Go to page:

Groups...WTF?

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5734

lepperochan said:think the idea for groups was borne from the chaos which forums evolved. I think the idea was/is sound enough. In terms of change I'd probably put the word plays back into the forums. because the craic in the ice.

I think this. 1000%. Part of the reason the community feel is gone is because people have forgotten how to fun… Sometimes you can go days with perhaps two posts in the forums in total. The interaction builds community. In my humble opinion anyway.

I’m not sure about the lack of group direction thing. To be honest, we were all handed these groups to lead not really knowing anything about them. So I think they’ve done well in that regards. However - participation is key to making them work. And to be honest… a lot of people don’t really understand what they are and how they work. As illustrated by the thread starter going… well… wtf are groups…

So perhaps it needs a bit of work on all sides.

arortiz73
MTP
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 24th Sep 2013
Forum Posts: 298

Mostly, diplomacy is crucial. We all share the goal of art production and its fosterization... so the current overgrown and wild polarization is proven self destructive to this environment.

To be specific, the first thing that a new member should encounter on this site (or any community site), is a faction option. This would instantly mitigate juvenile conflicts such as the ones that are rife here. Then, each faction should have a user(s) to broker positive cross-interest communications between other groups or "factions", neither of which we have here.

DUP is a world of sprouting saplings and wriggling roots, we could all be buddies if the garden is tended separately and constantly.

Feel me?

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

☝️ …I may have misunderstood what you mean here, so please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong… but I guess “factions” have been the cause of a lot of conflict here, so I’m not sure that should be encouraged?

Like I said, if I’ve read that wrong, I apologise. I’m fatigued to fuck.

I guess that’s what I miss about the early community days. We were all one. And that always seemed to work. If there was a problem, the community sorted it.

I guess with those wriggling roots you’re always gonna get a bit of a shit and a bit of sunshine. Seems to be how most communities work in the metaphorical sense.

arortiz73
MTP
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 24th Sep 2013

I think you understood me right, perhaps just under a different light. The poetry categories were used properly once upon a time, but they didn't have any welcome commity or governance. We should all be one, I agree, but different minds are going to differ, and many people lack the discretion to communicate maturely. Factions work for all MMORPGs, and the companies that host them make billions $€£¥. Factions work. It's not segregation, it's an open door when the other doors shut on you. Everyone should feel welcome to knock on any door. 🙂

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2287

Northern_Soul said:Tallen, I’m just gonna say this publicly so it’s on record somewhere. I don't want to be your best mate, and I don’t think we ever will be, but I have no issue with you. We stay in our own space and that’s good enough for me.

I’m honestly really tired. You wouldn’t believe how tired. I just want a quiet life. Just saying that out loud.

Fair enough

& while i love Your writing
agree on the not wanting to be best of friends

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Tallen said:

Fair enough

& while i love Your writing
agree on the not wanting to be best of friends

Happy days.

arortiz73 said:I think you understood me right, perhaps just under a different light. The poetry categories were used properly once upon a time, but they didn't have any welcome commity or governance. We should all be one, I agree, but different minds are going to differ, and many people lack the discretion to communicate maturely. Factions work for all MMORPGs, and the companies that host them make billions $€£¥. Factions work. It's not segregation, it's an open door when the other doors shut on you. Everyone should feel welcome to knock on any door. 🙂

I guess that’s what the groups were trying to achieve - giving people different areas of interest for them to commune in.

The trouble is… not everyone really understands that they’re there, or even know they exist. And I guess this goes back to the original post of the thread. Somebody (a long standing member even) not understanding what they are or the functionality of them.

It would be good to have a pinned post perhaps on the front page or on sign up somewhere perhaps that explains them a little. I dunno maybe the webmiss could take that into account.

arortiz73
MTP
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 24th Sep 2013

That would be awesome!

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

arortiz73 said:That would be awesome!

It would indeed. Plenty of space on the front page to do so :)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14580

DU'S Team NaPoWriMo is a group success story that works beautifully. It saves messaging/emailing over a dozen members updates or challenge reports. All we have to do is post in one topic and everyone sees it. We appreciate Webmiss' hard work and effort to provide us a place to congregate.

There are forums about and posts in those forums where she explains groups and their concepts, though it's been years since I've read them.

People have different concepts of fun. I love to engage in intelligent discussion and debate; to me that's entertaining and enlightening. These word games numb my brain. But that's me - to each their own without judgment.

With the exception of the "What have you made" thread, I haven't opened one of those question or word game threads in . . . I can't even remember. I don't care for them. And that doesn't mean I have forgotten how to have "fun". It's that my definition of enjoyment and how I choose to spend my time is different.

Judging by the lack of interest from the site as a whole, I'm not alone.

arortiz73
MTP
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 24th Sep 2013

Despite the *(...) Ahavati said:*(DESPITE THE) "DU'S Team NaPoWriMo is a group..." (plug),  "People have different concepts of fun. I love to engage in intelligent discussion and debate; to me that's entertaining and enlightening. These word games numb my brain. But that's me - to each their own without judgment... And that doesn't mean I have forgotten how to have "fun". It's that my definition of enjoyment and how I choose to spend my time is different.

Judging by the lack of interest from the site as a whole, I'm not alone."
I agree, you, we're not alone. This why overt factions would work beautifully on the site's homepage. The proof is in the pudding.

As a side note: Ahavati, I appreciate the effort that you put into this site on a regular basis, and I'm very impressed that you used your own photo for your profile picture. 🙂

- Ray

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

arortiz73 said:Despite the *(...) I agree, you, we're not alone. This why overt factions would work beautifully on the site's homepage. The proof is in the pudding.

As a side note: Ahavati, I appreciate the effort that you put into this site on a regular basis, and I'm very impressed that you used your own photo for your profile picture. 🙂

- Ray

You're welcome. As I was being painted as a withered-old hag by some, I thought I would prove them wrong. I'm proud to be a 63-year-old crone who was blessed with years to interact with grandchildren. It's something not afforded to many. I am believing I will see a "great-grand" in about 15 years or so!

I miss the debate forum. I tried to tell them it would bomb as a private group. No one wants to debate in a house whose owner could kick them out due to personal biased. Debates should take place on neutral ground where everyone is free to express their opinion. The issue here at DU is that hardly anyone knows how to actually debate without hitting below the belt with personal insults rather than focusing on the topic.

Thus, I understand the reasoning behind moving it to a group; however, taking action against repeat perpetrators would've been more appropriate and just for the site as a whole. Hiding things away kills the spirit.

Edit: It really wasn't a "plug", as you can't join the group unless you're a team member. It was a genuine appreciation post amid many suggestions. I guess you would've had to be on the team prior to the group to experience the chaos that was crossed messages and so forth for the first few years. Ours works, beautifully. No suggestions are warranted.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2287

Ahavati said:

You're welcome. As I was being painted as a withered-old hag by some, I thought I would prove them wrong. I'm proud to be a 63-year-old crone who was blessed with years to interact with grandchildren. It's something not afforded to many. I am believing I will see a "great-grand" in about 15 years or so!

I miss the debate forum. I tried to tell them it would bomb as a private group. No one wants to debate in a house whose owner could kick them out due to personal biased. Debates should take place on neutral ground where everyone is free to express their opinion. The issue here at DU is that hardly anyone knows how to actually debate without hitting below the belt with personal insults rather than focusing on the topic.

Thus, I understand the reasoning behind moving it to a group; however, taking action against repeat perpetrators would've been more appropriate and just for the site as a whole. Hiding things away kills the spirit.

Wha? old Hag? where the heck did that come from?  Always in my mind's eye, i saw Your spirit as a 30+ yr old.

i too, miss the Energy of debate and logic

Sigh..... some hidden will ever be hidden as i suppose it's just the nature of resonance.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

[quote-563751-Ahavati]

Firstly, the group belongs to Viddax.  The man is the only person who can boot someone. anyone who got booted deserved it

only person taking shots at people is you. just can't help yourself

Thirdly, you had a group and you ran it to the ground.

your present group, the interest in it has halved . because the 'mind numbing" rules and regulations  .....in a fun group, so don't go Patting  yourself in the back too much. There were more people policing it than people outside "the team"  who I absolutely appreciate the effort which they made

but, control freak so yeah there's that

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tallen said:

Wha? old Hag? where the heck did that come from?  Always in my mind's eye, i saw Your spirit as a 30+ yr old.

i too, miss the Energy of debate and logic

Sigh..... some hidden will ever be hidden as i suppose it's just the nature of resonance.

Thanks, Tallen! xo

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

lepperochan said:

I miss the debate forum. I tried to tell them it would bomb as a private group. No one wants to debate in a house whose owner could kick them out due to personal biased. Debates should take place on neutral ground where everyone is free to express their opinion. The issue here at DU is that hardly anyone knows how to actually debate without hitting below the belt with personal insults rather than focusing on the topic. ~ Ahavati

Firstly, the group belongs to Viddax.  The man is the only person who can boot someone. anyone who got booted deserved it ~ lepperochan

Viddax may now, but in the beginning you did too. And you know you had a habit of booting people not because of something they did in a group, but your personal biases. I do know that JB and I joined some group that you ran in good faith when groups were first created, and hadn't said one single word before receiving a message and a ban from the group by you.

I have no idea if anyone got booted or not from the debate group; I left the ghost town years ago. I see you did too? Or at least the moderator role. Viddax is a good one to run the group; I have no issue with him at all. But he's never here.

only person taking shots at people is you. just can't help yourself

How did I take a shot at someone? If you're going to accuse me of something, please provide the proof. I'll be the first to apologize if I took a direct shot at anyone.

Thirdly, you had a group and you ran it to the ground.

If you're speaking of the critique group, actually, no; I resigned due to a biased moderator ( who was later removed for that very biasedness ) being placed in it.

your present group, the interest in it has halved . because the 'mind numbing" rules and regulations  .....in a fun group, so don't go Patting  yourself in the back too much. There were more people policing it than people outside "the team"  who I absolutely appreciate the effort which they made

Interest in the group is not halved; we are very particular about who we allow on the team, and it was suggested by a director ( not myself ) that we stick to the core group to avoid unnecessary drama.  I didn't realize I patted myself on the back at all. It's a TEAM effort, and I'm pretty certain I mentioned the TEAM and how appreciative we are.

Amid all the criticisms and suggestions, an appreciation post is certainly warranted.

but, control freak so yeah there's that

Direct personal references such as these are an example of why DU cannot have a debate thread.

I don't need to be in control. I'm actually a B type personality. I just can't be controlled, intimidated, nor manipulated - and that drives some crazy.

Go to page:
Go to: