do we want the BAME competition to be a DUP feature?

52.94% • 9 votes • nie
47.06% • 8 votes • aye
Total votes: 17
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

do we want the BAME competition to be a DUP feature?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

anna_grin said:boys you’re saying we already have balance. im saying we do not. why can’t we admit we are imperfect, that du is not what it was in days of yore and is not unblemished by the cancers of the wider internet.

a and lep if yous could keep it above the belt

I'd like to see the imbalance if you have any examples. I'm not saying you're wrong,  I'd just like to see what you are talking about, it would help me understand a lot better

not interested in having MTV's deathmatch with anyone about it. I am genuinely interested in your thoughts there

Efit: absolutely DU is not perfect. would you come here if it was ?  I dunno if I would

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

anna_grin said:goddamit a sorry for not being perfect lol

i think a big chunk of our users here are american, actually, so a comparison makes sense from that perspective.

and from over here, a britty brit brit, we see a few valid reasons to dislike america as a country, yet that ought not to spill over into hate towards americans. they were born without consent like everyone else.

i still see a problem with equating anti-americanism with racism, i appreciate that might not be what you were going for, but it just rings a bit hollow to call "american" a race, at this point in america's history, anyway.  native american is a whole different thing and i know you're very knowledgeable on that.

hope that explains a lil bit

LMAO Wait. What? You're not perfect?! You're forgiven!

I certainly don't, nor have ever equated this site with America. On the contrary, I equate it with England!
I asked because Lepp is Irish, not British. I wanted your opinion as British.

I don't think the site should vocally be anti-any-country, myself. My love for England precludes any biased nature I would have toward it, despite how I was treated when there. Humans are humans regardless of skin color or nationality; and those who express anti-whatever views are unevolved in their understanding of humanity as a whole. Those expressions really have nothing to do with the person/people they are expressed to. On the contrary, it has everything to do with the person/people who expressed them. When that is understood by the majority of Humans, they will stop taking things so personally and war will cease to exist by non-reaction.

That's my view and I'm sticking to it!

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

lepperochan said:

I'd like to see the imbalance if you have any examples. I'm not saying you're wrong,  I'd just like to see what you are talking about, it would help me understand a lot better

not interested in having MTV's deathmatch with anyone about it. I am genuinely interested in your thoughts there

Efit: absolutely DU is not perfect. would you come here if it was ?  I dunno if I would

well, owing to the fact that everyone has the choice here to remain anonymous, that would be extremely difficult for me to do.  what is clear to me is the imbalance already evident in the english speaking world of poetry and it makes sense to me that du would not be immune from that imbalance.

i'm gonna have to come very close to naming names here, but i think also that tacit acceptance of an individual claiming blackness (while simultaneously openly showing she is not,in fact, black and very far from it) for her own political purposes is a right slap in the face to the black community.  you may not call that racism, i do, at the very very least its blatant racial ignorance.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

anna_grin said:

well, owing to the fact that everyone has the choice here to remain anonymous, that would be extremely difficult for me to do.  what is clear to me is the imbalance already evident in the english speaking world of poetry and it makes sense to me that du would not be immune from that imbalance.

i'm gonna have to come very close to naming names here, but i think also that tacit acceptance of an individual claiming blackness (while simultaneously openly showing she is not,in fact, black and very far from it) for her own political purposes is a right slap in the face to the black community.  you may not call that racism, i do, at the very very least its blatant racial ignorance.

It's blatant something alright and smells like a burning paper bag on a doorstep, but at some point you have to accept it for what it is: the gimmick of someone who thinks acting like a shock jock is scoring points for any cause.

Do not mistake that for tacit acceptance; I believe enough has already been said about said person's ridiculousness.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

JohnnyBlaze said:

It's blatant something alright and smells like a burning paper bag on a doorstep, but at some point you have to accept it for what it is: the gimmick of someone who thinks acting like a shock jock is scoring points for any cause.

yeah i know and more fool me for trying to have a conversation with.  still i don't think that precludes it from being an insidiously racist action.

and by creating this space suggested here or a space like it i hoped to rise above that argument and give genuine black and minority poets an opportunity to shine, win trophies, and just generally be heard.  

i don't want it to have to completely fall on minority poets to fight loud enough that we all hear them.  added to which there are much bigger issues to be talked about than one lone troll.

i posted an article a little bit back about black poets in the uk and their struggles with publishing houses, the low acceptance rate for black poets, and tending to be confined within their identity as "a black poet".  

i don't think du is a magical fairy land where we all shed our worldly identity and frolic among the free minded. and i don't think that would be very interesting, anyway. i think it is informed by the world, and reflects the world.

that's why.  that's why i wanted this. not for me to feel super good about myself or to satisfy some white saviour complex.  i think it would be ideal if the host of such a proposed competition (if we're even still talking about that at this point) was black or minority themselves. that's why i invited cabcool to judge.  

and if i make mistakes i wholly invite you to call me out on them and we can talk about it.

sincerely,

One White Girl Trying

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

^ Your effort is much more effective ( and recognized not as a Karen ) than our final Freedom thread effort.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

Ahavati said:^ Your effort is much more effective ( and recognized not as a Karen ) than our final Freedom thread effort.

idk a i tried to reduce forum spamshite and that was a bit shat upon, though i could have been going about that the wrong way.

also (to publicly say) while there has no doubt been a catalyst for this  I am in no way launching a personal attack. been there done that got told off for it. this is a suggestion of a permanent or semipermanent alternative space . i guess it doesn’t have to start right now but i have put the idea out there and i hope for a response

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

open call to any poets willing to take up the mantle: im here for support if needed, but you’re very free to set the shit up without me. i never made any claim over the original competition. it was a peace offering.

let me find the link to the competition thread

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/11711/

(not a hundred percent sure why it got slapped with an extreme content warning but it coulda been the weird rapey poem that was submitted and then removed)

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2255

by creating this space suggested here or a space like it i hoped to rise above that argument and give genuine black white and minority poets an opportunity to shine, win trophies, and just generally be heard.

OH I Agree
It will be
about as balanced
as we can get it
where everyone
EVERYONE
Has an opportunity to shine,
win trophies,
and just generally be heard.
No matter Who they are
Where they are
or even
OH THE SHOCK
THE HORROR
The Color
Of Their Skin

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

wouldn’t that be nice drone but the world doesn’t work that way. thank you for your input.

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011

anna_grin said:wouldn’t that be nice drone but the world doesn’t work that way. thank you for your input.

True
but
We are talking
about this site
where EVERYONE
AND ANYONE
CAN HAVE THIER SAY
It's a bit like
Being blind
color blind

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

drone said:

True
but
We are talking
about this site
where EVERYONE
AND ANYONE
CAN HAVE THIER SAY
It's a bit like
Being blind
color blind

colour blindness just ignores the problems. and here you are, having your say. what about a bame competition would stop you from doing that?

sorry jb i know you literally see shades of grey 😂

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

anna_grin said:

colour blindness just ignores the problems. and here you are, having your say. what about a bame competition would stop you from doing that?

sorry jb i know you literally see shades of grey 😂

LOL I can still see colors! I just don't know what the eff they are depending on  the lighting most of the time.

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011

[quote-520464-anna_grin]

It's a bit like
One would suggest
one research's
these words
to understand
the whole meaning
OF

It's a bit like
being blind
color blind

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

i’d suggest some research of your own there to bring you up to speed black / minority issues.

or you know. read the thread

ahaha jb that must be confusing at the traffic lights

Go to page:
Go to: