Yes I know hashtags are pain in the ass

nightbirdblue
nightbirdblue
Fire of Insight
United States
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Sep 2017
Forum Posts: 26

JohnnyBlaze said:Has anyone ever suggested a new theme using the Suggest button when adding themes ....?

Webmiss instructed me to do that when I asked for #StephenKing

There was no problem getting it.

Where is the suggest button?

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 2938

On each existing poem.

nightbirdblue said:

Where is the suggest button?

nightbirdblue
nightbirdblue
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 24th Sep 2017

JohnnyBlaze said:On each existing poem.

Sweet thanks!

See, wasnít that an easier way of solving this matter?

nightbirdblue
nightbirdblue
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 24th Sep 2017

Well that sucks. I donít feel that my poem ĎYouíre Looking Rather Smugí quite fits under #lies or #betrayal. But I canít even suggest #deceit because itís a synonym of those?

nightbirdblue
nightbirdblue
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 24th Sep 2017

Same when I tried to add #fear. I feel this hashtag/theme is even more justified to be added to the list. It may be synonymous with #anxiety and #scary, but by no means does it equal them. I hope Webmiss reconsiders at least this one.

I was actually really excited that after years of being on DU I finally learned the easy way of suggesting new themes ......and yet I still canít get what Iím looking for. Hmph.

admin
admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards   profile   ?

I feel it's necessary to reiterate that themes are designed primarily to help the reader, not the writer.

There are always plenty of people wanting to share their writing with others, the challenge for platforms like this has always been getting enough people to read each submission, to give the writer the recognition and feedback they are commonly looking for.

Therefore, many initiatives on DU have been created which are geared towards encouraging members to read other peoples submissions (and not just those of people they already know about). These include the reading challenges and Top Critiquer benefits, also the themes for navigating poems.

Prior to themes, this forum was full of complaints and suggestions about categories. People endlessly suggested new categories or complained that their poem didn't fit in any categories, or fit in more than one. Some people wanted more categories, while others didn't want any at all.

I believe this issue predates the Internet; book stores have sections and writers don't always agree with where they end up.

Like so many things in life, there are no perfect solutions.

The number of themes available is limited for a number of reasons:
- To make the theme explorer manageable
- So we don't have 1000s of theme pages with just one poem, or poems by only one author who is using a particular theme word. We are not twitter, with 500 million + tweets a day, where hash tags naturally occur. If people could freestyle their own themes, then their poems would likely be lost off the radar unless they chose the popular ones.
- The English language has many words which mean broadly the same thing.

There are sites which automatically generate hashtag pages. I think they do this with the primary objective of achieving better keyword rankings in Google, rather than to improve the experience for people using their site. Their systems simply pick words from poems and assume that's what the poem is about. To implement something like that would have been a lot easier than what we currently have, but I personally believe that what we do is better. For example, just because a poem contains the word "baby", doesn't mean it's anything to do with babies!

I agree that themes are not a perfect tool (especially for writers) and I would love to hear productive suggestions for improving them. These suggestions should take into account the reasons behind the implementation of themes, and the other challenges I have mentioned.

If anyone has the answer, as to how best we organise over 300 thousands submissions for readers, then don't hold out on us, please share!

admin
admin
DU Webmistress
1awards   profile   ?

nightbirdblue said:Well that sucks. I donít feel that my poem ĎYouíre Looking Rather Smugí quite fits under #lies or #betrayal. But I canít even suggest #deceit because itís a synonym of those?

I have now added the theme #deception

admin
admin
DU Webmistress
1awards   profile   ?

nightbirdblue said:Same when I tried to add #fear. I feel this hashtag/theme is even more justified to be added to the list. It may be synonymous with #anxiety and #scary, but by no means does it equal them. I hope Webmiss reconsiders at least this one.

I was actually really excited that after years of being on DU I finally learned the easy way of suggesting new themes ......and yet I still canít get what Iím looking for. Hmph.

I have also now added #fear.

Go to page:
Go to: