Page:

Hiding poems from public consumption

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

I was just copying all of my poems the other day with an archiver when I stumbled across the fact that some members hide their poems from non-members.

I'm assumIng one of the reasons is to cut down on plagiarism ..? Another is perhaps to keep their poems hidden from spouses, gfs / bfs, friends, family, & employers ..? I dunno. Don't care either.

But non-members can still access the same poems posted in the forum -  primarily the Competition subforum.

Seems counter-productive, as in, why then bother with the hiding?

Thus my suggestion is, for those members who really do want more comprehensive privacy from public consumption, to have their forum posted "linked" submissions be rendered as Anonymous. Only members could read them. Perhaps instead of seeing said poems, there is a text in their place that says: "You must be a registered member of DUP in order to read this poem."

All bases covered; it would just be copy-pasting poems at your own risk.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Someone said to me privately, a reason for hiding poems from non-members was to prevent publishers from discovering them.

Erm ... no. If that were the case, the poet would hide a poem from everyone, including Google where a prospective publisher could find it in a search.

Alone-In-the-Aisle
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 27th Nov 2021
Forum Posts: 4

I wonder how often plagiarism takes place on these kind of sites? Maybe a ccl is what I'm needing

lotuslover
Gypsy_Rose
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 3rd Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 100

My theory with the hiding of a poem or short story is that the author is insecure with their style of writing maybe. Or it could be that the poem or piece isn't finished or isn't proof read and the author is having writer's block or something similar. A poem may be hidden due to the author saving the content for a special occasion. For example....Valentine's day is coming up. But I too often wonder if these sites are verifies to keep validity of the author.

robert43041
Viking
Tyrant of Words
Canada 43awards
Joined 30th July 2020
Forum Posts: 918

Or maybe there is a limit to what is soul will allow the poet - writer  to reveal.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I think that ,
Please correct me,
Nobody can read a hidden poem
Except yourself and the mods.

So hiding a poem
Is  to put it back in its box until it can be worked on and tweeked until ready to be released
Into the wild

LaBrujaOscura_75
Camilla Beatriz Flores
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 4th June 2022
Forum Posts: 47

Some people got their reasons for hiding their poems. Me, I'll be posting mine soon. Not really the hiding type.

mils_haven
Strange Creature
Joined 2nd July 2022
Forum Posts: 1

Mm maybe..

Lucile
Roberta B Watson
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 4th Nov 2023
Forum Posts: 10

It would be nice to allow you to read your poems upon request