Page:

Deprioritization of forum threads

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

And yet another suggestion for the Webmiss is that from now on when any moderator deprioritizes a thread, that moderator should have to volunteer a public explanation as to why, so that the public can be made aware that certain threads here at DUP are being censored and by whom.

My suggestion thread about plagiarism earlier this morning has already been censored from the latest topics list at the bottom of the page.

Obviously, as in it should come as no surprise, people lose interest in participating in the forum when their threads are needlessly silenced.

There are enough crickets chirping in this forum for Chrysler's sake.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

We don't  need to publicly explain our every move.  Regardless of some opinions around here, we do, do our best to make fair decisions and take it up within the mod communications, if something or some action, needs further explaining or addressing on the part of the mods ourselves.  

There are plenty of things on the mod honey-do list, sometimes to the point of not affording us our own time to interact here as members, post poems, etc.   Adding in yet another duty in the form of having to type up explanations of our every move, for public consumption, only serves to act as a scorecard where those who like to keep score, can say "See!  See, I told you this one did this or that!"

Sorry, not going to happen.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

I concur

also, all suggestions suggested on the suggestion thread make their way to the webmiss. it matters not if the thread is prioritized or not. simples

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

MadameLavender said:We don't  need to publicly explain our every move.  Regardless of some opinions around here, we do, do our best to make fair decisions and take it up within the mod communications, if something or some action, needs further explaining or addressing on the part of the mods ourselves.  

There are plenty of things on the mod honey-do list, sometimes to the point of not affording us our own time to interact here as members, post poems, etc.   Adding in yet another duty in the form of having to type up explanations of our every move, for public consumption, only serves to act as a scorecard where those who like to keep score, can say "See!  See, I told you this one did this or that!"

Sorry, not going to happen.

lepperochan said:I concur

also, all suggestions suggested on the suggestion thread make their way to the webmiss. it matters not if the thread is prioritized or not. simples

If a mod can take 5 seconds out of his or her day to deprioritize a thread, surely another 30 seconds typing an explanation as for why won't impact that mod's schedule all that much.  

All I care is that the Webmiss reads the aforementioned suggestion and seriously considers it, given certain threads - including comp threads - have been and obviously continue to be needlessly deprioritized as if out of some personal bias or personal gain.

But, thank you both anyway for taking time out of your busy schedules to toss in your 2 cents.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

Not sure exactly what you mean by deprioritisation. Threads can be hidden from the "latest forum discussions" at the bottom of the page, I'm not sure how many people even look at that. It simply tries to minimise the chance of new people getting involved, if a thread is getting out of hand. It doesn't mean the thread is removed from anywhere else and people involved in the thread will still get notifications etc. Perhaps you mean when threads are sent to the Boiler Room?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

admin said:[color=Blue]Not sure exactly what you mean by deprioritisation. Threads can be hidden from the "latest forum discussions" at the bottom of the page, I'm not sure how many people even look at that.

That's what I mean.

And yes, plenty of people do look at that.

When a thread appears in the list, people are reminded it exists, that it is actively receiving replies, and potential participants become aware of it as well. When a thread has run its course and is no longer popular, then it is naturally abandoned as participants have moved on.

Case in point - When the "game threads" become inactive for days, bored posters actually bump them by simply quoting the last post without adding any new text to them as a means of getting the attention of other bored members to continue playing.

That's how desperately the list is relied upon here.

admin said:[color=Blue]It simply tries to minimise the chance of new people getting involved, if a thread is getting out of hand.

It's also been done to kill a handful of threads by limiting "advertising" of their existence.

It was even done to a competition thread with an LGBTQ theme over the summer because there were other LGBTQ threads and comps with weak participation deemed more important during Pride Month. When I pointed out to the comp starter ( Cloventongue89 ) that his thread was deprioritized, he wasn't even aware that it was possible comps could be "muted" in such a manner. He insisted the mods reprioritize it. They complied because there was no valid reason to "mute" it.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/11946/

I was banned for 7 days in retaliation for suggesting in a private message to him that the deprioritization was done to appease two other members who initially were angrily interrupting his comp, while Jack Heslop was having an intellectual discussion with Cloven.

So, yeah. This "muting" of threads and comps would be less likely to happen if there was a simple system of checks and balances. What's simpler than a mod taking 30 seconds or less to explain why he or she is "muting" a thread or comp and being held accountable for their actions?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Or, you can take the list off the bottom of the page, if you feel that it isn't a popular resource.

Do that and there will be no point in "deprioritizing" threads for any reason.

Walla.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

far as I can see this thread has been resolved. that's to say you made a suggestion, it was rejected. I'm sure you'll get over it

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

Two final words here, Johnny, since you want our every move publicly explained :

#1.  Your post in the other thread about how to block members, was removed because there was no need to mention names in it and dredge up past issues with other members, some who cannot respond because they are no longer alive.  It would have been sufficient to just instruct how to block without using the opportunity to take a jab at an old wound.   Happy now, that I made public, why an action was taken?

#2.  Here's your public explanation why this thread will be locked after I finish my post:  enough whining already.  If you are dissatisfied with actions taken to keep DUP a workable place for everyone, then go create forums on your own website, then you can control things, all you want.

Page:
Go to: