Page:

privacy option

poet Anonymous

I think it would be nice to have the option of who actually gets to see the pieces that you post. The default would be public, but it would be nice to have a 'locked' option where only the author has access. The third option would be to only have the author's follower's be able to read. An option to only let specific users see as well.

Just an idea.

also, an option to have your account open to the public or private would be nice as well.

hornyatmorn
Twisted Dreamer
2awards
Joined 8th Dec 2014
Forum Posts: 124

These are indeed nice ideas and when i joint this site i was hoping that some of them would be already in place. I was told that there are not any such provisions. So I think that the prime considerations of this site are commercial (ie to serve the interests of its owners rather than its members) and I don't have any problem with that as such, but it results in the disparity of reads per poem that we get between explicitly erotic (meaning poems with masturbatory value)poetry and all other kinds of poetry, whose division into 10 or 20 categories as it stands at the moment is a bit silly.
To be more precise, if you mention "cunt" or "cock" in your poem you are bound to have 200 reads on the 1st day, if you believe that you wrote something worthy and you post it in good faith but is not erotic (not even masturbatory) you may not get noticed at all.
So, if one has the time and the inclination...

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

This topic came up once before, and there were pros and cons on both sides of it.  Privatizing profiles and works, was thought to be a discouragement to internet-surfers who may want to browse the site without having to sign up, yet not privatizing things, leaves it all wide open to plagiarism.  Personally, I think things should be members-only, just to keep some privacy and control over your work.  That's not to say that people won't sign up just to spam, plagiarize and whatever--it happens already, but it's just an added security feature.  

poet Anonymous

for the most part, i don't mind my work out in the open. i don't have my name or any other website/social media attached to this profile. so the people i am hiding from (yes, i came here to write things that people in my real life wouldn't read) probably won't find me. BUT, it would still be nice to have some things private-ish.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

hornyatmorn said:So I think that the prime considerations of this site are commercial (ie to serve the interests of its owners rather than its members)

This made me chuckle, if only it didn't actually cost me money to run this website! Assuming I also wanted to pay myself minimum wage for all the hours, on top of the money I spend on domain/servers etc. then I'd probably be about 60k down by now..

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

minimum wage for the elves too, yo !   where’s Jim Larkin when we need him

admin
DU Webmistress
1awards

lepperochan said:minimum wage for the elves too, yo !   where’s Jim Larkin when we need him

You're giving me ideas now, to get you guys some uniforms too

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1530

admin said:[quote-295716-lepperochan]minimum wage for the elves too, yo !   where’s Jim Larkin when we need him

You're giving me ideas now, to get you guys some uniforms too

[/quote]

Well, uniforms are kinds formal without an office to report to, but you could sell DUP tee-shirts. I'll buy one in each color...
JJ

hornyatmorn
Twisted Dreamer
2awards
Joined 8th Dec 2014

Sorry, admin, if I offended.
I don't know the ins and outs or the numbers involved and so I may have made a stupid supposition based only on the fact that erotica is the prime target of most readers (I can't complain about that either cause I write a lot of it), but any way I'm thankful for this site and the hospitality you provide.
And I would buy a T shirt too!

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

MadameLavender said:This topic came up once before, and there were pros and cons on both sides of it.  Privatizing profiles and works, was thought to be a discouragement to internet-surfers who may want to browse the site without having to sign up, yet not privatizing things, leaves it all wide open to plagiarism.  Personally, I think things should be members-only, just to keep some privacy and control over your work.  That's not to say that people won't sign up just to spam, plagiarize and whatever--it happens already, but it's just an added security feature.  

Forums that are closed to unregistered folk usually wither and die, despite personal invitations and word of mouth.

Just speaking from experience.

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

hornyatmorn said:Sorry, admin, if I offended.
I don't know the ins and outs or the numbers involved and so I may have made a stupid supposition based only on the fact that erotica is the prime target of most readers (I can't complain about that either cause I write a lot of it), but any way I'm thankful for this site and the hospitality you provide.
And I would buy a T shirt too!

DUP ranking #1 for erotic poetry and other similar phrases in Google may play a significant factor in why the erotica gets additional reads.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

Magnetron said:[quote-295258-MadameLavender]This topic came up once before, and there were pros and cons on both sides of it.  Privatizing profiles and works, was thought to be a discouragement to internet-surfers who may want to browse the site without having to sign up, yet not privatizing things, leaves it all wide open to plagiarism.  Personally, I think things should be members-only, just to keep some privacy and control over your work.  That's not to say that people won't sign up just to spam, plagiarize and whatever--it happens already, but it's just an added security feature.  

Forums that are closed to unregistered folk usually wither and die, despite personal invitations and word of mouth.

Just speaking from experience.[/quote]

True, but if there was a way to leave the forums public, but privatize the user profiles and poems within the profiles--I think that's the idea that seems to be what people are curious about.  

hornyatmorn
Twisted Dreamer
2awards
Joined 8th Dec 2014

That's exactly it, ML.
Anyhow, I'm one of those people that most of my submissions would be open to unregistered users, but it would be nice to have the option to keep some more private and only for the use and criticism of registered users.

admin
DU Webmistress
1awards

You can now hide individual poems. Simply choose edit on your poem's page and then click on the hide button.

This is a much requested feature, and is primarily to facilitate people hiding poems temporarily (although there is no time limit). For example, when submitting them to external publications or competitions.

It's not designed to be used on large numbers of poems at a time; it would be time consuming to do so! I've tried to strike a balance between giving author's more control over their submissions, and ensuring that readers don't suddenly lose half their reading lists. Therefore, poems hidden by the author will stay on your reading list. They will be highlighted to you as "hidden" and will not be visible to other members looking at your list. You won't be able to view these poems while they are hidden, but you can remove them from your reading list if so choose.

Page:
Go to: