do we want the BAME competition to be a DUP feature?

52.94% • 9 votes • nie
47.06% • 8 votes • aye
Total votes: 17
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

do we want the BAME competition to be a DUP feature?

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

i was thinking of running it month-long, every month, but i don't know that i can commit to judging / finding a new guest judge every month.  

i thought that maybe the winner of last month's competition could maybe carry the torch into next month's and so on

wanna gauge the amount of support and enthusiasm this has before i waste my and everyone's time trying to make a damn difference

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/11711/

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

anna_grin said:i was thinking of running it month-long, every month, but i don't know that i can commit to judging / finding a new guest judge every month.  

i thought that maybe the winner of last month's competition could maybe carry the torch into next month's and so on

wanna gauge the amount of support and enthusiasm this has before i waste my and everyone's time trying to make a damn difference

I think its a great idea!

But then again, I'm whiter than Sara Lee sandwich bread, so all I have to offer is non-entry suppport. And I don't really have time for extra-curricular activities like judging additional comps.

So, just ignore this!

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

JohnnyBlaze said:

I think its a great idea!

But then again, I'm whiter than Sara Lee sandwich bread, so all I have to offer is non-entry suppport. And I don't really have time for extra-curricular activities like judging additional comps.

So, just ignore this!

i never have to worry about cars running me over at night because my skin is that hi-viz shit.

i want everyone's opinions, so thanks for your support x

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

aye would definitely support it.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

Ahavati said:aye would definitely support it.

thank you x

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

Yes
(even though i never got around to participating in the 1st one You hosted -- i didn't feel 100% comfortable - what with me being a half-breed, and all)

But would definitely support You on this and would even be an on - call judge if You needed help or were away.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

I am curious as to the reasons for the nies? Perhaps those voting against could elaborate?

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati said:I am curious as to the reasons for the nies? Perhaps those voting against could elaborate?

Agree - it's not like it's doing any harm

Perhaps they feel it further (and/or continues to divide homo sapiens)
Just tossing that thought out loud.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

Tallen said:Yes
(even though i never got around to participating in the 1st one You hosted -- i didn't feel 100% comfortable - what with me being a half-breed, and all)

But would definitely support You on this and would even be an on - call judge if You needed help or were away.

like i said in the thread i'm not the stasi in your case its really down to how much you identify with your minority side- you would be more than welcome to compete in the current or any upcoming competitions x

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

Ahavati said:I am curious as to the reasons for the nies? Perhaps those voting against could elaborate?

i don't expect they will,  but you cant make a poll with only one answer i'm just gonna assume they're racist or trolling but any other input would be helpful

edit bc assumptions make an ass out of u and me

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

anna_grin said:

like i said in the thread i'm not the stasi in your case its really down to how much you identify with your minority side- you would be more than welcome to compete in the current or any upcoming competitions x

i have ID'd more than my siblings with my Asian side - it's why i inherited many Okinawan related stuff when my Okinawan Grandparents died.  i spent more time with my 祖母 (Sobo) than any in my family.  She even wrote a letter to the Okinawan relatives introducing me (i got stationed at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan, back in the early 1980's).

You did tell me this and am Hoping others in the Deep who are of mixed race know and understand this, as well.  

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

Tallen said:

Agree - it's not like it's doing any harm

Perhaps they feel it further (and/or continues to divide homo sapiens)
Just tossing that thought out loud.

ah, yes there are those who see equity as an attack against equality. the fact is that the western culture of poetry is a historically white dominated institution and a space for black / minority poets is just a stone on the other side of the scale.  its still heavily skewed white and i'd challenge anyone to prove it's not

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

looks like a pretty even split so far

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

anna_grin said:looks like a pretty even split so far

Give it time. Thank goodness there's fewer Negative Nancies than there are Positive Polly-annas at DUP.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

JohnnyBlaze said:

Give it time. Thank goodness there's fewer Negative Nancies than there are Positive Polly-annas at DUP.

i'll be patient

Go to page:
Go to: