Go to page:

Can we have a brand spanking new forum called Politics?

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

i think i said way back when- politics gets heated. this is nothing new.

i would be happy to argue my case in a politics forum however with the propensity for almost everything to be politicised there could still be some confusion and crossover between people wanting to “talk politics” and people (like me) who are arguing against behaviour they disagree with.

if anyone thinks that comes out of an insecurity or need to control my environment that’s really their lookout and i don’t care

-thread hide option is good
-also maybe block a member across forums to avoid getting drawn into argument
-I have mixed feelings about self moderation of threads, i think at this point nothing should be assumed as a common courtesy and moderators should operate under the assumption that any and everyone will fuck with the rules as far as they can and draft accordingly.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

anna_grin said:i think i said way back when- politics gets heated. this is nothing new.

i would be happy to argue my case in a politics forum however with the propensity for almost everything to be politicised there could still be some confusion and crossover between people wanting to “talk politics” and people (like me) who are arguing against behaviour they disagree with.

if anyone thinks that comes out of an insecurity or need to control my environment that’s really their lookout and i don’t care

-thread hide option is good
-I have mixed feelings about self moderation of threads, i think at this point nothing should be assumed as a common courtesy and moderators should operate under the assumption that any and everyone will fuck with the rules as far as they can and draft accordingly.

Not that my post was in any way directed toward you, but bravo. I agree; what other people think of us is none of our business. Unfortunately, a great majority don't understand that concept, thus they take things personally and all hell breaks loose. Hell, you've seen first hand me being called a vicious narcissist and political fanatic ( among a plethora of other labels ).

Another's opinion should never be a deciding factor that interferes with where the heart leads. It certainly isn't going to for me. And, hopefully it won't for you.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

anna_grin said:

I like the idea of this one too. Not only to avoid getting drawn into an argument, but for multiple reasons. There are some relentless beings here who just need to be blocked completely and utterly.  

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5601

anna_grin said:however with the propensity for almost everything to be politicised there could still be some confusion and crossover between people wanting to “talk politics” and people (like me) who are arguing against behaviour they disagree with.

I think it’s very valiant that you are standing up against prehistoric attitudes that you disagree with, and that cannot be faulted. It’s commendable, even. 🙂

I think it’s more the fact that the person you’re arguing with (in that particular case) is pretty much a brick wall. And that’s when the morale across the site thing comes in, sadly.

anna_grin said:-thread hide option is good
-I have mixed feelings about self moderation of threads

I’ve long thought the total block thing would be a fantastic idea and would solve so many issues. Like you, I also have mixed feelings about self moderation of threads. But perhaps it’s just a minority that would abuse that. I know with groups there’s never been an issue with self moderation though (as far as I know) so perhaps that’s a positive to take from this in terms of beta test.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Magdalena said:

I like the idea of this one too. Not only to avoid getting drawn into an argument, but for multiple reasons. There are some relentless beings here who just need to be blocked completely and utterly.  

This will be like the 4th time I've posted this suggestion, but as long as we're suggesting forum software enhancements, might as well go for 5.

JohnnyBlaze said:
Thankfully we do have the ability to block abusive and annoying people on our poems without having to rely on a 3rd party ( moderators + admin with their internal politics ) to intervene.

If only the DUP site software could render personally blocked users completely hidden from view to the blocker on everything - poems, forum, and "public non-clique" groups. Another competing writing site with software that is 20 something years old already does this.

Allowing every obnoxious post left intact, all members seeing such could voluntary self censor. The responsibility for being ignored would then fall squarely on the shoulders of the obnoxious.

It gives everyone the ability to self censor without having to file a single report about anything. Then no one can complain their Free Speech rights are being trampled on.

Censoring the chronic abusers completely from the site for not using the site as intended would then solely be up to the moderators without any input from the members - in the interest of keeping it clean of obvious abuse, SPAM, etc, to continue attracting non members and fresh subscription dollars.

Then if the moderators aren't being dilligent at keeping the site attractive, it is up the site owner to replace them without any 2 cents necessary from the current membership and its politics ( unless a situation involving an abusive moderator arises ... again ).

An abusive member really isn't deserving of participating in the comps launched by someone they have been abusing. People blocked purely based on personal dislike is then the legitimate concern. Comps put to a vote are a non issue. I imagine the software can be programmed to work out the problem, but that bridge has yet to be crossed.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

a i wasn’t really taking it personally, i took it as more of a general statement. but it has to be admitted that we all desire to control our environment to some extent. we want to be able to choose the people we interact with and the people we don’t. we want to be able to screen out intrusions that disturb our peace.

if we want to argue we want to do it on our own terms.

I think all of these suggestions have potential to give us back some of that control.

you’re all gorgeous people x

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:a i wasn’t really taking it personally, i took it as more of a general statement. but it has to be admitted that we all desire to control our environment to some extent. we want to be able to choose the people we interact with and the people we don’t. we want to be able to screen out intrusions that disturb our peace.

if we want to argue we want to do it on our own terms.

I think all of these suggestions have potential to give us back some of that control.

you’re all gorgeous people x

That's absolutely true; personal boundaries are essential for all-around wellness ( spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and psychologically ). I wasn't referring to personal boundaries, but deliberate interference with another's personal boundaries of enjoyment because of the "I don't want to see that" or "I want attention too" mentality.

If individuals spent as much time focusing on their own wellness and interests vs what others are doing ( so long as they harm no one ) this world would be a beautiful place. But, reality. . .carry on.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5601

That’s exactly what everyone is doing here. Discussing. Suggesting. So that we can all shape our own choices and lead happier lives. All of us. Every single one.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

i agree a that you and (mrs. stormtrooper) couldn’t be said to be on a level in terms of conduct. and you wouldn’t want to be lumped into the same forum with that energy. i don’t know what the one big solution is myself 🤷🏻‍♀️

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

Northern_Soul said:

I like this idea. You can have that one for free. 😆

Pinning your own threads on your own forum catchup or having the option to shape what you see personally would only add to the user experience. I had this conversation with a friend of mine the other week, in which she said she wanted to leave social media because of all the negative stuff that people say on her feed. And I was like, Sweet... don’t leave. We have the power to shape our news feeds and hide such negativity. There are hide buttons. There are block buttons. There are options.

That option here I think would greatly help. 👍🏻

Agree... That would be a pretty awesome feature 😊

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:i agree a that you and (mrs. stormtrooper) couldn’t be said to be on a level in terms of conduct. and you wouldn’t want to be lumped into the same forum with that energy. i don’t know what the one big solution is myself 🤷🏻‍♀️

I do know; but, unfortunately, it's up to each individual to work on themselves and become the change they want to see—not change what they see, but how they see it. Another's freewill is not ours to control ( nor should it ever be ( as long as it harms no other ) ), especially when it isn't thrust upon us or violates our own personal boundaries.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5181

Magdalena said:A, hide thread, tab for members is the easier solution. We used to have it but it was replaced with the, subscribe option instead.

Having a separate forum wouldn't take them off the front page, which is the first port o'call when browsing the forums.
I have little to no time for politics/government. Repetitive debating of the "same ole same ole" on numerous threads is mind numbing. I stopped opening them.

If I could hide everyone of them so I didn't have to see them there every time someone comments, then I would.

Welcome Magdalena

I thank you for your contribution. And thank you for coming ahead and voicing your views. We really need as diverse views as possible and as many members as possible to explore together. At the end of the day ALL DU members are equal and ALL voices carry the same weight.

I would personally love to have that hide thread option.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

_feral said:

i think a new forum/group for all political topics wouldn't do any harm, it would free up space on the front page, all topics can be discussed within it given as long as it is being moderated, stop or at least control some of the spin off troll forums that's been going on and if anymore threads are made as you said cf it can be moved into that one forum to be discussed, i can understand arguing on the square but sometimes it doesn't work and goes too far regardless who's watching, so i feel it would give a more neutral feel to new members who may start adventuring or testing the water by watching the forums too.

echoing magdalena above me i am also a person who doesn't have time nor energy to engage in political debates, i would certainly hide or move the political forums away from plain site if i could.

anyhoo those are my thoughts

have a pleasant day folks

Welcome Ethan

I thank you for you coming ahead and contributing. Repeating again here, we need as many diverse views and voices as possible as every member is equal and their views/voices carry equal weight.

you too have a pleasant day.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Umm said:

Agree... That would be a pretty awesome feature 😊

Welcome Umm

and I thank you for your voice and views on this subject.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

lepperochan said:Jesus wept...

I miss the hide thread. it was handy. that said, you don’t automatically read a thread as soon as your eyes meet the title of it. you have to click on it to read it , then you have to read it

for the most part political threads are easily spotted by their titles. if you don’t do politics. don’t click on the threads

this is not rocket science

I agree there was a peak of them some weeks back. and also it would be handy to hide the ones which are of no interest

personally I’d be looking to try steer clear of the cancel culture. that said it might be an idea to let members select their top 5 threads which always sit on top of their thread things at the bottom. (interchangeable) if that’s at all possible

Thank You dear Mod for the views.
I would personally love the option of having hide thread back.

at the end of the day...whilst we're here discussing the need or lack there of of having a separate venue for politics with a dedicated forum with any and all amounts of threads in it on all things political, the need actually arose from the incessant amount of just one country's internal politics.
I say for heaven's sake America is not the world. Just one country. American politics though affects some more than others does not and should not be forced onto people from other 200 countries of the world.

We all have equal rights as members of this site. I believe as I see it the site's morale is affected by the endless discussions on the politics be it for the good or the bad sides of it. We are not just an American website. Please.

Go to page:
Go to: