Page:

Poetry Workshops or courses

Voicesinside-9
Amy
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 31st Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 8

Is there any decent courses or workshops for poetry writing?

LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 22nd July 2017
Forum Posts: 96

I haven't yet found any online courses/workshops ... but for self study and guidance I recommend "Everyday a Poem" by Jacqueline Suskin ... I have read scores of poetry writing texts both within and outside of academic programs and hers is one of the very best ... she is also an amazing poet ... Good Luck and welcome to DUP ...

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5734

Hey

Maybe check out writersHQ.co.uk— I use them a lot. They offer free online workshops on journaling, as well as helpful advice and tips for poetry and prose writers. They also offer free writers retreats two times a week online which I’ve always found great for focus, and as a moment I can set aside during the week as a bit of ‘me’ time.

Just something that came to mind as helpful. And also U.K. based 😊

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1739

Voicesinside-9 said:Is there any decent courses or workshops for poetry writing?

Half the learning aspect of improving one's poetry is reading others' poetry -- I recommend the anthologies published by Bloodaxe Books, especially the 'trilogy' ... Staying Alive, Being Alive & Being Human - (each with about 500 poems in them)

poet Anonymous

I just completed one on coursera.org that I found helpful. It’s six weeks and there is some workshopping as well as short lectures, exercises, and forum posting.

JohnyCage
Strange Creature
Joined 10th Nov 2021
Forum Posts: 1

I'm not sure if there are 100% valid courses. Most often it is a pumping out of money. But I think Google will always help. I used the service https://uk.edubirdie.com/speech-writing-service to write an oration to colleagues from the university. You can check, perhaps you will find useful information for yourself.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Josh said:

Half the learning aspect of improving one's poetry is reading others' poetry -- I recommend the anthologies published by Bloodaxe Books, especially the 'trilogy' ... Staying Alive, Being Alive & Being Human - (each with about 500 poems in them)

Yeppers to this.

I'd say another big chunk is seriously listening to opinions of your writing. IF you've put your ego aside, the "valid" opinions will resonate.

Understanding the language you work with is the rest of the battle. That means Grammar, Spelling, & Punctuation. Here is a thread regarding Punctuation:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/workshop/read/11232/

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1739

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Hi LoveHound,
Many thanks for that. I didn't know. I've been re-reading "The Trilogy" for years - now I have have fourth one to enjoy and be educated by.
Best regards,
Josh.

poet Anonymous

^ Bloodaxe Books web site is well worth a glance.

Just read poems until your thumbs turn yellow or eyes strain. There are also dozens of printed literary magazines to behold. And enjoy writing.

One of my closest friends is a Poetry Professor and she bleeds stanzas. She is the only person I listen to with regards to any critiques or suggestions. Poetry is not a science.  

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Page:
Go to: