DU - FAQ

rayheinrich
Death Plane for Teddy
Tyrant of Words
Canada 32awards
Joined 4th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 4409

Here's one to add sometime:

crimsin said:How do I unhide a thread I accidentally hid..please help anyone[font=Courier New][size=2]  1. Click on "DU Forum Catchup" on the left of this page.
 2. Count to about 20 as sometimes this page is kinda slow
    to come up.
 3. When it comes up, look on its upper right corner.
 4. You will see: "view / edit hidden threads".
 5. Click on this.
 6. When this page comes up you will see a list of the
    threads you've hidden.
 7. Check the box(s) of the one(s) you want to unhide.
 8. Click the "Unhide Selected Threads" Button.

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2608

Thank you so much Ray it's much appreciated I thought I was locked out of the threads..silly me I was accidentally hiding them..

Jestalessa
Dangerous Mind
Scotland 35awards
Joined 27th July 2010
Forum Posts: 2329

Q:  What, in the name of poetry, does Whitewand6 mean by "h i d d e n"?

A:  When Whitewand6 posts this seemingly cryptic message, it means he has used the peace-keeping "hide thread" feature to hide the thread from his view! So if anyone addresses him on the thread after having seen the mystical string of letters, he may not see it at all, and will be even less likely to respond.

another question i've seen at least 4x through the forums. [:

Danii
Tyrant of Words
United States 5awards
Joined 27th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 5152

So, he's been blocking us from view? hahaha.  :)

freddwzz
Naked Satirist
Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012
Forum Posts: 496

Jestalessa said:Q:  What, in the name of poetry, does Whitewand6 mean by "h i d d e n"?

A:  When Whitewand6 posts this seemingly cryptic message, it means he has used the peace-keeping "hide thread" feature to hide the thread from his view! So if anyone addresses him on the thread after having seen the mystical string of letters, he may not see it at all, and will be even less likely to respond.

and i thought it is a message only the enlighten shall read through.

MrAlptraum
Mr A
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 17awards
Joined 24th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 1878

and there was me thinking he was taking refuge behind bushes.

Whitewand6
Dangerous Mind
India 16awards
Joined 1st Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 2251

Jestalessa said:Q:  What, in the name of poetry, does Whitewand6 mean by "h i d d e n"?

J, my dear. really? ha. mysterious string of letters..
cryptic message.. you are a true guardian of the weak and the fallen and the hidden. [you should know that] thank you.
or else i would have continued to live as a elusive, mysterious recluse alomost like the higgs-boson particle.

p.s-sorry to dissappoint people. it could acuallly mean many things. well, never mind.

p.p.s- just so you know i love you guys. not you, exceptions and
,morons and drones. got a pm according to which eamon had addressed me and asked me if i liked michael jackson. come on, man. cheating. had hidden it alright. so let's move on. yeah?

Danii
Tyrant of Words
United States 5awards
Joined 27th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 5152

So, I noticed when I post a poem, and forget a step like choose critisism, I go back and have to write it all over again.

rayheinrich
Death Plane for Teddy
Tyrant of Words
Canada 32awards
Joined 4th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 4409

Here's something about posting an image, needs a bit of editing but...
[font=Courier New][size=2]
 How to include an image in your forum post:

1. find an image you like on the web

2. right click over the image and select
    "Copy Image Location" (or some such, wording is browser dependent)

3. in the DU reply box type in:
    [[Invalid Image - URL must end with jpeg, jpg, gif, png or bmp]]

6. it should look something like this (only with your image address):

[http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/constraints.png]

That should do it, any questions, just ask.

Here's what it looks like with the above example image address:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/constraints.png

Manon
Strange Creature
Canada
Joined 30th July 2012
Forum Posts: 2

Agreed

Jestalessa
Dangerous Mind
Scotland 35awards
Joined 27th July 2010
Forum Posts: 2329

Three points for those who see favoritism and/or nepotism as a problem with the rating systems and comments on DU:

1. The rating system is based purely on participation, and is a means of seeing at a glance how dedicated a poster is, and to spark enthusiasm for participation (and any gamer would immediately tell you, if you give someone an easily quantifiable reward such as ranks or medals, they will naturally want to put in the effort to achieve them). This is why it's shown nowhere on poem pages, and even towards the very bottom of a user's profile page.

2. Quite frankly, people tend to be attracted to other poets who write like they do. This (in my mind) also explains accusations of collusion in competitions which have come up previously, because users befriend users who write like them, in their preferred style and magnitude of typos/textspeak/care etc, and they tend to like/identify with that kind of poetry best, so they end up picking competition winners that way too. They're not giving awards specifically to their friends, it's just that the same factors govern who's most likely to be friends on DU and whose poetry they like best.

3. When I first came to DU I was annoyed by people who didn't want to use DU the same way I did - as a means of peer review and critique exchange. It took me awhile to come to grips with the fact that DU is used to a spectrum of different ends, ranging from peer review to learning to teaching to honing skills to idle fancy to exorcising demons and unofficial group therapy to self-esteem/confidence boosting to using poetry as a medium for making friends with the same interests. The people getting under your skin are just at a different place on the spectrum of use.

- Courtesy of mjs211

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

So in about 14 hours launches a brand new help section, affectionately called "DU Questions" which I've been developing relentlessly over the last week.

It features;

- Intuitive search as you type functionality (find what you're looking for in existing questions - fast)
- User collaboration to build a useful and comprehensive help section (submit "public" questions)
- Support ticket style help from moderators (submit "public" or "private" questions to ask for help)

I'm going to add questions from this thread - thanks to all who contributed.

jaqp
Azazel
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 14th Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 11

How do I submit something for a competition?

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

jaqp said:How do I submit something for a competition?

Go into the competition thread of your choice, and post your piece just as you did here.  You can type it directly into the reply box or copy/paste from another file if you have it stored on your computer.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: