Go to page:

Can we have a brand spanking new forum called Politics?

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5266

lepperochan said:way I see it suggestion has been suggested. this is the thread for it. kinda like that thing the natives used to tie women to for King Kong to come get. so in that context you/ we are all more or less lending our opinions here towards the webmiss in order for her to take them into consideration

in the context of that context I think the tone is both unfortunate and indicative

Threads are more or less free space. that’s to say, everyone on the site has the option to view, take part in, and create threads.

if there is an appetite to narrow the parameters of speakeasy then I think it’s worth taking a look at, might also be worth taking a look at a cap of sorts

Thank You dear Mod for your reply and response.
I take on board your points and see the light in them too.
I personally believe ...whether others agree or not with it as they too are free to hold their 'opinions/views/perspectives' things need addressing. Hope we can all work out -together.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

anna_grin said:i wouldn't be against it exactly, i just dont think it would work.  imagine the time the mods would have to put in to moving every politics thread that was "accidentally" created in the public forum or "by mistake" turned political.  it would be a new boiler room but for trash politics.

i just think there should be consequences for things like uhh i dont know implicit racism and hate speech but i guess thats just me eh

welcome anna

i welcome your points and input. i needed and still need as many 'diverse' views as possible on this exploration/suggestion.
At the end of the day we ALL are equal and have equal status on DU.  Just because some speak more than others does not mean they can treat this site as their stomping ground and their fiefdom.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

dear Ahavati and Johnny.

I welcome both your participation and input.
Johnny you made some very valid points.
Ahavati I appreciate your participation and in depth contribution and asking questions. At the end of the day if i answer all of them i'm ending up distracted and unnecessarily prolonging this thread.
I take onboard  the questions you raised. Here.. at the end of the day I need more broad participation and diverse voices of everyone who's willing to participate in this exploration. I hate to see this thread sidetracked. Hence I have chosen not to indulge in 'deep' discussion with you. I have taken on board your opposition and reasoning.
In short i take note of both yours and Johnny's veiw-points and the reasoning. I have stated my opinion.
And you have stated yours.
I once again thank both of you for your participation. I need more voices.
thanks and regards
cf

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5735

cold_fusion said:
At the end of the day we ALL are equal and have equal status on DU.  Just because some speak more than others does not mean they can treat this site as their stomping ground and their fiefdom.

Amen to that. Thank you.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

A, hide thread, tab for members is the easier solution. We used to have it but it was replaced with the, subscribe option instead.

Having a separate forum wouldn't take them off the front page, which is the first port o'call when browsing the forums.
I have little to no time for politics/government. Repetitive debating of the "same ole same ole" on numerous threads is mind numbing. I stopped opening them.

If I could hide everyone of them so I didn't have to see them there every time someone comments, then I would.

_feral
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 11awards
Joined 23rd Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 864

i think a new forum/group for all political topics wouldn't do any harm, it would free up space on the front page, all topics can be discussed within it given as long as it is being moderated, stop or at least control some of the spin off troll forums that's been going on and if anymore threads are made as you said cf it can be moved into that one forum to be discussed, i can understand arguing on the square but sometimes it doesn't work and goes too far regardless who's watching, so i feel it would give a more neutral feel to new members who may start adventuring or testing the water by watching the forums too.

echoing magdalena above me i am also a person who doesn't have time nor energy to engage in political debates, i would certainly hide or move the political forums away from plain site if i could.

anyhoo those are my thoughts

have a pleasant day folks

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Magdalena said:A, hide thread, tab for members is the easier solution. We used to have it but it was replaced with the, subscribe option instead.

Having a separate forum wouldn't take them off the front page, which is the first port o'call when browsing the forums.
I have little to no time for politics/government. Repetitive debating of the "same ole same ole" on numerous threads is mind numbing. I stopped opening them.

If I could hide everyone of them so I didn't have to see them there every time someone comments, then I would.

I forgot “hide thread” used to be an option. That would be a great thing to bring back in this situation. Good thinking, batwoman 😄

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

_feral said:
i can understand arguing on the square but sometimes it doesn't work and goes too far regardless who's watching, so i feel it would give a more neutral feel to new members who may start adventuring or testing the water by watching the forums too.

This is really valid too and reinforces the point I made about the perception to new members. Case in point, the “is the world safe for conversation anymore” thread (which is, in my humble opinion, utterly disgusting on all counts in terms of content)

... imagine a new person coming in to be faced with that. If that was my first impression of the site, I wouldn’t even take my shoes off, let alone get comfy.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Northern_Soul said:

This is really valid too and reinforces the point I made about the perception to new members. Case in point, the “is the world safe for conversation anymore” thread (which is, in my humble opinion, utterly disgusting on all counts in terms of content)

... imagine a new person coming in to be faced with that. If that was my first impression of the site, I wouldn’t even take my shoes off, let alone get comfy.

Well, that particular thread was a flamebait thread to begin with from the opening post, little different from the two threads by Runaway Mindtrain that were locked. It should have never gone beyond that.

That it is finally, yet only, deprioritized at page 50-something is a bit too late for anyone to complain about.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

Jesus wept...

I miss the hide thread. it was handy. that said, you don’t automatically read a thread as soon as your eyes meet the title of it. you have to click on it to read it , then you have to read it

for the most part political threads are easily spotted by their titles. if you don’t do politics. don’t click on the threads

this is not rocket science

I agree there was a peak of them some weeks back. and also it would be handy to hide the ones which are of no interest

personally I’d be looking to try steer clear of the cancel culture. that said it might be an idea to let members select their top 5 threads which always sit on top of their thread things at the bottom. (interchangeable) if that’s at all possible

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

lepperochan said:Jesus wept...

That he probably did. What’s on your mind, Lepp.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

Northern_Soul said:

That he probably did. What’s on your mind, Lepp.

soz, clicked post prematurely

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

lepperochan said:

soz, clicked post prematurely

... the less said about that the better, dear. 😆

lepperochan said:

I miss the hide thread. it was handy.

for the most part political threads are easily spotted by their titles. if you don’t do politics. don’t click on the threads

this is not rocket science

I agree there was a peak of them some weeks back.

Yeah, it did hit a peak somewhat.

Totally agree. But again, those of us who have been here a while know not to click. I certainly ignore certain threads. But this was about new people and perceptions... those with no forum smarts so to speak.  and also it would be handy to hide the ones which are of no interest

lepperochan said:that said it might be an idea to let members select their top 5 threads which always sit on top of their thread things at the bottom. (interchangeable) if that’s at all possible

I like this idea. You can have that one for free. 😆

Pinning your own threads on your own forum catchup or having the option to shape what you see personally would only add to the user experience. I had this conversation with a friend of mine the other week, in which she said she wanted to leave social media because of all the negative stuff that people say on her feed. And I was like, Sweet... don’t leave. We have the power to shape our news feeds and hide such negativity. There are hide buttons. There are block buttons. There are options.

That option here I think would greatly help. 👍🏻

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I miss it too. It makes those threads I don't want to see, disappear from the front page. Of course, you have to click on them first to hide them.
I'm all for individual/personal preference. That is the long name of the hide feature.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

Magdalena said:I miss it too. It makes those threads I don't want to see, disappear from the front page. Of course, you have to click on them first to hide them.
I'm all for individual/personal preference. That is the long name of the hide feature.

The issue isn't the threads; the issue is the person, as in each individual and their desire to control their environment vs manage their choices. If the option to NOT click a thread isn't utilized by them, then the option to HIDE a thread will be of very little benefit ( to them, specifically ) due to their psychological makeup.

While it will remove such threads from an individual's sight, those who are emotionally balanced enough to feel secure in the environment will simply continue to ignore the threads that do not interest them rather than utilize the ignore button. The other individuals ( the ones who don't currently utilize the choice to ignore ), however, will continue to monitor such threads due to the desire to control their environment in order to feel secure. And furthermore, at any given opportunity, will create unrest in order to facilitate such change which will accommodate their security.

That's a psychological fact. Until individuals accept responsibility for their own choices, they will continue their attempts to control the choices of those around them. This includes labeling certain interests of others fanatical in hopes to create enough insecurity within an individual that they will cease their interests altogether ( aka good old fashioned bullying ).

Go to page:
Go to: