RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

Hey people

What's the story with groups?

Thing is, I realize some are dormant for particular reasons. But those that are open seem extremely quiet and unsupported?

Is it a content thing?
Is it a functionality thing?
Did they never take off as expected?
Or are they as busy as Craic at a corner stop sign, but I just never got the correct directions?

All views and opinions would be great...
Especially if you don't use groups or shy away from them for a reason...

Cool discus...

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5737

1. They never took off as expected.

2. The functionality is .. well… a bit crap… compared to the forums making them frustrating AF to navigate.

3. People forget the groups are there. And or become so frustrated by the endless notifications, they just leave.

4. I don’t think it’s the content. There’s actually some really good stuff hidden away in these groups. It’s just people forget about them.

5. I hate to say it, but the whole clique thing plays a part in a group is well. People will avoid a group depending on who’s running it which will always happen when you start titling people. Also sad but true.

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012

Northern_Soul said:1. They never took off as expected.

2. The functionality is .. well… a bit crap… compared to the forums making them frustrating AF to navigate.

3. People forget the groups are there. And or become so frustrated by the endless notifications, they just leave.

4. I don’t think it’s the content. There’s actually some really good stuff hidden away in these groups. It’s just people forget about them.

5. I hate to say it, but the whole clique thing plays a part in a group is well. People will avoid a group depending on who’s running it which will always happen when you start titling people. Also sad but true.

Does anyone else agree with this summary?

I've got to admit point 5 is just... umm... ridiculous, we're bloody adults here, what the hell do we have clicky shit for! *smile and wave

point 3, is interesting I actually thought I wasn't getting group notifications but it must be that they quiet.

part 2. I also found navigating odd, it seems if what you looking for isn't on the first 10 posts it's a little hide and seek.

part 1... is worth discussion IMO, what made them not take off initially? was it lack of support or misinterpretation of the concept?

Indie
Miss Indie
Tyrant of Words
Australia 34awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 3209

I agree with points 2 and 5. And I'd like to add another, someone hijacking the thread and making it uninteresting or uncomfortable by monopolising it with certain topics or tangents.

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012

Indie said:I agree with points 3 and 5. And I'd like to add another, someone hijacking the thread and making it uninteresting or uncomfortable by monopolising it with certain topics or tangents.

thanks for that info, I hadn't come across that before, yet!

DreamIllusions
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 17th May 2013
Forum Posts: 33

Indie said:I agree with points 2 and 5. And I'd like to add another, someone hijacking the thread and making it uninteresting or uncomfortable by monopolising it with certain topics or tangents.

OOF, unfortunately, no one can stop that sort of thing, you just have to hope someone can peel away from said tangent and get going in the right direction again.

poet Anonymous

I was quite active back in the day at Du when the idea of groups were launched for the reason of de-cluttering the window below of the active threads.  We used to have many 'game' threads which were source of interaction together and that included small mini poetry threads but unfortunately as with anything sometimes even those threads turned into heated egging each other with words/poetry lol
We had many other random threads like discussions, topics which also turned sometimes into fights sending the threads to boiler room.
So webmiss decided to keep it away from all public eye thus creating groups to keep them more organized and appointing mods to keep things peaceful.

Unfortunately, its poorly designed.  The format is not friendly nor accessible in many ways it reminds me of FB groups the way discussions fall down vertically and it takes forever to find something.  For start, Groups should be part of the menu up above in "MY DU" along with Submit poem, my home, updates etc.

One of the best formats back in the day was a site called Hi5 (i don't know if anyone remembers it) but all the group threads were accessible (opened up) horizontally while the topics were arranged vertically.  During that social media infancy stage Hi5 attracted people from all over the world because of their exceptionally well designed group format.  It was booming with brilliance in every group, in every topic.  
Since then, I have not seen any other social site match the same way and that's why we deem to look at them as boring despite how advanced technology has become they haven't prioritized groups.

As for cliquey da cluck lol
yep that's another thing that's always been well and alive here and it will never be gone until they actually make an attempt to get in touch with those people who they've had frictions with in the past to say, 'hey, lets give it another chance.'  They'll probably be surprised to see how much others have changed and are willing.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
arortiz73
MTP
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 24th Sep 2013
Forum Posts: 298

Vee said:I was quite active back in the day at Du when the idea of groups were launched for the reason of de-cluttering the window below of the active threads.  We used to have many 'game' threads which were source of interaction together and that included small mini poetry threads but unfortunately as with anything sometimes even those threads turned into heated egging each other with words/poetry lol
We had many other random threads like discussions, topics which also turned sometimes into fights sending the threads to boiler room.
So webmiss decided to keep it away from all public eye thus creating groups to keep them more organized and appointing mods to keep things peaceful.

Unfortunately, its poorly designed.  The format is not friendly nor accessible in many ways it reminds me of FB groups the way discussions fall down vertically and it takes forever to find something.  For start, Groups should be part of the menu up above in "MY DU" along with Submit poem, my home, updates etc.

One of the best formats back in the day was a site called Hi5 (i don't know if anyone remembers it) but all the group threads were accessible (opened up) horizontally while the topics were arranged vertically.  During that social media infancy stage Hi5 attracted people from all over the world because of their exceptionally well designed group format.  It was booming with brilliance in every group, in every topic.  
Since then, I have not seen any other social site match the same way and that's why we deem to look at them as boring despite how advanced technology has become they haven't prioritized groups.

As for cliquey da cluck lol
yep that's another thing that's always been well and alive here and it will never be gone until they actually make an attempt to get in touch with those people who they've had frictions with in the past to say, 'hey, lets give it another chance.'  They'll probably be surprised to see how much others have changed and are willing.

I agree with this outlook. I came here to make a difference in the realm of modern literary art, but instead of invigorating, revolutionary interactions that could actually grow the concept of poetry, I found mostly a monopoly of crybabies and a galvanized group of literary hijackers.

We're all real people with different motives, but this is a poetry site. It's like a neighborhood or stomping ground meant for testing and growing literary art. This site could make a hell of a lot of money if it were able to be maintained as a stable environment for talented artists to connect and feel some sort of value.

If this were my site, the cliques which dominate by way of discrimination, and discouragement of anything new would be quickly replaced by adclicks for art products.

As the artist who has been blocked or ban-threatened several times for controversial content by the prevailing, ignorant mucky-mucks, I can attest to a desire for burning this whole shithouse down.

I have watched several talented artist abandon DUP over the last decade, and that saddens me deeply, because really this SHOULD be the intellectual safehaven for future rockstars.

-Ray Ortiz

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

☝️ Hey there Ray.

I couldn’t help but think about the line between the forums and the poetry when I was reading your comment. Actually made me want to type a proper reply so that’s something I haven’t done for a while.

To be honest, purely because of the energy I’m pouring into my own life at the moment, I’ve stepped away heavily from the forums. Purely because of the old saying “opinions are like arseholes… everyone has one”. And maybe it’s just my age or other personal factors, but… I just can’t be fkn bothered to keep rehashing the same argument with people who have the listening capacity of a paper bag.

So to quote somebody else, I just don’t anymore.

I suppose one of the advantages of groups is that in those areas you would always find people passionate in those areas of interest, and they would be uncluttered by distraction because they could be controlled better. And I’m saying that as somebody who looks after 2 groups currently.

This part where you say “the cliques which dominate by way of discrimination, and discouragement of anything new” … I mean, you’ve been here a fairly long time yourself. I guess there is a certain melancholy for old school DU that’s kind of unavoidable.

I’m very much of the opinion that there are absolutely elements of old DU that I miss - ie/ people were honest in their feedback, there wasn’t as much ass kissing, there was more of a community feel etc. Melancholy over that just won’t change for me I guess, but then I’ve been here since 2011. However I would absolutely welcome the new if it would help the place grow. There’s been some phenomenal new writers and voices and world views that have joined over the last couple of years that are being missed because people are wrapped up in forum inbox drama. And that I guess, is what’s really sad.

So perhaps it’s not so much about the ins and outs of poetry, or forums, or how the groups work as much as where individuals choose to put their focus.

And that takes time to work out as well I guess.

Anyway, you made some great points that got me thinking. Thanks for sharing them.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2288

Northern_Soul said:1. They never took off as expected.

i feel that Point 3 falls short when a poster doesn't get notified of an answer and or the person posting gets a notification.  It's why many groups on Facebook thrive.

& i admit, i would NOT enter a group where the owner either BLOCKED me or has bad blood with me.  i mean, what's the point?  i am a poet who has been here for a long time but due to my pariah status (my feel) i don't promote this site as i used to in the past.  i read and commune with lots of Poets on Facebook and used to refer them here but not so much anymore.  i guess, until the veteran poets see me as a valued member, that will not change.  i always came with the energy and promotions but the old guard came with the old.  

Just laying out my spill and Kind of agreeing with Missy.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Tallen, I’m just gonna say this publicly so it’s on record somewhere. I don't want to be your best mate, and I don’t think we ever will be, but I have no issue with you. We stay in our own space and that’s good enough for me.

I’m honestly really tired. You wouldn’t believe how tired. I just want a quiet life. Just saying that out loud.

arortiz73
MTP
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 24th Sep 2013
Forum Posts: 298

Thanks for being real and congenial about this. I feel like I'm ready to help elevate poetry/music (Lit. Arts in general) to another level, all the while feeling sad for others who try to grow but get boxed in or out.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

arortiz73 said:Thanks for being real and congenial about this. I feel like I'm ready to help elevate poetry/music (Lit. Arts in general) to another level, all the while feeling sad for others who try to grow but get boxed in or out.

You’re welcome.

Just to keep the constructive conversation flowing, you’ve obviously been here only 2 years less than me. What would you change? How do you feel about the groups / forum balance? I’m interested to hear other views.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

think the idea for groups was borne from the chaos which forums evolved. I think the idea was/is sound enough. In terms of change I'd probably put the word plays back into the forums. because the craic in the ice

I think a lot of the malfunction (if it could be called that ) and I only speak for Rhyme and Reason is

a lack of direction

and also for all it's membership, and it must be hitting a trillion, not many people want to chat

I've seen groups thrive when they're watered and there is some merit in having a tucked away alcove among people with the same interests

Go to page:
Go to: