Should DU Have A Category for depression?

51.43% • 18 votes • Yes
31.43% • 11 votes • No
17.14% • 6 votes • maybe
Total votes: 35
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Should DU Have A Category for depression?

xsteff1991x
Stephanie Simpson
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 31st Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 18

I think there should be a mental health category. Not "depression" but a general category for the  exploration of mental health. Not everyone with mental health or who writes about it is bragging or wants to one - up others. X

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

Maybe not mental health (health relies on norms and such that lose meaning in the face on an anomaly), but something along the lines of a mentality/mental category. Obviously the category title would have to be better than that.
A category which panders to the need of depression, but also includes the moments of instability and bliss and confusion which are universal; not merely confined to a category for the pessimists and all their woes, or a category that be derogatory.

While there is indeed a desire and want of a depression category, it has the potential to be an extremely dark and dangerous road. Problems of narcissism and anti-criticism, of trolling and attacking the vulnerable, poems ignored for being part of a group that people find boring and therefore ignoring hidden gems, of criticism turning into psychology focussed on author not subject, and the problem that in my view depression is more personal than other things.

Though of course such problems may not ever occur, and you could well argue for more problems of categories we already have, like Upbeat having to be upbeat, erotic bordering on smut in some cases, and Miscellaneous being rather vague at the best of times. Yet the point is that with a depression category it is more likely that problems will have deeper impacts and repercussions than other categories. Disagree with an Anger or Erotic poem and criticise it too much and the author may well make other, whereas with a depression category the author may well become an ex-author.

Or maybe I just do not want to have to go back over a lot of my poems and change them to their true 'Depression' category. I share my sorrow with the idea that no one feeds it but at least it is there. Yet in the face of Despair in an overt and social setting I am driven to fight against it because it is a scourge that must be destroyed to preserve the species.

Plus next there may well be demands for forum posts being categorised, such as Long or Rambling....

xsteff1991x
Stephanie Simpson
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 31st Mar 2015

I read through that a couple of times and I do think you're right for a few reasons. Perhaps having a category that caters for mental health (etc) but isn't confined to it, would be a good solution. I wouldn't want my writing being overlooked in the way you pointed out because one reason I write about mental health is to articulate it for those who don't relate (such as my partner). From what I've seen, a lot of people do write very intensely emotional things and I see that a specific category could lead to some unkindness. Perhaps then,  a category for "Mind"? Xx

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

Having it named/termed 'Mind' seems a better bet. Though part of me is making a wordplay/pun based along the lines of 'would you mind reading some poetry....'. However in all seriousness, such things cannot be promised and may well need some spare time by the Wedmistress, hallowed be her name, before being introduced. Counter to that, with enough good will and good sense a good idea is more than likely to be added to included.

For all the stigma that a mental category has, being able to safely cater for that section would be a great boon to DU and its' members, writing for catharsis and all that.

xsteff1991x
Stephanie Simpson
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 31st Mar 2015

Well, hopefully it'll be considered 😀 X

Nicoleslays1116
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 28th Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 3

Depression is a serious issue! So yes, I do believe it should have a category

Mountainriverman
Strange Creature
Joined 1st Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 4

Yes, poetry helped me so much when i have been depressed

composedWITHrazors
Blade Artist
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom 6awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 84

I think its a good idea.
I think its a way for people who have troubles to connect. If you are seriously depressed, the idea of one-up-man-ship does not even register in your head. You may just need to vent. And reading another persons words may resonate with you. Nine Inch Nails were my saviour through my formative years.
There are far too many people out there that easily mock and dismiss. The people who do not need to share words of depression or dark thoughts do not have to get involved in the posts.

I would maybe call the niche NEGATIVE THOUGHTS though. Its a bit broader and has less of the misunderstood stigma depression has.

Unless you have experienced depression you should not really pass comment. And if you have take the time out to realise we all process things in our own way. It does not make everyone a poser. Pain is subjective.

Anyway, just to reiterate I think this is a good idea and I will definatly post in this niche, words I did not deem appropriate elseswhere.

Cexcesfulpleasures
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 14th Apr 2017
Forum Posts: 5

Yes there should be a forum on depresstion it's a growing epidemic it should be addressed with talk.. simple talk and wherever it goes  the voice of despair has it's fifthteen minutes of fame we all need to break silence at some point and the remedy is exposing your hurt to overcome physiological imbalances just knowing you can be heard and understood has it's effect on a process that remedies itself
Who hasn't been through hell and purgatory to not have internal stories that might heal or release what bothers your life.....
So remember suppression comes before depression these Sessions
Relieves aggression....

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16074

Thats an interesting idea. Depression is quite specific. However for the moment, I believe poems and writes about depression can be posted under 'Self Poem' or even in 'Dark Poems'. Miscellaneous is another category that can be used.  

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

We now have a theme for #depression

Check out this discussion for more info on this new feature:
https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/groups/dispatch-box/discussion/900/

Go to page:
Go to: