Go to page:

Is my style getting boring?

Sapphirewolf
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 5th Oct 2022
Forum Posts: 18

Are there any suggestions on how to improve my writing style? But not stray too far into another style? I love the rhythm i have going but someone told me it becomes boring because everyone already know how they are going to go.

Thank you in advance for feedback

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2294

Sapphirewolf said:Are there any suggestions on how to improve my writing style? But not stray too far into another style? I love the rhythm i have going but someone told me it becomes boring because everyone already know how they are going to go.

Thank you in advance for feedback

ARE You bored with Your style?

The comment about Your writing is a wee bit confusing to me
because each of us writes in a way that pleases and expresses.

Perhaps,
You can experiment and write in other forms such as Senryu or Sonnets?
Never hurts to GO FOR IT and try other forms but to completely change is only for You to decide, don'tcha think?  

Noble_Incubus
Thought Provoker
Australia 3awards
Joined 28th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 235

The short answer is “no”. Your writing is definitely not boring.

You are relatively young and new to the site and your style is still developing which is very exciting to see, definitely not boring.

Most writers are their own worst critic, it’s only natural to find fault in your own poetry and really the only way of getting past that is to accept that you are who you are and you write the way that you write. What is more important is answering the question: does writing help you in some way? If the answer is “yes” then keep at it! 😊

I’m saying all that, of course you will want to develop as a poet. To do that you will need to challenge yourself. I see that you like Scottish folklore, perhaps as a first challenge you could find an old and obscure Scottish story, song or poem and rewrite it in your style.

Sapphirewolf
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 5th Oct 2022

I will accept to challenge myself as you have suggested. It sounds very enjoyable. I already have an object in mind.

Thank you for your honest view, I greatly appreciate it. I was merely seeking out short advice and not such in depth, to where you would go read my work before giving an answer. But thank you.

I do enjoy the way I write. I don't want to change the rhythm but thought change may be good. Its hard though so I believe after reading your reply and thinking over the questions that i will not stop.

You are most kind and i look forward to viewing your works of poetry!

🌻

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 164

Noble_Incubus said:The short answer is “no”. Your writing is definitely not boring.

You are relatively young and new to the site and your style is still developing which is very exciting to see, definitely not boring.

Most writers are their own worst critic, it’s only natural to find fault in your own poetry and really the only way of getting past that is to accept that you are who you are and you write the way that you write. What is more important is answering the question: does writing help you in some way? If the answer is “yes” then keep at it! 😊

I’m saying all that, of course you will want to develop as a poet. To do that you will need to challenge yourself. I see that you like Scottish folklore, perhaps as a first challenge you could find an old and obscure Scottish story, song or poem and rewrite it in your style.

Excellent advice. You gave her a hundred dollar session for free.
Good to see this type of mentoring going on.  It's awesome, actually.

Sapphirewolf
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 5th Oct 2022

That he did, and we'll. You changed your profile picture. I love seeing others faces, then read their work. It makes reading their work have a new voice in my head.

Fiftysevenhours
Thought Provoker
Scotland 4awards
Joined 25th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 200

You've had some sage advice..and re reading your initial query, someone is not everyone.  Do not worry what others think just write, write, write.. everyday if you can.

To get back into writing the one thing that helped me was journaling and from there if something led to a 'write' I tugged on the thread.  I found it was easy to feel trapped by the same repeating words, often the same theme.  Yet usually that means I've not accepted or learned or found what was needed to change or develop my perspective while journaling and it leaches through into the write.

It's your journey and it is different for us all, look forward to seeing where you go!

DanielChristensen
The Fire Elemental
Tyrant of Words
United States 36awards
Joined 27th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 239

Hey Sapphire I think its an important point made above, how you feel about your writing is most important, what it means to you to express yourself, that intention comes across to the reader. Plenty of tools available to create transformative mind's eye imagery and alchemical metaphor, such as describing a scene through your senses and letting that description carry the quick of the living moment and the emotional presence. Assonance, consonance and alliteration can lend a kind of subliminal rhythm to word flow, as you develop those skills they become innate and natural to your pallet of expression. It seems a limitless recombination of concepts to create something unique to you, but the wording is, to me, less salient than the feeling inspiring it.

poet Anonymous

Amen DC. The innate beauty of creation is not to be found in school boy grammar & text books, but from within. The soul only knows, what the soul can see. Confucius or Bart Simpson said that,  

jenny_is_hungry
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 22nd Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 30

Listen man. I don't edit my voice, I speak the truth, a lot of times I'm confusing and can't be followed. Who cares? Put your art and yourself out there. We like to think our voice will reach the masses, but most of the masses don't even know what they need. Speak in your voice, study the old scriptures of literature that call to you, and do you. Your style is yours and it reflects who you are in tone. You can take a class on studying the great poets, but in the end, they used the diction of their time and people rejected them openly. I also feel the interpretations of historical works is overloaded with too many voices and opinions. Most of the writers we worship to this day were exhiles in their community. So seriously, why care for the opinion of sheep? What do any of the poets of this site know other than the same camaraderie found in any other institution? Many will tell you you are shit, ignore you, or simply not get your concept. It's not your bag to help any understand. It's not your problem to reach the world. Sometimes the select few is enough. Hope this helps.

Sapphirewolf
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 5th Oct 2022

Thank you for your honesty. I have decided to be myself and write what I feel. It's very relaxing and therapeutic. I do enjoy the old works. Many have said the same as you so I'll try not to let my own mind ruin what I want to write.

Liziantus-Marantus
Ivelina Boneva
Thought Provoker
Bulgaria
Joined 7th Nov 2018
Forum Posts: 98

I would say, you can try out a new poem style or kind of poem to write,but your style represents you,and it's your own.
Don't listen to them,just write whatever makes you happy!

poet Anonymous

I've been writing a while and even I find the advice above to be helpful. If you love writing, then write with a good amount of patience in your back pocket. :)

Liziantus-Marantus
Ivelina Boneva
Thought Provoker
Bulgaria
Joined 7th Nov 2018
Forum Posts: 98

Exactly! You don't have to change yourself and the way you write,just to write good poetry,when you already are so skilled at it.

promisemhone
Promise Mhone
Strange Creature
Malawi
Joined 15th Apr 2024
Forum Posts: 2

What you need to do is to practice a lot and give it time you will get your best tune

Go to page:
Go to: