Go to page:

DU - FAQ

Jestalessa
Dangerous Mind
Scotland 35awards
Joined 27th July 2010
Forum Posts: 2329

Since there's no official thread for this at the moment, thought I'd start to gather some of the most commonly asked questions on the forums and provide a few answers that may be helpful. If you have question suggestions you think belong here, you're welcome to add to it. [:

There is also a teeeeeny tiny "Help" link up in the right hand corner of every page that leads to an FAQ containing most of these questions and answers.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/help/

Q:  How do I delete or deactivate my DU account?

A:  You simply send a private message to "admin" asking her to deactivate your account. It may take a day or two.

Note: DU accounts aren't deleted but are deactivated. Your poems and all comments on those poems are no longer visible, your
    name is taken off of posts you've made in the forums or on others' poems, your inbox is no longer accessible. If you do decide
    to rejoin us, everything will be there just as you left it.

----------------------
Q:  What do I do if someone continues harrassing me via poem comments or by private message?

A:  There is a "block member" option on that person's profile. You are encouraged to take advantage of it if there are unresolvable
    issues with another member. Blocking a user:

- removes that person's poems from your view in the public listings
    - keeps them out of your inbox, and you out of theirs
    - they will not be able to comment on your poems and you won't be able to comment on theirs

-----------------------
Q:  There are threads that do not interest me whatsoever and/or offend me greatly. How can I keep them from clogging my Forum
    Catchup page?

A:  At the top right-hand corner of any given forum thread, you (yes, you), have the incredible power to hide that thread from your
    view. Bickering, offensive behaviour, or just plain old boring, useless threads are instantly erradicated from your life! You're
    welcome.

-----------------------
Q:  I have accidentally hidden threads from my view. How do I unhide them?

A:  
   1. Click on "DU Forum Catchup" on the left of this page.
   2. Count to about 20 as sometimes this page is kinda slow
   to come up.
   3. When it comes up, look on its upper right corner.
   4. You will see: "view / edit hidden threads".
   5. Click on this.
   6. When this page comes up you will see a list of the
   threads you've hidden.
   7. Check the box(s) of the one(s) you want to unhide.
   8. Click the "Unhide Selected Threads" Button.

(Steps courtesy of rayheinrich)

-----------------------
Q:  When I'm running a competition, can I name more than one winner?

A:  Yes, you can message "admin" and ask that another trophy be awarded. Just name the extra winner and voila, it is done.

-----------------------
Q:  Why is no one commenting on my poems?

A:  This site works off of your participation level. If you want people to comment on your poems, try commenting constructively on
    others, enter competitions, engage in forum discussions. Everywhere you post, you leave an impression and a link back to your
    profile and subsequently, your poetry. Give a little to get a little.

------------------------
Q:  Why are these Extreme Content Filters everywhere? I'm getting sick of clicking in every time I want to read something.

A:  Well, here it is. We allow content that is generally considered 18+ and there are many younger users on this site whose
    innocence DU Poetry cannot be responsible for. Users may add a filter to their poem or a moderator will add one if images or
    written content is graphic or deals with extreme subject matter. We like to think it's a minor inconvenience for the posting
    options that all ages are free to take advantage of on DU.

------------------------
Q:  What are Top Critiquer awards and how can I get one? and/or how did I get one?

A:  This thread has got a complete explanation for you.
http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/chat/read/1083/

------------------------
Q:  Hey, who are you calling a Strange Creature? What are the rankings for, what do they do, and how can I climb them?

A:  Rankings don't really do anything but tell you where you are by post count in relation to others on the site. Behold, the rank
order and how ranks are achieved:
http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/chat/read/11/

poet Anonymous

hi Jesta!!! Thanks for taking time to give so much help--I wish this had been here before but glad its here now I appreciate you taking the time to help everyone-very good advice there too peace, Miki

Jestalessa
Dangerous Mind
Scotland 35awards
Joined 27th July 2010

mikimoondancer said:hi Jesta!!! Thanks for taking time to give so much help--I wish this had been here before but glad its here now I appreciate you taking the time to help everyone-very good advice there too peace, Miki

aw,
no worries. it's been on my personal thinking-about-maybe-doing list for a while. x [:

poet Anonymous

I wonder about how we could stop people from creating false profiles to be mean with???? I have thought and as yet have found no simple solutions-so the block feature is cool-but they arent always ballsy enough to use their own name-and yet too stupid to see the dots are easily connected...LOL just mull it over.....Peace x Miki

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

thanks Jestalessa..

converted to sticky thread :)

poet Anonymous

admin said:thanks Jestalessa..

converted to sticky thread :)

Thank you too :-)

Indie
Miss Indie
Tyrant of Words
Australia 34awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 3209

Thanks Jesta, this is great

poet Anonymous

Thank you Jesta....your clarifications are very useful.
Kitty

Jestalessa
Dangerous Mind
Scotland 35awards
Joined 27th July 2010

no problem, everyone. it keeps the boards from getting the same q's over and over. [:

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2144

Thanks, we all appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Jestalessa
Dangerous Mind
Scotland 35awards
Joined 27th July 2010

Thanks to Indie for finding this very useful guide on what plagiarism is. Work found posted in violation of these guidelines will probably be removed from the site. We want you to show us the world through your eyes!

Taken for educational purposes from http://www.plagiarism.org

What is Plagiarism?

Many people think of plagiarism as copying another's work, or borrowing someone else's original ideas. But terms like "copying" and "borrowing" can disguise the seriousness of the offense:
According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, to "plagiarize" means

to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
  to use (another's production) without crediting the source
  to commit literary theft
  to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source.

In other words, plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward.

But can words and ideas really be stolen?

According to U.S. law, the answer is yes. The expression of original ideas is considered intellectual property, and is protected by copyright laws, just like original inventions. Almost all forms of expression fall under copyright protection as long as they are recorded in some way (such as a book or a computer file).
All of the following are considered plagiarism:

turning in someone else's work as your own
  copying words or ideas from someone else without giving credit
  failing to put a quotation in quotation marks
  giving incorrect information about the source of a quotation
  changing words but copying the sentence structure of a source without giving credit
  copying so many words or ideas from a source that it makes up the majority of your work, whether you give credit or not (see our section on "fair use" rules)

Most cases of plagiarism can be avoided, however, by citing sources. Simply acknowledging that certain material has been borrowed, and providing your audience with the information necessary to find that source, is usually enough to prevent plagiarism. See our section on citation for more information on how to cite sources properly.

Types of Plagiarism

Sources Not Cited

"The Ghost Writer"
  The writer turns in another's work, word-for-word, as his or her own.
  "The Photocopy"
  The writer copies significant portions of text straight from a single source, without alteration.
  "The Potluck Paper"
  The writer tries to disguise plagiarism by copying from several different sources, tweaking the sentences to make them fit together while retaining most of the original phrasing.
  "The Poor Disguise"
  Although the writer has retained the essential content of the source, he or she has altered the paper's appearance slightly by changing key words and phrases.
  "The Labor of Laziness"
  The writer takes the time to paraphrase most of the paper from other sources and make it all fit together, instead of spending the same effort on original work.
  "The Self-Stealer"
  The writer "borrows" generously from his or her previous work, violating policies concerning the expectation of originality adopted by most academic institutions.

Sources Cited (But Still Plagiarized)

"The Forgotten Footnote"
  The writer mentions an author's name for a source, but neglects to include specific information on the location of the material referenced. This often masks other forms of plagiarism by obscuring source locations.
  "The Misinformer"
  The writer provides inaccurate information regarding the sources, making it impossible to find them.
  "The Too-Perfect Paraphrase"
  The writer properly cites a source, but neglects to put in quotation marks text that has been copied word-for-word, or close to it. Although attributing the basic ideas to the source, the writer is falsely claiming original presentation and interpretation of the information.
  "The Resourceful Citer"
  The writer properly cites all sources, paraphrasing and using quotations appropriately. The catch? The paper contains almost no original work! It is sometimes difficult to spot this form of plagiarism because it looks like any other well-researched document.
  "The Perfect Crime"
  Well, we all know it doesn't exist. In this case, the writer properly quotes and cites sources in some places, but goes on to paraphrase other arguments from those sources without citation. This way, the writer tries to pass off the paraphrased material as his or her own analysis of the cited material.

What is citation?

A "citation" is the way you tell your readers that certain material in your work came from another source. It also gives your readers the information necessary to find that source again, including:

information about the author
  the title of the work
  the name and location of the company that published your copy of the source
  the date your copy was published
  the page numbers of the material you are borrowing

Why should I cite sources?

Giving credit to the original author by citing sources is the only way to use other people's work without plagiarizing. But there are a number of other reasons to cite sources:

citations are extremely helpful to anyone who wants to find out more about your ideas and where they came from.
  not all sources are good or right -- your own ideas may often be more accurate or interesting than those of your sources. Proper citation will keep you from taking the rap for someone else's bad ideas.
  citing sources shows the amount of research you've done.
  citing sources strengthens your work by lending outside support to your ideas.

Doesn't citing sources make my work seem less original?

Not at all. On the contrary, citing sources actually helps your reader distinguish your ideas from those of your sources. This will actually emphasize the originality of your own work.
When do I need to cite?

Whenever you borrow words or ideas, you need to acknowledge their source. The following situations almost always require citation:

whenever you use quotes
  whenever you paraphrase
  whenever you use an idea that someone else has already expressed
  whenever you make specific reference to the work of another
  whenever someone else's work has been critical in developing your own ideas.

Now we all know!

poet Anonymous

THIS IS FROM ANOTHER THREAD

Waggy said: I wondered if there is anyway that shaped poems can be published. I have tried several times to transfer some but they alter state in submit stage. I have then tried to correct the spacing but, looking through edit, they have become worse.
I am probably doing some basic step wrong or stupidly missing something altogether.
Any help or advice would be very welcome as I enjoy, and am challenged by, this for writing.

Waggy - thank you for bringing this up
I am not sure how to copy and paste a shaped poem
and RETAIN its shape in transfering
I even have problems transferring from my word processing
programs to this message/poem space....
We need to look into what EXTENSIONS are used for DUP docs
One of my next poems will be a spaced one
I can save it as a .jpeg or image file
and perhaps then paste it on like an accompanying image
I do a lot of photoshop like  work
so maybe this would work
Kitty

ISSUES
1. PUBLISHING SHAPED POEMS
2. WHAT EXTENSION IS USED....I USED ABIWORD AND RICH TEXT FORMAT
and they need further work...but are readable
.txt files are not for this
is it an .html file?
3. I also write poetry and publish using .jpeg
which is for images....I have done this on FLICKR
and can download an image to GO with a poem
....BUT can the .jpeg poem be uploaded without
any of the words, spaces, wing-dings or letters
not being transcribed EXACTLY the way I wrote it

Thank you for considering this issue
Kitty

Deontejordan
D. Jordan
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 4th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 703

When I put an entry into a comp. can I use poems I've already written, and if I can am I allowed to put the poem URL in instead of copying and pasting?

mjs211
MikeTheEngineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 20awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2010
Forum Posts: 1572

Deontejordan said:When I put an entry into a comp. can I use poems I've already written, and if I can am I allowed to put the poem URL in instead of copying and pasting?
It depends on the competition judge. Some only want new work, others will accept anything you've written. As for the URL you can post that of course, but my personal opinion is that it's probably better to post the poem itself as then you know it's definitely been seen.

RSena
Sena
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 13th May 2011
Forum Posts: 309

VERY GOOD, JESTA, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST IDEAS, FOR THE GOOD OF DUP.
SENA

Go to page:
Go to: