DU: How to Behave?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Viddax said:
Water under the bridge: Sky, Johnny, Ahavati

- From your comments here, you do not seem to be at war; a full account block seems to remove the possibility of a reconcile such as happened for you three. Full block almost seems to further entrench people into their teams and groups; less likely to have to make the effort to get on with each other because they use a mutual platform (website).

Viddax, there are no groups, teams, or sides when one party ( continually ) harasses others while the others ( continually ) ignore the harassment and them.

And reconciliation is only possible if the offenders make the effort by not being offensive.

I personally can live without associating with certain people offensive or not because it's "optional". Thus, a full blown BLOCK feature suits me just fine. And I wouldn't ever abuse it by prohibiting anyone from participating in a comp I was running, because I can put personal feelings aside for the sake of Poetry.

The only people perpetuating the notions of "sides" at DUP are the people repeatedly vomiting verbal diarrhea in forum posts and poems about being harassed by phantom bullies for the sake of attention.

Ahavati said:Viddax, I am most definitely " not at war ", so thank you for that.  My comment in regards to people not bothering me enough to block them was an alternative way to say,"People can be who they are UNLESS they make snide remarks on my poetry." Then that's it. I have the strength to overlook rabble-rousers. What I do NOT have the strength to overlook, nor would I want to, are bullies ( toward me or another DU member ), and those who have alternate accounts and are not disclosing them. Especially if they are the opposite sex and have had private conversations.

Then you can count on a war, especially if I ( or my friends ) have been personally deceived by such a member.

As far as the moderator's thread, you initially said you were going to start one along with this one. I feel it's your responsibility as the one who is attempting to clarify rules, etc.

Thank you for your efforts

Dittos.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

Talk of war, rumours of war, threats  of war.

It's like this: if you start trouble you get banned just like Sky did  simple.  

Far as the rules go, I'm not sure we need to add more in, just work with the ones we have and be consistent.

as is, as per guidelines, the website (ie Webmiss) has sole discretion. if you read the guidelines, you'll see they're well thought out and cover most things.

there are 5 moderators, Viddax has kindly left a link. you might note there are only 5 and not 5 + 2. sometimes there seems to be confusion so I hope to have cleared that up

what we nearly talked about here is how mods use their discretion and what kind of things a mod can exorcise discretion with

I don't think its something which is easy to define, but I think we could probably have some gradient which goes from discretion to counsel +2 +3 etc

I don't think its viable to consider changing the rules on account of a handful of voices. I think we need something a little more representative. if the majority of people have no problem, then I think our obligations are to the majority

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

lepperochan said:Far as the rules go, I'm not sure we need to add more in, just work with the ones we have and be consistent.

as is, as per guidelines, the website (ie Webmiss) has sole discretion. if you read the guidelines, you'll see they're well thought out and cover most things.

there are 5 moderators, Viddax has kindly left a link. you might note there are only 5 and not 5 + 2. sometimes there seems to be confusion so I hope to have cleared that up

what we nearly talked about here is how mods use their discretion and what kind of things a mod can exorcise discretion with

I don't think its something which is easy to define, but I think we could probably have some gradient which goes from discretion to counsel +2 +3 etc

I don't think its viable to consider changing the rules on account of a handful of voices. I think we need something a little more representative. if the majority of people have no problem, then I think our obligations are to the majority  

The more opinions, the merrier - even from Moderators who are members in threads by other Moderators.

Viddax said:This is a serious thread to discuss and suggest how users should behave on DU, and how misbehaviour should be handled.
Say about the obvious, or even the 'taken-as': if it is not covered then it cannot be truly considered as part of the site.

Input from any and all members is welcomed. Off-topic or jokey 'lol' comments will not be tolerated. Any off-topic or banter about this topic can be made in your thread: but it will not be considered part of the words here.

The current "Terms of Use" is here: https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/terms/.
Behaviour is listed under "4.0 Conduct of Users". - Is there any part that needs to be put in plain words or is unclear?
The aim is to have it clear and understandable by anyone. Please say if you do not follow it or understand it.

For anything that deserves its own thread, please suggest it and a sub-thread will be made for it.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1687

Before commenting I find it useful to run it through a fairly well-known triple filter in my head: (1).Is it true (as far as one can know);  (2).Is it necessary?  (3).Is it kind?  
If everyone did this pretty simple quick-n'-easy check on themselves, we'd all have more energy for writing poetry.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Josh said:Before commenting I find it useful to run it through a fairly well-known triple filter in my head: (1).Is it true (as far as one can know);  (2).Is it necessary?  (3).Is it kind?  
If everyone did this pretty simple quick-n'-easy check on themselves, we'd all have more energy for writing poetry.

If only everyone was more like you, Josh.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

Josh said:Before commenting I find it useful to run it through a fairly well-known triple filter in my head: (1).Is it true (as far as one can know);  (2).Is it necessary?  (3).Is it kind?  

This community is a direct reflection of the world. It mirrors the people the god, the bad and the ugly (1) This is true.
Why should we expect it to be any different?

the world community occasionally feels it necessary to raise their voices concerning injustice. People are sent to jail. They are expelled from the community. There are many criminal types living in the community with some sort of immunity from successful prosecution. "They portray themselves as angels of light" Is DU any different I would say a definite NO! why would we expect it to be any different. Sometimes complaints voiced in comments and poetry are important (2) this is necessary

Sometimes kindness simply doesn't work. If you are kind to ugly personalities like bullies, for example, it will be seen by them as a sign of weakness. The silence of the German people in the rise of the Nazi Party was unforgivable and the collaborators should all have been punished. Is DU any different? Again I would say NO! Many people in the world suffer in silence, some only a few raise their voices and comments and poems can be portrayed as unkind possible cruel. Why should we expect DU to be any different? "It is cruel to be kind, but kind to be kinda cruel"
(3) comments poems exposing honesty and reality can be both kind and unkind

I have a dossier of evidence of members constantly breaking DU guidelines. Other members also have evidence of deliberate cruelty visited on them by DU members. The strange thing is that these pieces of evidence have been shared with the webmiss and the mods and they have either been ignored or protection seems to be given to certain people. This is the history of DU actions and inertia. Most of the complaints I raise about certain members bullying are, in the main, completely ignored as are the complaints from other members

I am a second class member here. I am banned from commenting directly on certain members regardless of their comments about me and their dishonest comments and poetry. I don't think any other members are treated in such a manner. This is despite being a monthly financial subscriber to DU. As was intimated I am considering my membership of a community that allows deliberate cruelty and rule-breaking

(1)This is true (2) This is not necessary (3) this is unkind

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1687

Thank you David. I always enjoy reading your comments because you give me a different perspective to chew on. You're right that sometimes confrontation is necessary  -- and kindness is interpreted (one way or the other) via the very different stories that people carry in their heads.

Since I have German family, I know that of the many German Christians who stood up against the rise of Nazism, 3,000+ of them got sent to the camps and died along with Jews, Gypsies, the handicapped and so on. And now with the rise of Fascism across Europe, especially in the U.K, using bloated reportage of Covid as the cover-excuse, and the enforced-by-violence (big fines) to wear a useless mask, we are all confronted to find where we personally draw a line. It's not easy.

I know very little about DUP politics (don't want to know) but whenever I come across commentary on it, (especially recent events) it makes me want to leave DUP -- but so far I've chosen to stay and have some kind of voice. We need a range of voices; and I value your voice too.

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2915

Josh said:Thank you David. I always enjoy reading your comments because you give me a different perspective to chew on. You're right that sometimes confrontation is necessary  -- and kindness is interpreted (one way or the other) via the very different stories that people carry in their heads.

Since I have German family, I know that of the many German Christians who stood up against the rise of Nazism, 3,000+ of them got sent to the camps and died along with Jews, Gypsies, the handicapped and so on. And now with the rise of Fascism across Europe, especially in the U.K, using bloated reportage of Covid as the cover-excuse, and the enforced-by-violence (big fines) to wear a useless mask, we are all confronted to find where we personally draw a line. It's not easy.

I know very little about DUP politics (don't want to know) but whenever I come across commentary on it, (especially recent events) it makes me want to leave DUP -- but so far I've chosen to stay and have some kind of voice. We need a range of voices; and I value your voice too.

Ive thought about leaving here also in light of recent events and obvious mod bias on this site, which I am sure David and many other members would agree. There are members on here that behave as underhanded cunts and when people call them out for being cunts publicly, they cry and tell the mods. They know who they are.

I agree with you Josh that we need different voices and to relearn the art of discourse and debate. I value diversity of opinions. How can one hope to learn,not just about themselves but others, if they shut themselves off from those they disagree with. I defend anyones rights to freedom of speech and difference of opinion.

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

Carpe_Noctem said:

Ive thought about leaving here also in light of recent events and obvious mod bias on this site, which I am sure David and many other members would agree. There are members on here that behave as underhanded cunts and when people call them out for being cunts publicly, they cry and tell the mods. They know who they are.

I agree with you Josh that we need different voices and to relearn the art of discourse and debate. I value diversity of opinions. How can one hope to learn,not just about themselves but others, if they shut themselves off from those they disagree with. I defend anyones rights to freedom of speech and difference of opinion.

I've said it a million times and will say it again
I have been arrested and gone to jail to protect my free speech , however
name calling is immature and underhanded.
Name calling does not reflect well on the person who is choosing to exercise their freedom of speech
Besides the word cunt reflects badly on vaginas which I happen to be very fond of  

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2915

Valeriyabeyond said:

I've said it a million times and will say it again
I have been arrested and gone to jail to protect my free speech , however
name calling is immature and underhanded.
Name calling does not reflect well on the person who is choosing to exercise their freedom of speech
Besides the word cunt reflects badly on vaginas which I happen to be very fond of  

The term cunt to an Aussie or British is not that big a deal. You could be acting like a right cunt or you could be a top cunt. In our vernacular the term is interchangeable. We all know cunts are useful.

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020

Carpe_Noctem said:

The term cunt to an Aussie or British is not that big a deal. You could be acting like a right cunt or you could be a top cunt. In our vernacular the term is interchangeable. We all know cunts are useful.

Goes to show you us Americans get offended by everything,  if it doesn't come out of our mouths
Much Love Carpe

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

http://trail.pugetsound.edu/?p=7686

Cunti : As Well Other Words Stemming From The Origin Word

I am a firm believer it does not matter what people
say it means now , it is where it emanated from before
it was corrupted and used in "modern" mistaken terms...

It was always a *Holy Word*

Now , by ancient tradition , Cunt has a value of 85 ;

And , another term equaling 85 , means ;

85 = To Set In Motion / Route

Yet , the term "Woman's Cunt = 391

Which is the number for :

Portal = 390 ( Virgin / Regeneration = 1 )

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

Macleod

- I would very interested to see this dossier of yours. I am not going to promise action on it, or even that I will immediately read it. Though if you send it over I will have a look at it, a thorough look.

I am not naive or innocent enough to believe kindness always works. History, such as WW2, has shown that people will raise their voice and arms if things are pushed far enough. Unfortunately it seems that in 2020 there are plenty or voices and arms, but no good cause to channel this and cause meaningful sweeping change. There seems to be a million battles but no grand plan, no unifying driving force: no single good cause to get behind. Just an endless battlefield with skirmishes of woe and suffering!

Josh

- I disagree that masks are useless, though I do not have scientific evidence at hand to back this up. I however probably share your sentiment that current politics seems underhanded and mismanaged: there isn't even any competent super villain that can be hated but respected for their schemes!

I despise 'politics' as in 'groups/factions': partly because I never end up on a team (ego, narcissism  and jealousy!), and partly because disunity fundamentally serves no purpose: it is possible to disagree but be united in a cause!

Carpe & Valeriya

- I dislike swearing/expletives and their over-use, as I treat them as rare steaks to simmer in rage; not just words to use for emphasis because generic-you can't be bothered to learn other words! Though I appreciate that is part of some people's everyday speech; I also appreciate that such words can be seen as highly offensive and suggestive to one person but close to punctuation for someone else.
So people are free to use swear words, but err on the side of caution, in most things, and on DU. = Not to conform to political correctness or any minefield like that, but with common decency in mind!
-> Though the directly above is probably coming across as garbled bollocks; an off-putting mouthful to say the least.

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020

Viddax said:Macleod

- I would very interested to see this dossier of yours. I am not going to promise action on it, or even that I will immediately read it. Though if you send it over I will have a look at it, a thorough look.

I am not naive or innocent enough to believe kindness always works. History, such as WW2, has shown that people will raise their voice and arms if things are pushed far enough. Unfortunately it seems that in 2020 there are plenty or voices and arms, but no good cause to channel this and cause meaningful sweeping change. There seems to be a million battles but no grand plan, no unifying driving force: no single good cause to get behind. Just an endless battlefield with skirmishes of woe and suffering!

Josh

- I disagree that masks are useless, though I do not have scientific evidence at hand to back this up. I however probably share your sentiment that current politics seems underhanded and mismanaged: there isn't even any competent super villain that can be hated but respected for their schemes!

I despise 'politics' as in 'groups/factions': partly because I never end up on a team (ego, narcissism  and jealousy!), and partly because disunity fundamentally serves no purpose: it is possible to disagree but be united in a cause!

Carpe & Valeriya

- I dislike swearing/expletives and their over-use, as I treat them as rare steaks to simmer in rage; not just words to use for emphasis because generic-you can't be bothered to learn other words! Though I appreciate that is part of some people's everyday speech; I also appreciate that such words can be seen as highly offensive and suggestive to one person but close to punctuation for someone else.
So people are free to use swear words, but err on the side of caution, in most things, and on DU. = Not to conform to political correctness or any minefield like that, but with common decency in mind!
-> Though the directly above is probably coming across as garbled bollocks; an off-putting mouthful to say the least.

Holy Crap
Let's not get offended Viddax by the discussion between  a couple adults talking about common words in their  society compared to mine

I thought Carpe and I handled it well between
us.
I know you didn't mean vagina?
That is no different than saying I am fond of toes.

David!! Don't do it David!!
Keep your dossier!!
When I was teaching, I  once had an administrator ask for my daily journal my collection of incident reports
No way!!

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

Valeriya

- I did not think you or Carpe were offending/ being offended. I said about it in order to err on the side of caution if someone thought it would then always be acceptable on DU to call people expletives; not going to smack them down over it. As mentioned I do not like it; a a Mod and as a human being I have to accept to respect it.
It was handled perfectly fine: just an excuse used by me to voice my opinions on that matter; rather than stay sensible and stay silent!

I am not about to force David to share, or then use it as concrete evidence against another member, or even use it as busy-bodying evidence to turn against him. Nor am I about to start watching every single person and action: however I should be more vigilant and visible on the site.
I intensely dislike being micro-managed, and micro-managing others, but I get annoyed with myself when I lose tabs of things and let them slide too far. I cannot always be a disconnected spirit just enjoying life as it seems my nature to do: so any engagement with the world and things I take seriously,  over-seriously.

Go to page:
Go to: