Go to page:

potential measures against spam

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3086

really hoping some moderators will chime in with a bit more than tough titties on this one 🤷‍♀️

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9708

anna_grin said:alright, lads ladies and daisies

no pitchforks, no witch hunts, no singling people out, no suppression of free speech, no naughty stair, no none of that

just a frankly genius original idea to limit the amount of new threads you can create and the times you may post in a single day.

we are limited to 2 poems per day to reduce spam, yet the strange mystery meat abounds in the forums.

this will keep topics more balanced. the only downside i can see is you won't be able to post as many pictures of your cat.

thoughts?


You are only allowed to have two competitions running at the same time, this includes when comps are locked for public vote. There are some here who continually start threads ( particularly political ) which could be combined ( I'll not name them because I don't want to point anyone specific out ). Or, whenever a thread gets ( justifiably ) deprioritized ( meaning it won't show up in the forum list at the bottom of your page ), they create another to surpass the deprioritization.

Outside of Official DU functions, perhaps only two active threads per member? Particularly politcal threads.

Also, some members post entire pages of consecutive posts in a day, which fills the threads up. Perhaps a limit on daily consecutive posts in a single thread? This will allow other threads to circulate to the top vs the same threads being bumped by the same member/s repeatedly.

As much as the ego part of me would LOVE to never see certain faces and their threads EVER again, the higher part of me knows it's better to learn to overcome vs hide them. That they may trigger me is simply an indication that I have self-work to do.


anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3086

Ahavati said:

You are only allowed to have two competitions running at the same time, this includes when comps are locked for public vote. There are some here who continually start threads ( particularly political ) which could be combined ( I'll not name them because I don't want to point anyone specific out ). Or, whenever a thread gets ( justifiably ) deprioritized ( meaning it won't show up in the forum list at the bottom of your page ), they create another to surpass the deprioritization.

Outside of Official DU functions, perhaps only two active threads per member? Particularly politcal threads. Also, some members post entire pages of posts in a day, which fills the threads up. Perhaps a limit on daily consecutive posts in a single thread? This will allow other threads to circulate to the top vs the same threads being bumped by the same member/s repeatedly.

As much as the ego part of me would LOVE to never see certain faces and their threads EVER again, the higher part of me knows it's better to learn to overcome vs hide them. That they may trigger me is simply an indication that I have self-work to do.



consecutive, yes, good idea. this is the kind of detail i wouldn't be able to come up with on my own. i know that this or any other suggestion here would require work and effort but its worth looking into

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9708

anna_grin said:

consecutive, yes, good idea. this is the kind of detail i wouldn't be able to come up with on my own. i know that this or any other suggestion here would require work and effort but its worth looking into


I counted almost 30 consecutive posts in a thread in a single day once; I mean that's almost two pages you have to shift through just to get to someone else.

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2522

Umm said:Eh,.. Interesting suggestion, but I don't really feel like this would be a good idea.

Maybe it would be wise to have a limit on the number of threads someone can start in one day,.. But as far as I know, there's no one out there starting more than one or two.

As for the limit on forum posts, I don't really see a good reason for it either,
a while back I was looking at a few other poetry sites, most of their forums were dead, which really turned me off to wanting to join. It made it seem like the site was dead. I think that if there was a set limit on the number of times people could post in the forums per day, it might cause them to stop interacting with each other,.. which would defeat the purpose of having forums, but I could be way off.

Just my thoughts c:



❤️

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2522

Blackwolf said:Two...

Maybe four...

That would stop the idiots...


People are called  idiots
when someone disagrees with them

It is only called spam when it is not what one prefers to hear or read

Otherwise the posts are supported even if they are repeated (spam)

I have a narcissist ex who thinks everyone is an idiot who doesn't agree with him

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2522

Blackwolf said:

How about in a particular forum a day ?

Not total , just in that forum?


FREEDOM TO POST ALL DAY EVERYDAY AS LONG AS THIS SITE IS UP

IF YOU DONT LIKE THE FORUM DONT READ IT

WITHOUT TOLERANCE
PREJUDICE AND INJUSTICE IS ALLOWED TO GROW
RESTRICTION FEEDS THE BEAST

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2522

Blackwolf said:

Ricky...you hopefully know I respect you...

But on this , I totally disagree with you...

You , yourself , post more junk , than most on this site...

Your art is great...I wish you well in your success...

Yet much of your other posts...

Well , I shall say , I would question the merit...

Do be careful with who you question , when
others could point out how much of your posting
lacks deep content , or applicability to the situation...

Are we cool ?


It's not fair to call something that Ricky has written from his heart or perhaps is therapy for him "junk"
That is very distasteful

If someone were to read something he wrote and it created change or inspired them in some way who are we to say what is junk
It has a different flavor than most writings but he has freedom to post it
I suppose as you have freedom to call it junk
It's just not nice

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3086

Valeriyabeyond said:

FREEDOM TO POST ALL DAY EVERYDAY AS LONG AS THIS SITE IS UP

IF YOU DONT LIKE THE FORUM DONT READ IT

WITHOUT TOLERANCE
PREJUDICE AND INJUSTICE IS ALLOWED TO GROW
RESTRICTION FEEDS THE BEAST


hi val, Iím thinking more of pages and pages of links or copy pasted text, such as (for example) a few threads by a user where he has replied to himself over 50 times with long chunks of text.

i also think some users have too many active threads especially for political debate in what seems like an effort to overwhelm the forums.

in any discussion it is reasonable to allow the other person or side to speak after you have made your point.

i am suggesting that some sort of restriction, one that we agree is not limiting to creativity or conversation, could facilitate balance. many forum sites use this method. i do not know, because i am not a site overlord, what limits already exist. itís not an attack on free speech at all.  itís an appeal to common sense.

thatís a much better explanation than the thread intro

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3086

Valeriyabeyond said:

It's not fair to call something that Ricky has written from his heart or perhaps is therapy for him "junk"
That is very distasteful

If someone were to read something he wrote and it created change or inspired them in some way who are we to say what is junk
It has a different flavor than most writings but he has freedom to post it
I suppose as you have freedom to call it junk
It's just not nice


I appreciate your trying to keep the personal away from this one val x

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2522

Blackwolf said:

I do understand , Umm , however it is true , some in the forum ,
go overboard , and take it to far...have you seen , and totally read
this thread , as a just for instance ?

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/11459/1185/


Nah, nah, nah BW you are not going to use my thread as an example of a distateful thread
That is pushing my boundaries

I welcome anyone who would like to post on the Govt thread whatever  they feel is relevant to the conversion
"Without name calling"

If you feel someone is posting  too much too often then don't read find something else to do

Frankly it's only because you disagree with what is posted
That is a biased attitude

calling out my thread as a bad egg on my thread  is acceptable be my guest
Don't do it from another thread that is not cool

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3086

my bad for missing that, val. i think bw is not referring to your thread as bad itself, but some pages and pages of dodgy links. that said, it's best not to go for specifics here x

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2522

anna_grin said:

hi val, Iím thinking more of pages and pages of links or copy pasted text, such as (for example) a few threads by a user where he has replied to himself over 50 times with long chunks of text.

i also think some users have too many active threads especially for political debate in what seems like an effort to overwhelm the forums.

in any discussion it is reasonable to allow the other person or side to speak after you have made your point.

i am suggesting that some sort of restriction, one that we agree is not limiting to creativity or conversation, could facilitate balance. many forum sites use this method. i do not know, because i am not a site overlord, what limits already exist. itís not an attack on free speech at all.  itís an appeal to common sense.

thatís a much better explanation than the thread intro


You are a dear anna_grin
I disagree
To end or restrict the thread where the posts are excessive and there is no conversation  going anywhere but a reply back to himself would be targeting a member who we disagree with

An attempt to control his choices is  a virtual gang bang by his peers

It obviously doesn't matter to them that no one replies
He feels he needs to share this information
It's important to him

How is he interfering in our lives if he has created his own thread?
Just don't subscribe

The numerous political threads that have  created will fall away on their own

if no one is posting but the host then a moderator should determine whether the thread is at risk of causing harm to someone who may be reading it
Disinformation would be an example of that

FYI to anyone reading this
It really is not that important to me to be the host of a political thread if someone wants to take the reigns and change the format as it is just ask
It's not going to burn my nuts any
If anyone out there feels the need to grab it
I will smile and walk away
Peace

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3086

val, it would target no one in particular, it would be anyone who uses the forums in this way. if i made a thread for Abortion is a Human Right and proceeded to fill the comments up with screenshots, links and wall text it would be treated exactly the same.

if you do have any better ideas, please share

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2522

I am such a f**ckn bleeding 💓

But I still support my statements and have no regrets
UnderDog is my idol🤗

Go to page:
Go to: