the public sub-forums with Admin powers. It takes only a second to move threads back and forth between visible and invisible areas.

Having your own forum also allows for the option of creating a Guest account with "read only access" if you wanted someone to peruse a private portfolio of your work.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

I feel you're overreacting, Greg. If Minerva bashed DUP for not having the option I could understand why it might piss you off. But, as it stands she asked a very valid question that any serious author considering publication would ask. And she asked in a very respectful manner, I might add.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

Usually with publication, there are copyright rules and such that require the poem or other piece of writing to not be published anywhere else, and being posted online, counts as being "Published".  Short of removing the piece all together, the Mod Squad can also hide poems from view, as an option as well.  Usually we do it if it's objectionable in some way, or violates some rule, but we've also done it per request , too, when a poet wants to keep it in their poems online locker, but doesn't want it to be able to be seen.  I'm not sure how that goes along with the publication business, but my thought is, is that if it's not able to be "seen" by anyone browsing the internet, then perhaps it's not considered "published".  

If there are poems that are going to be published elsewhere, such as in print/book form, then maybe it's best to take them down from here and store them elsewhere like on your laptop, thumb drive, CD Rom, etc.  A secondary place to keep your work is always a good idea, in my eyes, having gone through a few computer crashes and losing everything. As much as I have posted here, I also have it all elsewhere--nothing is forever or entirely foolproof when it comes to putting all your eggs in one basket online.  

Just some thoughts!

Go to page:
Go to: