Go to page:

potential measures against spam

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2387

Magdalena said:Hi Anna.

I think rather than limit how many times a member is allowed to post daily in the forums, maybe a spring clean of repetitive threads, bunch the same topic that has been created tens of times into one thread. Delete threads with no responses or one or two. Have an option to hide comments and responses from those members you don't want to see so they don't interfere with threads you enjoy reading and such.

Just some ideas. I wouldn't like to see limits on daily posts, in case someone is crying out for help and needs some urgent advice, desperation and such.

Those are some pretty awesome ideas✨💡

It might be good if members were able to hide certain threads they're not interested in as well, I know we have the option to unsub a thread, but in certain situations it would be nice to be able to hide it as well 🤔☺️

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

I’m not trying to take away anyone’s toys, or prevent anyone reaching out for help, but my god if suggesting change around here isn’t like a dibley parish meeting ...

with all love none of your suggestions are as simple and effective as a reasonable limit on posting.

you do have some good ideas but some of them are i think already in effect.

I’ll come back to this one later

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Umm said:

Those are some pretty awesome ideas✨💡

It might be good if members were able to hide certain threads they're not interested in as well, I know we have the option to unsub a thread, but in certain situations it would be nice to be able to hide it as well 🤔☺️

Being able to hide threads is a great idea also.

If anyone is replying to a comment on a thread, then maybe if there is only a "quote"  tab, that way what the other person has said always has to be quoted when replying to them and if you have them hid, you won't see the reply. Have a new comment tab if you are not replying to someone. If it is a new comment then have a little message pop up to remind if it is a reply to another comment use "quote" tab. It won't be totally fool proof I know and probably not doable without reinventing the platform.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

Magdalena said:

Being able to hide threads is a great idea also.

If anyone is replying to a comment on a thread, then maybe if there is only a "quote"  tab, that way what the other person has said always has to be quoted when replying to them and if you have them hid, you won't see the reply. Have a new comment tab if you are not replying to someone. If it is a new comment then have a little message pop up to remind if it is a reply to another comment use "quote" tab. It won't be totally fool proof I know and probably not doable without reinventing the platform.

That's actually ingenious! XD ..The reply button on posts is pretty useless, I sometimes click on it by accident when I want to reply to someone and it just takes you to the bottom of the page to make a new post.

This could actually work imo, and it doesn't seem to me that difficult to change c:

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

@Anna, apologies for going a bit off topic

We might have to start a new suggestion thread xD

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

Umm said:@Anna, apologies for going a bit off topic

We might have to start a new suggestion thread xD

it is kind of related, im just frustrated. how about I edit the name of this thread to something like: potential measures  against spam

don’t want to be clogging up the damn forums...

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

anna_grin said:

it is kind of related, im just frustrated. how about I edit the name of this thread to something like: potential measures  against spam

Go into your very first post and edit, you can change the title there.

Edit: You already did it.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

anna_grin said:

Okei, that would be nice
Thank you <3

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

really hoping some moderators will chime in with a bit more than tough titties on this one 🤷‍♀️

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14656

anna_grin said:alright, lads ladies and daisies

no pitchforks, no witch hunts, no singling people out, no suppression of free speech, no naughty stair, no none of that

just a frankly genius original idea to limit the amount of new threads you can create and the times you may post in a single day.

we are limited to 2 poems per day to reduce spam, yet the strange mystery meat abounds in the forums.

this will keep topics more balanced. the only downside i can see is you won't be able to post as many pictures of your cat.

thoughts?

You are only allowed to have two competitions running at the same time, this includes when comps are locked for public vote. There are some here who continually start threads ( particularly political ) which could be combined ( I'll not name them because I don't want to point anyone specific out ). Or, whenever a thread gets ( justifiably ) deprioritized ( meaning it won't show up in the forum list at the bottom of your page ), they create another to surpass the deprioritization.

Outside of Official DU functions, perhaps only two active threads per member? Particularly politcal threads.

Also, some members post entire pages of consecutive posts in a day, which fills the threads up. Perhaps a limit on daily consecutive posts in a single thread? This will allow other threads to circulate to the top vs the same threads being bumped by the same member/s repeatedly.

As much as the ego part of me would LOVE to never see certain faces and their threads EVER again, the higher part of me knows it's better to learn to overcome vs hide them. That they may trigger me is simply an indication that I have self-work to do.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

Ahavati said:

You are only allowed to have two competitions running at the same time, this includes when comps are locked for public vote. There are some here who continually start threads ( particularly political ) which could be combined ( I'll not name them because I don't want to point anyone specific out ). Or, whenever a thread gets ( justifiably ) deprioritized ( meaning it won't show up in the forum list at the bottom of your page ), they create another to surpass the deprioritization.

Outside of Official DU functions, perhaps only two active threads per member? Particularly politcal threads. Also, some members post entire pages of posts in a day, which fills the threads up. Perhaps a limit on daily consecutive posts in a single thread? This will allow other threads to circulate to the top vs the same threads being bumped by the same member/s repeatedly.

As much as the ego part of me would LOVE to never see certain faces and their threads EVER again, the higher part of me knows it's better to learn to overcome vs hide them. That they may trigger me is simply an indication that I have self-work to do.

consecutive, yes, good idea. this is the kind of detail i wouldn't be able to come up with on my own. i know that this or any other suggestion here would require work and effort but its worth looking into

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14656

anna_grin said:

consecutive, yes, good idea. this is the kind of detail i wouldn't be able to come up with on my own. i know that this or any other suggestion here would require work and effort but its worth looking into

I counted almost 30 consecutive posts in a thread in a single day once; I mean that's almost two pages you have to shift through just to get to someone else.

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

Umm said:Eh,.. Interesting suggestion, but I don't really feel like this would be a good idea.

Maybe it would be wise to have a limit on the number of threads someone can start in one day,.. But as far as I know, there's no one out there starting more than one or two.

As for the limit on forum posts, I don't really see a good reason for it either,
a while back I was looking at a few other poetry sites, most of their forums were dead, which really turned me off to wanting to join. It made it seem like the site was dead. I think that if there was a set limit on the number of times people could post in the forums per day, it might cause them to stop interacting with each other,.. which would defeat the purpose of having forums, but I could be way off.

Just my thoughts c:

❤️

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020

Blackwolf said:Two...

Maybe four...

That would stop the idiots...

People are called  idiots
when someone disagrees with them

It is only called spam when it is not what one prefers to hear or read

Otherwise the posts are supported even if they are repeated (spam)

I have a narcissist ex who thinks everyone is an idiot who doesn't agree with him

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020

Blackwolf said:

How about in a particular forum a day ?

Not total , just in that forum?

FREEDOM TO POST ALL DAY EVERYDAY AS LONG AS THIS SITE IS UP

IF YOU DONT LIKE THE FORUM DONT READ IT

WITHOUT TOLERANCE