PeaceTreatyeceiP
PeaceTreatyeceiP
Strange Creature
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Nov 2019
Forum Posts: 5

Ahavati said:

Thus the "no comment", "friendly feedback" or "honest critique" option.  

Is grammer really being corrected in feedback option's?

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 854

PeaceTreatyeceiP said:
if a poem's posted with 'looking for honest critique' then, when that is offered, the author is being done a service. IF you post a poem where its styling presents as more unique, with the leeway for expansions of parameters regarding grammar, or if it's truly representative of a colloquial/cultural accent, then a good critter will notice that and crit accordingly.

for some, the edit button isn't enough—no matter how 'expert' they are considered. when our brains are programmed to expect to read certain words (the ones WE wrote), it's too easy to slip over typos and fresh eyes will often pick up on mistakes. IF a writer's ever considering submitting work to a writing site/e-zine or hardcopy publication, and not just self-publishing on DUP, errors can make all the difference in being accepted or not—which can be a bit of a big deal to those pursuing a writing hobby/career.

if i post a piece and ask for critique, i'll accept all and any. that's not to say i'll use it all, but i will certainly give it consideration and if nothing more it can serve to show me where i need greater clarity or avoid something in further writes. if i don't want any comments, i've a button option to use.
if i just want people to say positive things and point out any glaring errors in a less technical manner, there's a button for that. i don't see why some people think critique's a bad word that equates to criticism. it's a useful tool that addresses areas of strength and weakness and, hopefully, ways to improve on them AS the critter see it. not all critters will agree on those areas or suggestions. what they offer is a fresh set of eyes and someone taking the time to read you, think about your writing, and offer helpful advice as to improvements. FOR FREE!

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
79awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 4076

PeaceTreatyeceiP said:

Honest critique is honest critique - that includes grammar, yes.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:

Honest critique is honest critique - that includes grammar, yes.
just went and re-checked how those buttons are labeled... it doesn't help that the critique one's listed as 'honest criticism', a bit of a misnomer, really, furthering the misconception of critique as a bad thing!

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 951

My Grammar cursed at anyone who corrected her ,
in rather perfect English...

Must be in my blood line not to accept another's
poor critique of my personally seen perfected style...

I have no need whatsoever for other's critique ,
through their critical eyes , ( or brain programming )
of my work...never have , never will...

My thoughts are my thoughts , my way of saying them ,
or spelling them , is mine...no rights given , otherwise...

PeaceTreatyeceiP
PeaceTreatyeceiP
Strange Creature
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Nov 2019
Forum Posts: 5

butters said: if a poem's posted with 'looking for honest critique' then, when that is offered, the author is being done a service. IF you post a poem where its styling presents as more unique, with the leeway for expansions of parameters regarding grammar, or if it's truly representative of a colloquial/cultural accent, then a good critter will notice that and crit accordingly.

for some, the edit button isn't enough—no matter how 'expert' they are considered. when our brains are programmed to expect to read certain words (the ones WE wrote), it's too easy to slip over typos and fresh eyes will often pick up on mistakes. IF a writer's ever considering submitting work to a writing site/e-zine or hardcopy publication, and not just self-publishing on DUP, errors can make all the difference in being accepted or not—which can be a bit of a big deal to those pursuing a writing hobby/career.

if i post a piece and ask for critique, i'll accept all and any. that's not to say i'll use it all, but i will certainly give it consideration and if nothing more it can serve to show me where i need greater clarity or avoid something in further writes. if i don't want any comments, i've a button option to use.
if i just want people to say positive things and point out any glaring errors in a less technical manner, there's a button for that. i don't see why some people think critique's a bad word that equates to criticism. it's a useful tool that addresses areas of strength and weakness and, hopefully, ways to improve on them AS the critter see it. not all critters will agree on those areas or suggestions. what they offer is a fresh set of eyes and someone taking the time to read you, think about your writing, and offer helpful advice as to improvements. FOR FREE!

Thanks for the insight and good points,new to this so that was helpful.Im aware not everyone thinks like me lol in my world i would do all the reread and other eyes to proofread before i submit it for the world to see..i get it..negative/positive criticism comes with the territory wether its muted or not. An open mind allows for growth .i guess as far as grammer alone simply state boundaries if there are any.at least thats what i would do if needed.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Blackwolf said:My Grammar cursed at anyone who corrected her ,
in rather perfect English...

Must be in my blood line not to accept another's
poor critique of my personally seen perfected style...

I have no need whatsoever for other's critique ,
through their critical eyes , ( or brain programming )
of my work...never have , never will...

My thoughts are my thoughts , my way of saying them ,
or spelling them , is mine...no rights given , otherwise...
well that's not a problem, is it, if you select either the friendly feedback or no comment option? :D

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

PeaceTreatyeceiP said:
Thanks for the insight and good points,new to this so that was helpful.Im aware not everyone thinks like me lol in my world i would do all the reread and other eyes to proofread before i submit it for the world to see..i get it..negative/positive criticism comes with the territory wether its muted or not. An open mind allows for growth .i guess as far as grammer alone simply state boundaries if there are any.at least thats what i would do if needed.
you're most welcome

write on

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
Joined 31st Mar 2018

butters said:well that's not a problem, is it, if you select either the friendly feedback or no comment option? :D

And that is why I use the friendly feedback option...

By all means , give me friendly comment , if you choose , my friend...

snugglebuck
snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States
76awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1798

Blackwolf said:Some words are spelled differently , according to tradition , taste , time periods , etc...

No one has a right to touch my poetry , nor should anyone feel they have a right...

We all spell the way we do , and many times it is intentional in poetry , or writing in
general to spell words differently than generally thought "correct"...

If I wanted a fuckin' spelling robot , I would buy one...;)

"I totally understand why you wouldn't buy a fucking grammar robot.  I got one last Christmas and when I tried to fuck it, the damn thing short circuited and almost burnt my balls off.  Talk about chestnuts roasting over an open.  Worse, all the time I was screaming for help, the tin bitch kept correcting grammar!"

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
Joined 31st Mar 2018

Let alone a robot , whose mental code program is so faulty ,
it can not remember where it's whip is...

At least I know where mine is...

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2323

PeaceTreatyeceiP said:

There is an official group called Cafe Critique. We give positive advice and critique to poets at all levels and all tastes: All are welcome here

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/groups/cafe-critique/discussion/

you should check it out and see if its for you. If it's not then no harm done

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
Joined 31st Mar 2018

"you should check it out and see if its for you. If it's not then no harm done" David Macleod ;

And THAT is the mark of a great soul , good man , and wise watchman of DUP...

In my opinion , of course...;)

buddhakitty
buddhakitty
Dangerous Mind
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 19

There needs to another choice where the critique is based upon whether the poem has hit an emotional, psychological or spiritual target. Not merely formal mechanics or structure. For a few of us what we say is far more important than how it looks on paper (it is more fun to get dirty than to be perfect).

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
79awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 4076

buddhakitty said:There needs to another choice where the critique is based upon whether the poem has hit an emotional, psychological or spiritual target. Not merely formal mechanics or structure. For a few of us what we say is far more important than how it looks on paper (it is more fun to get dirty than to be perfect).

I didn't realize it didn't include that! I've never let it stop me from expressing whether one has or not.

Go to page:
Go to: