Page:

Competitions

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1376

I would just like to know how long a competition has to be “abandoned” before it gets put to a vote.

I had a comp end earlier today and won’t really have time to get to judging until Monday. Is that too late? I can make it work if I need to. Just wondering about my time frame.

Also, I know this isn’t a suggestion. So don’t come at me. I just need some info, please!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

You should be fine until Monday —it’s about 2 weeks or so, before comps end up on the abandoned list

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

MadameLavender said:You should be fine until Monday —it’s about 2 weeks or so, before comps end up on the abandoned list

perfect! thanks so much!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

DaisyGrace said:I would just like to know how long a competition has to be “abandoned” before it gets put to a vote.

I had a comp end earlier today and won’t really have time to get to judging until Monday. Is that too late? I can make it work if I need to. Just wondering about my time frame.

Also, I know this isn’t a suggestion. So don’t come at me. I just need some info, please!

You should know better by now ... Damn you to the fires of hell, DaisyGrace! 🔥🔥

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

JohnnyBlaze said:

You should know better by now ... Damn you to the fires of hell, DaisyGrace! 🔥🔥

I’m going to need a sarcasm font up in here!

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5310

Just a thought for the Mods and Webmiss to consider.

I find the inability to vote for the entry one nominates for the poem of the month a bit restrictive. I mean, the idea that one must choose some other work than the one they nominated kinda comes in the way of taking part in the voting process.

As it's not the nominator's own work, I believe they should be allowed to vote for the entry they've felt the most deserving.

I understand the comp is just not about crowning one particular poem, but also about highlighting all the other amazing works that deserve recognition.

Hope the powers to be give it a thought.

cheers
cf

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

not going to try change your mind.

personally I think it's about the bigger picture: for the most part it's those who nominate a poem who vote. if everyone voted for their nominee there will be a 10+ way split and no winner unless non-nominees come into the fold which isn't guaranteed in any great numbers

this will undoubtedly hold up the vote and as seen already in the three site sponsored nominatory comps a hold up could cause a clash of months

I think also, especially when the more seasoned poet nominates a poem his/ her public endorsement of said poem is probably worth at least a couple of votes

so prap's in that context anyway the current guidelines level tbe playing field somewhat

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5310

lepperochan said:not going to try change your mind.

personally I think it's about the bigger picture: for the most part it's those who nominate a poem who vote. if everyone voted for their nominee there will be a 10+ way split and no winner unless non-nominees come into the fold which isn't guaranteed in any great numbers

this will undoubtedly hold up the vote and as seen already in the three site sponsored nominatory comps a hold up could cause a clash of months

I think also, especially when the more seasoned poet nominates a poem his/ her public endorsement of said poem is probably worth at least a couple of votes

so prap's in that context anyway the current guidelines level tbe playing field somewhat

well, first of all Thank You! for the prompt response.

you make some pretty solid points there dear Sire. Makes perfect sense to me, especially the reasons with practicalities re the way things are.

In short. You did change my mind.

warm regards
cf

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

MadameLavender said:You should be fine until Monday —it’s about 2 weeks or so, before comps end up on the abandoned list
Correct, it's two weeks.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

cold_fusion said:Just a thought for the Mods and Webmiss to consider.

I find the inability to vote for the entry one nominates for the poem of the month a bit restrictive. I mean, the idea that one must choose some other work than the one they nominated kinda comes in the way of taking part in the voting process.

As it's not the nominator's own work, I believe they should be allowed to vote for the entry they've felt the most deserving.

I understand the comp is just not about crowning one particular poem, but also about highlighting all the other amazing works that deserve recognition.

Hope the powers to be give it a thought.

cheers
cf

The poem of the month set up is a bit of a bastardisation of how the competitions and voting was designed to work, by virtue of the fact that people are nominating poems by others, rather than submitting their own entries. That has added some complexity to the code, so I'd rather keep the "special cases" to a minimum and have them behave as much like a normal competition as possible. That's not to say that you haven't made a compelling argument, and I don't disagree in principle.

Page:
Go to: