Go to page:

Guideline Modification Suggestion and Poll

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

I had hopes for the 'How to Behave thread'  to garner more attention and user input. - Standards as suggested through member engagement, rather than a dictation of rules. Though perhaps simply stating it as it is would have been better; as quite a few bits did trickle back to the theme of why some do not follow the rules. Unfortunately time and other engagements buried it, though at least it serves as a marker and band aid than just a shoddy fix.

It may be important, although playing quite the devil's advocate, to have room for laxity. There have been over the years, and are, quite a few threads that can go completely off topic and talk about anything under the sun. Quite easy-going and Bohemian, and critically an important part of DU.
However a standard set of rules are unlikely to affect such threads: they are more than often threads that have very few if any problems and places where members relax and behave.

It is always interesting to see a flurry of topics around the latest hot topic, though as mentioned by MadameLavender, 3 or 4 threads on the same topic are not always needed.

My 2 pennies at the moment; trying to not drown anyone with words and aim to sit back and listen/read.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14655

Viddax said:I had hopes for the 'How to Behave thread'  to garner more attention and user input. - Standards as suggested through member engagement, rather than a dictation of rules. Though perhaps simply stating it as it is would have been better; as quite a few bits did trickle back to the theme of why some do not follow the rules. Unfortunately time and other engagements buried it, though at least it serves as a marker and band aid than just a shoddy fix.

It may be important, although playing quite the devil's advocate, to have room for laxity. There have been over the years, and are, quite a few threads that can go completely off topic and talk about anything under the sun. Quite easy-going and Bohemian, and critically an important part of DU.
However a standard set of rules are unlikely to affect such threads: they are more than often threads that have very few if any problems and places where members relax and behave.

It is always interesting to see a flurry of topics around the latest hot topic, though as mentioned by MadameLavender, 3 or 4 threads on the same topic are not always needed.

My 2 pennies at the moment; trying to not drown anyone with words and aim to sit back and listen/read.

1. I was under the impression you wanted suggestions on behaviour for potential guidelines, thus answered as such. . .with potential guidelines.

2. There is a difference in laxity and trolling/ personal attacks. You are aware of the issues with certain posters.

3. A standard set of rules will never affect assholes; however, at least the excuse  "it isn't in the guidelines" won't work anymore. Also a moderator's job would be pretty much clear-cut, being it's in the guidelines and all.

Thank you for your input.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

i would like an option to block people across the board not only for harassment but because they bore me to death

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Happy to know that if LESS than 1/4th of the posts in the speakeasy would warrant a new forum, then surely 50% of a poll result would warrant guideline modifications.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5817

anna_grin said:i would like an option to block people across the board not only for harassment but because they bore me to death

Mmhmmm. 👍🏻

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Guidelines, rules, laws = monitoring and enforcement...

The enforcement of "Don't Be A DU Asshole Guidelines" and suggested website forum upgrades sound like a lot of hassle for the dozen or so members who actively blow their brains out on these white DU forum walls.

Perhaps as an alternative members could pretend to click on the invisible "Hide" or "Ignore" thread button and simply choose not to read the thread or post they know is going to piss them right off.

If we can't be tolerant, respect other member's opinions and accept that in the real world people aren't always going to see things from our perspective... then maybe we need to self impose a personal forum timeout.  I can highly recommend ignorance and a life outside DU.

Besides... freedom of speech, hate speech, narcissistic soapboxes and our insignificant opinions are so overrated.

On the flip side, the chaos and raw emotion unleashed in the forums has been valuable to me over the years... its been an unexpected source of inspiration and made me reflect and realise that we can all be assholes... big, small, good and bad.

Don't waste time dissecting my worthless opinion... I've clicked the "Could Not Give A Flying Fuck About This Thread" button before I hit submit.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

case28 said:Guidelines, rules, laws = monitoring and enforcement...

The enforcement of "Don't Be A DU Asshole Guidelines" and suggested website forum upgrades sound like a lot of hassle for the dozen or so members who actively blow their brains out on these white DU forum walls.

Perhaps as an alternative members could pretend to click on the invisible "Hide" or "Ignore" thread button and simply choose not to read the thread or post they know is going to piss them right off.

If we can't be tolerant, respect other member's opinions and accept that in the real world people aren't always going to see things from our perspective... then maybe we need to self impose a personal forum timeout.  I can highly recommend ignorance and a life outside DU.

Besides... freedom of speech, hate speech, narcissistic soapboxes and our insignificant opinions are so overrated.

On the flip side, the chaos and raw emotion unleashed in the forums has been valuable to me over the years... its been an unexpected source of inspiration and made me reflect and realise that we can all be assholes... big, small, good and bad.

Don't waste time dissecting my worthless opinion... I've clicked the "Could Not Give A Flying Fuck About This Thread" button before I hit submit.

Well, there's always the argument to be made that there would be more than a dozen or so members posting in these forums if they weren't constantly tripping over tripe in virtually every thread.

runaway-mindtrain said:Don't believe these leftist and their deconstructionist jive. They wish to rewrite history, especially their own, and tear down all tradition and past standards. This is currently pushed by white elitist democrats, whom have absolutely no room to talk about anything. If we are now to remove everything that is connected, as they see it, to bigotry... Then let's begin with the piece of shit Jim Crow Democrat slave party. This Klan party did all the fuckery from founding the slavery party, instigating all post civil war racist laws to just recently being caught doctoring evidence in their sham impeachment.
Cancel the democrat party, founder of institutionalized racism in America. If Seuss must go then they absolutely must be banned....

A few guideline tweaks and volunteer moderators actually moderating voluntarily ( "Hey, you - don't spam the same Hate Shit everywhere." ) pretty much dispenses with the need to vigorously, drastically overhaul anything.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

JohnnyBlaze said:

A few guideline tweaks and volunteer moderators actually moderating voluntarily

All the mods here, ARE volunteers-- if we got paid for dealing with all the crap on DU , 80% of which is mostly petty grievances, then I would've asked for a raise, long ago.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

MadameLavender said:

All the mods here, ARE volunteers-- if we got paid for dealing with all the crap on DU , 80% of which is mostly petty grievances, then I would've asked for a raise, long ago.

Trust me, I've been on the receiving end of a lot of those petty grievances. I know what you've had to voluntarily put up with.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

case28 said:Guidelines, rules, laws = monitoring and enforcement...

Thank you, case, for echoing what I basically said in this thread ( which has now been reopened, btw ):

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/suggestions/read/11821/

Go to page:
Go to: