Go to page:

DU: How to Behave?

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

David_Macleod said:

A Private Group requiring separate membership (18+) Could be set up for discussions of more contentious issues
In fact a place for opinions and reasonable arguments and debates
A written adult warning is given on the front-page to join this group
I am sure there are plenty of people who would want to help in this group
it would still have to have rules, maybe based on the current DU guidelines

It would mean that new members and existing members would not be tainted by
by exposure to personal drama or abuse because they would then have to deliberately
join that particular group and be required to tick they have read and understood the description and rules

Why rebel if it is coupled with the facility group for other subjects that they could join it could be a group providing multi forums of free speech debates, in fact, could include all the existing forums that are not specifically about poetry?

Just thinking out loud

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

Blackwolf said:

Let us see what others say ...

All Right Get The Lead Out Of Your Boots ,
Or Arsenic Out Of Your High Heels , Lime
Out Of Your Sandals , And Stink Out Of
Your Sneakers...

Come right on in , and say what you choose to say...

Or stay the F**king shut up , and suffer when it is over...

Clear ?

Good...glad I was F**king clear !

I have problems getting lead boots in my size

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

David_Macleod said:

I have problems getting lead boots in my size

A kilt is all that's required of you David

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

Valeriyabeyond said:

A kilt is all that's required of you David

now that I can do!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

I posted this suggestion near the beginning of the 1st Freedom of Speech And Censorship thread earlier this year.

====================

Thankfully we do have the ability to block abusive and annoying people on our poems without having to rely on a 3rd party ( moderators + admin with their internal politics ) to intervene.

If only the DUP site software could render personally blocked users completely hidden from view to the blocker on everything - poems, forum, and "public non-clique" groups. Another competing writing site with software that is 20 something years old already does this.

Allowing every obnoxious post left intact, all members seeing such could voluntary self censor. The responsibility for being ignored would then fall squarely on the shoulders of the obnoxious.

It gives everyone the ability to self censor without having to file a single report about anything. Then no one can complain their Free Speech rights are being trampled on.

Censoring the chronic abusers completely from the site for not using the site as intended would then solely be up to the moderators without any input from the members - in the interest of keeping it clean of obvious abuse, SPAM, etc, to continue attracting non members and fresh subscription dollars.

Then if the moderators aren't being dilligent at keeping the site attractive, it is up the site owner to replace them without any 2 cents necessary from the current membership and its politics ( unless a situation involving an abusive moderator arises ... again ).

An abusive member really isn't deserving of participating in the comps launched by someone they have been abusing. People blocked purely based on personal dislike is then the legitimate concern. Comps put to a vote are a non issue. I imagine the software can be programmed to work out the problem, but that bridge has yet to be crossed.

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1121

I have never had any issues with anyone here, but can certainly see the personalities at play. Some of it is just typical internet behaviour and will never be completely fixed, but there is certainly room for improvement.

So, since someone has asked more members to chime in, here are a few of my thoughts:
I've never blocked anyone so I don't know what happens, but from Johnny's comment above it sounds like they wouldn't get fully blocked from my view. If I ever got to that point, I would feel more protected if I could go about my business here basically with no awareness of them.  If they posted on a poem or forum I'm reading, their comment would just come up as "you can't see this comment because you've blocked this user". Or something like that. (Whether or not I could cope with the curiosity and refrain from unblocking them in order to see it would be totally on me!!) 😀

A separate thought - would it help if the Mods had anonymous accounts solely for carrying out their Mod business? So they could still participate fully in the site as "themselves" but when they are contacting someone about an issue, they would just show up as Mod 1, Mod 2... etc. This would protect the Mods from accusations of favoritism and make it clear to people who break rules that they are indeed being talked to by someone in authority. It would require some self-discipline on the Mods' part to make sure they're only doing Mod stuff with their Mod account, but considering people manage to juggle multiple accounts here anyway (I can't even...!) I think it could be managed. They would have to be allowed to have the Mod account without having to disclose which moderator they are.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

brokentitanium said:I have never had any issues with anyone here, but can certainly see the personalities at play. Some of it is just typical internet behaviour and will never be completely fixed, but there is certainly room for improvement.

So, since someone has asked more members to chime in, here are a few of my thoughts:
I've never blocked anyone so I don't know what happens, but from Johnny's comment above it sounds like they wouldn't get fully blocked from my view. If I ever got to that point, I would feel more protected if I could go about my business here basically with no awareness of them.  If they posted on a poem or forum I'm reading, their comment would just come up as "you can't see this comment because you've blocked this user". Or something like that. (Whether or not I could cope with the curiosity and refrain from unblocking them in order to see it would be totally on me!!) 😀

A separate thought - would it help if the Mods had anonymous accounts solely for carrying out their Mod business? So they could still participate fully in the site as "themselves" but when they are contacting someone about an issue, they would just show up as Mod 1, Mod 2... etc. This would protect the Mods from accusations of favoritism and make it clear to people who break rules that they are indeed being talked to by someone in authority. It would require some self-discipline on the Mods' part to make sure they're only doing Mod stuff with their Mod account, but considering people manage to juggle multiple accounts here anyway (I can't even...!) I think it could be managed. They would have to be allowed to have the Mod account without having to disclose which moderator they are.

Thanks for chiming in, BT; it is greatly appreciated.

As for the scenario I detailed, which I experienced on another site, the posts of the blocked individuals are completely skipped. You would only know a post was made by the individual if it was replied to. While such would result in a somewhat disjointed discussion for you and you alone ( depending on who you blocked and how often they posted ), I know from experience it was well worth it.

ImperfectedStone
The Gardener
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 28awards
Joined 10th Oct 2010
Forum Posts: 1347

I agree with JB here. I would like for certain members not to have access to my work and me to have no access to their life on here. It does make it more of a city or tower block than family but I think that's where we're at. DU has changed and the rules/uses need to change with it. I would appreciate if every side account they have would also be blocked from access when you block.

I also agree with BrokenT. Anonymous mods would make the attacking of mods purely for who they are significantly less.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14263

People don't bother me enough to block them, unless they comment snidely on my poems, then that's it. We're done.

As many times as Sky personally attacked me, we never had each other blocked because we innately knew that respect for poetry was our common ground. I can respect any member's presence and have the strength to simply overlook them; or, for the most part, see their behaviour for what it truly is ( pain, spite, et al ). We all evolve in our own way, and it helps to see that process as it truly is vs becoming entangled or taking things personally.

But, once they step foot on my turf with their drama, they're blocked. However, I can wholly see ( and I support ) why other members may want to just obliterate them from their sight. Fighting sociopaths, narcissits, drama queens/kings, and trolls is not for the faint of heart!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:People don't bother me enough to block them, unless they comment snidely on my poems, then that's it. We're done.

As many times as Sky personally attacked me, we never had each other blocked because we innately knew that respect for poetry was our common ground. I can respect any member's presence and have the strength to simply overlook them; or, for the most part, see their behaviour for what it truly is ( pain, spite, et al ). We all evolve in our own way, and it helps to see that process as it truly is vs becoming entangled or taking things personally.

But, once they step foot on my turf with their drama, they're blocked. However, I can wholly see ( and I support ) why other members may want to just obliterate them from their sight. Fighting sociopaths, narcissits, drama queens/kings, and trolls is not for the faint of heart!

Having locked horns with volatile, attention grabby persons on poetry sites as far back as 2005 and surviving all of those sites crumbling into dust, I'm all for a peaceful atmosphere.

Direct me to the nearest SMART BOMB button pleaze.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

Just a heads up in here, because here’s where a lot of conversations are lately :  I locked a few threads in the speakeasy forum, that were started by members who are no longer here and their accounts show as anonymous .

If anyone wants to restart any of these threads, to give a fresh perspective , feel free, as part of the big reset button for DUP right now .

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14263

MadameLavender said:Just a heads up in here, because here’s where a lot of conversations are lately :  I locked a few threads in the speakeasy forum, that were started by members who are no longer here and their accounts show as anonymous .

If anyone wants to restart any of these threads, to give a fresh perspective , feel free, as part of the big reset button for DUP right now .

GREAT! Thank you, Madame! It's been so positive the last couple of days that is a great idea to keep the momentum moving forward!

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

MadameLavender said:Just a heads up in here, because here’s where a lot of conversations are lately :  I locked a few threads in the speakeasy forum, that were started by members who are no longer here and their accounts show as anonymous .

I don't mind keeping my account reactivated if it means people still get to post in my threads <3

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Umm said:

I don't mind keeping my account reactivated if it means people still get to post in my threads <3

You rock , Umm !

I just wish you were truly staying...

You are one of the truly good souls here !

( my opinion , of course )

Go to page:
Go to: