butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 854

Ahavati said:

I didn't realize it didn't include that! I've never let it stop me from expressing whether one has or not.
it doesn't

a good critique addresses those as strong points: if it can touch the reader, move them emotionally, make them THINK and FEEL then that connection is an important part of the crit.

there's a difference, though, between the emotional investment of the author and the emotional reaction of the reader... they don't always correlate

*sigh* i kinda wish more people knew what a good critique was. surely there's a thread here addressing that?

PeaceTreatyeceiP
PeaceTreatyeceiP
Strange Creature
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Nov 2019
Forum Posts: 5

buddhakitty said:There needs to another choice where the critique is based upon whether the poem has hit an emotional, psychological or spiritual target. Not merely formal mechanics or structure. For a few of us what we say is far more important than how it looks on paper (it is more fun to get dirty than to be perfect).
Well said

buddhakitty
buddhakitty
Dangerous Mind
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 19

Understood, however, for some of us that is what really matters. No so much the X's and O's. It is my opinion a third button would clear things up and more individuals could be critiqued strictly on they find most important.  For myself, i really dont see myself entering competitions so i dont concern myself with attempting to be perfect.  All I focus on is the randomness of the moment.

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 951

Not X And O , but here I go !

Very well said , BuddhaKitty !

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2323

butters said: it doesn't

a good critique addresses those as strong points: if it can touch the reader, move them emotionally, make them THINK and FEEL then that connection is an important part of the crit.

there's a difference, though, between the emotional investment of the author and the emotional reaction of the reader... they don't always correlate

*sigh* i kinda wish more people knew what a good critique was. surely there's a thread here addressing that?

there is https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/groups/cafe-critique/discussion/

and you are a member

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
Joined 5th Nov 2014

Blackwolf said:Not X And O , but here I go !

Very well said , BuddhaKitty !

There are critters out there who see themselves as arbiters of what is good poetry or not. They are called critics. They tend to destroy poets, poems and a poet's willingness to write or publish.

a good critique should start with the emotional investment of the piece and the critter should be wary as the poet's voice and word is king. Critters can help with grammar or punctuation if needed or wanted. A critter should always concentrate on the positive. giving due praise. then the critter can make positive suggestions and changes. This should be done with respect to the poet and his wishes. A critter should not be precious. What I mean by that they shouldn't get all offended if the poet rejects the critter advice. They have every right to do that and should be made to feel safe to do that.

Despite critiquing others works, I feel that I am too close to my work that sometimes you miss typos and the like - I have had a few friends in the past here who gave me alerts, But the poet must ask.

I don't think critique should eve be hoisted on a poet. Critique can be offered or it can be asked for sensitivity is the watchword and all critiques should be done in a kind way.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

David_Macleod said:

there is https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/groups/cafe-critique/discussion/

and you are a member

i'm perfectly well aware of the forum; i've also visited there on several occasions and didn't find anything i'd recognise as an in-depth critique though there were the odd few helpful suggestions. perhaps it has improved since i last looked but it wasn't that active and i've found good, constructive critique here on the poetry platform from several people whose work and opinions i respect—critique that has helped me identify problems or had me rethink and reconfirm my own choices.

i joined the cafe critique on joining, expecting to see something there i didn't find. when not busy elsewhere, i'll look again. till then, i'll continue to offer/receive constructive critique where it's asked for (via button-option on posting by writers here) and that matches up with time to consider work/suggestions thoroughly in order to offer something beyond a glib response.

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
Joined 5th Nov 2014

butters said:
i'm perfectly well aware of the forum; i've also visited there on several occasions and didn't find anything i'd recognise as an in-depth critique though there were the odd few helpful suggestions. perhaps it has improved since i last looked but it wasn't that active and i've found good, constructive critique here on the poetry platform from several people whose work and opinions i respect—critique that has helped me identify problems or had me rethink and reconfirm my own choices.

i joined the cafe critique on joining, expecting to see something there i didn't find. when not busy elsewhere, i'll look again. till then, i'll continue to offer/receive constructive critique where it's asked for (via button-option on posting by writers here) and that matches up with time to consider work/suggestions thoroughly in order to offer something beyond a glib response.

I think you have to look at it through different eyes. Cafe Critique which originated as Poetry Medics has helped many poets.

You might be a member but you have been inactive since day one - maybe you could give us some of your wisdom rather than no contribution at all - all change comes from within.

I would expect all the excellent team members to be offended by your remarks and will report this post

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

David_Macleod said:

I think you have to look at it through different eyes. Cafe Critique which originated as Poetry Medics has helped many poets.

You might be a member but you have been inactive since day one - maybe you could give us some of your wisdom rather than no contribution at all - all change comes from within.

I would expect all the excellent team members to be offended by your remarks and will report this post
i gave my reasons, i don't feel the need to repeat myself, nor feel i HAVE to do anything you suggest since you have nothing of interest to say to me.

i will come look when I have time and I can be arsed; till then, i find all i need right here, including from poets who go to your "cafe".

of course you would. *yawn*

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
Joined 5th Nov 2014

Well Pardon Me for breathing

buddhakitty
buddhakitty
Dangerous Mind
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 19

Well...this is certainly a turn of events. Oh my!

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
17awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1644

Sometimes its difficult to politely and civilly express honest opinions around here - there's always someone in every crowd waiting for the opportunity to jump down your chimney and shit all over your kids in a feign of outrage.

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
Joined 5th Nov 2014

For once we are in agreement (feign of outrage.) there is a lot of it about

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
79awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 4076

JohnnyBlaze said:Sometimes its difficult to politely and civilly express honest opinions around here - there's always someone in every crowd waiting for the opportunity to jump down your chimney and shit all over your kids in a feign of outrage.

Agree. It's politics - those who like Trump ( or Obama or Bush )  will excuse his bad behavior while those who detest him will find something wrong with the good he may do.  Filters.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:

Agree. It's politics - those who like Trump ( or Obama or Bush )  will excuse his bad behavior while those who detest him will find something wrong with the good he may do.  Filters.
and some of us just can't even bear to see him on our screens, let alone listen to the inanities and lies he mouths... life's too short to squander it that way :)

Go to page:
Go to: