Go to page:

Can we have a brand spanking new forum called Politics?

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5266

Dear Webmistress and the powers to be

Can we please have a new room...a full blown forum where all sorts of political discourse can take place and where one can create any number of threads so as to have a distinct place to let steam off and not have it cook the other forums with it's radiant heat? please.

I say why not have a proper full on Forum where the political, anything related to politics can live and breathe freely and have only one thread at any time appear on the front page of DU?

Just like everything else, politics has its place. At the end of the day the DUP does not stand for DeepUnderground Politics. Let's have a well defined corner for this essential necessary space.

I hate starting new threads. But just needed to explore the option the why's and why nots of it with the powers to be on DU.

regards
cf

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Also any political thread created anywhere else (intentionally or not)can be moved to that forum.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

this should be on the suggestion thread, pal. hoppit:),

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5736

... I did humbly suggest giving politics a group a few weeks back... a whole space dedicated to it. Somewhere it could be self-moderated and discussed at length and leisure. Imma just leave this here as a suggestion been as this open thread has been raised.

(Just a broad humble suggestion as a casual observer encompassing the topic as a whole not aimed at anything or anybody before anybody goes nuts.)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

lepperochan said:this should be on the suggestion thread, pal. hoppit:),

You have the power to move it.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

lepperochan said:this should be on the suggestion thread, pal. hoppit:),
Ain't it ?🧐
Well... alrighty dear guardian of the Underworld underground move it as you deem fit.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Northern_Soul said:
... I did humbly suggest giving politics a group a few weeks back... a whole space dedicated to it. Somewhere it could be self-moderated and discussed at length and leisure. Imma just leave this here as a suggestion been as this open thread has been raised.

(Just a broad humble suggestion as a casual observer encompassing the topic as a whole not aimed at anything or anybody before anybody goes nuts.)

glad to know more than just a cold one here feels the need for it.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Northern_Soul said:

I believe there exists already such a group broadly, I mean the Rhyme and Reason group but that's unfortunately is at a backwaters. Rarely used. And it ain't a Forum. I reckon what we really need is a forum like the five others we have here.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

... I reckon we just give people a sword each and a shield. Then everyone can duel to the death about what they believe in and that victorious person gets to start the one true politics forum. 😂

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Northern_Soul said:... I reckon we just give people a sword each and a shield. Then everyone can duel to the death about what they believe in and that victorious person gets to start the one true politics forum. 😂
😁

well..wounds and gashes...scars ..you reckon they haven't already been inflicted on anyone yet? From the electronic avatar of the pen that is the keyboard?the thing that is keeping from getting to the elusive victory for anyone is the never ending supply of the ardent believers of ideologies. But I like the idea though

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

cold_fusion said:
😁

well..wounds and gashes...scars ..you reckon they haven't already been inflicted on anyone yet? From the electronic avatar of the pen that is the keyboard?the thing that is keeping from getting to the elusive victory for anyone is the never ending supply of the ardent believers of ideologies. But I like the idea though

https://youtu.be/KY5Ug1OW5O4

... totally got this inter-country battle running through my head now.  

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Northern_Soul said:

https://youtu.be/KY5Ug1OW5O4

... totally got this inter-country battle running through my head now.  

that was quite hilarious.🤣🤣 perhaps nailed it.

Nothing ever happens in 🇨🇦😁 ...oh the poor Northern neighbours.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

cold_fusion said:
I believe there exists already such a group broadly, I mean the Rhyme and Reason group but that's unfortunately is at a backwaters. Rarely used. And it ain't a Forum. I reckon what we really need is a forum like the five others we have here.

You are correct! That group was formed when the debate forum was shut down. I expressed then that members would be leery to participate in a moderated group that they could be kicked out of permanently. Also, most do not like to debate in someone's house per se; they like the town square where everyone is on equal ground.

Note: I did give it a go but the energy was dead. Zero inspiration ( for me personally ).

Around the same time ( perhaps ) A Word Play group was created ( which Grace moderates ) for threads such as Six Word Challenge, Three Word Inspiration, Short and Sweet, and so forth. . .all of which once permeated the Speakeasy forum. The only thread Webmiss left in the speakeasy at that time was 'Ask the person below you a question' after moving all others to the group.

Now the speakeasy is full of such threads again. I do not personally care, nor am I complaining. There can be a thousand of them. I have no desire to control what others enjoy so I can have more space ( not implying you are attempting to control anyone, CF ), or so I don't have to look at certain titles. Particularly when the Speakeasy is for topics specifically outside of poetry ( or so it says ). So, in essence, the existence of such a forum would imply that Deep Underground Poetry can indeed be political, satirical, magical, philosophical, mystical, and so forth.

The only issue I see in political threads is what I consider hate speech in references to Nazi's ( which I find offensive, being my Jewish ancestors were all but wiped out in the Holocaust in Latvia ), dimentia ( which I lost a grandmother to ), and phobias regarding transexuals, gays, and lesbians ( of which I have dear friends ). This is my thread, President Biden's First 100 Days, I am referencing ( I do not visit nor read the others ). And there is only one person who dumps that type of speech in it. And apparently, he's allowed because for the most part, his own hate-filled threads are shut down.

Then there's the other one who has roughly 13 active political threads because when one gets deprioritized or ignored, another is started with a different title, and yet contains virtually the same regurgitated screen shots from shady sources that have been repeatedly debunked. When you need a misinformation thread in a forum ( not only that, but one that's regularly active due to the two aforementioned ), that should tell you something.

Ah, but, we are in the age of faux news.

I am not attempting to call or single anyone out; however, I am willing to call a spade a spade for the sake of discussion.  As someone who regularly participates in politics, I am attempting to share from the other side, expounding on your comment, CF.

My overall suggestion is learn to ignore what you don't want to see and focus on what you do want to see. It's not like the threads are open books in any forum; you have to choose to open and read them.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Ahavati said:

You are correct! That group was formed when the debate forum was shut down. I expressed then that members would be leery to participate in a moderated group that they could be kicked out of permanently. Also, most do not like to debate in someone's house per se; they like the town square where everyone is on equal ground.

Note: I did give it a go but the energy was dead. Zero inspiration ( for me personally ).

Around the same time ( perhaps ) A Word Play group was created ( which Grace moderates ) for threads such as Six Word Challenge, Three Word Inspiration, Short and Sweet, and so forth. . .all of which once permeated the Speakeasy forum. The only thread Webmiss left in the speakeasy at that time was 'Ask the person below you a question' after moving all others to the group.

Now the speakeasy is full of such threads again. I do not personally care, nor am I complaining. There can be a thousand of them. I have no desire to control what others enjoy so I can have more space ( not implying you are attempting to control anyone, CF ), or so I don't have to look at certain titles. Particularly when the Speakeasy is for topics specifically outside of poetry ( or so it says ). So, in essence, the existence of such a forum would imply that Deep Underground Poetry can indeed be political, satirical, magical, philosophical, mystical, and so forth.

The only issue I see in political threads is what I consider hate speech in references to Nazi's ( which I find offensive, being my Jewish ancestors were all but wiped out in the Holocaust in Latvia ), dimentia ( which I lost a grandmother to ), and phobias regarding transexuals, gays, and lesbians ( of which I have dear friends ). This is my thread, President Biden's First 100 Days, I am referencing ( I do not visit nor read the others ). And there is only one person who dumps that type of speech in it. And apparently, he's allowed because for the most part, his own hate-filled threads are shut down.

Then there's the other one who has roughly 13 active political threads because when one gets deprioritized or ignored, another is started with a different title, and yet contains virtually the same regurgitated screen shots from shady sources that have been repeatedly debunked. When you need a misinformation thread in a forum ( not only that, but one that's regularly active due to the two aforementioned ), that should tell you something.

Ah, but, we are in the age of faux news.

I am not attempting to call or single anyone out; however, I am willing to call a spade a spade for the sake of discussion.  As someone who regularly participates in politics, I am attempting to share from the other side, expounding on your comment, CF.

My overall suggestion is learn to ignore what you don't want to see and focus on what you do want to see. It's not like the threads are open books in any forum; you have to choose to open and read them.

First of all I welcome your views Ahavati.

All your points make perfect sense.
I too had to argue with my own self before going ahead with the creation of this thread.
Your point re the overarching umbrella that is the Speakeasy Forum is absolutely spot on. And if not for the experience of self and a few of the DU poets who, as you know poets are more sensitive to things in general and especially of negative nature, and DU being an escape for all people coming away from their own personal struggles , am saying the sanctuary nature of the place is being somewhat disturbed.  
Your advice re choosing and exercising the option to ignore is very valid.
All I am trying to do is explore, the options, the pros and cons of having a dedicated space to exercise free speech and let steam off without infringing on the right of existence and to be in prominence of other threads of other (non-political) variety.
Unfortunately, rules only end up being drafted after the trust, the good faith/ expectations of and from all to observe decency and do the right thing are repeatedly ignored and others' right to peaceful enjoyment of life are not respected. Just like the right to protest does not mean right to disrupt the peace of a suburban neighbourhood. The town halls the public squares the dedicated venues.

thank You once again for your invaluable insight and shedding lights on all other aspects of the request.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

When you subtract the blatant bait threads, the few legitimate threads dedicated to current [f]actual events remaining don't really justify the need for a brand new subforum.

Go to page:
Go to: