To Like or Not To Like (that may be question & a 1/2)

61.54% • 16 votes • Oblivious = Bliss (Equal opportunity Social)
30.77% • 8 votes • It would be helpful to know who has "Liked" a poem.
7.69% • 2 votes • It will have negative impact knowing who has "liked' a Poem.
Total votes: 26
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

To Like or Not To Like (that may be question & a 1/2)

Layla
Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Are you curious to know who has liked your work?
If yes.  How would that be helpful to you and your followers?
If the answer is No.  Why would your rather not know?

Share your thoughts on the subject?

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
89awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 7525

I selected Oblivious because I don't know if it will have a negative impact on DU - but I do think it could if people felt forced to "Like" something because their friends or other DU members would see if they didn't - and, well, D.R.A.M.A.  

Layla
Layla
Fire of Insight
Joined 3rd May 2018

Drama?!
well no one admits to it, but secretely people love it lol
It's like that seasoning salt that everyone says its got msg but then they sprinkle on their food anyway cause it does make the food taste better :)

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Layla said:Drama?!
well no one admits to it, but secretely people love it lol
It's like that seasoning salt that everyone says its got msg but then they sprinkle on their food anyway cause it does make the food taste better :)

It can certainly liven the mundane 'taste buds'  up.  But, overseasoning ruins the recipe and palette!  

It all reminds me of facebook! "Why did you unfollow me?!"

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

i cannot abide drama for drama's sake. i find it drains me of inspiration and is, ultimately, a time-sink for all involved - time that could be better used for reading/commenting/writing/growing. could just be me, since i've experienced enough drama in my life to last forever

i voted 'oblivious' - i'm just happy someone, somewhere, enjoyed what i had to offer

_boybrains
_boybrains
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
4awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th July 2017
Forum Posts: 358

I picked oblivious because I don’t believe we have to police everything here on DU, it also creates a mystery to the fellow poets and writers within this community so why
shatter it?

Layla
Layla
Fire of Insight
Joined 3rd May 2018

I'm not quite sure how knowing will add to drama, in all honesty.  
It was bit of a joke up there in this thread mentioning on drama but I don't see much of a difference in knowing who has commented on poems and who has liked.  I follow 60 people, and sometimes I comment, sometimes I don't, sometimes I RL sometimes I don't.  
Same with like or completely opting out from all mentioned when I'm absent from the site for some days or weeks and I return, I feel I'm out of the loop.

Mystery factor I can accept mentioned by _BoyBrains.

Jade-Pandora
Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States
153awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5127

butters said:i voted 'oblivious' - i'm just happy someone, somewhere, enjoyed what i had to offer

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^

poet Anonymous

Yes. Please don’t let people know who has liked their poems. LOL.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
30awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 1764

butters said:i

i voted 'oblivious' - i'm just happy someone, somewhere, enjoyed what i had to offer

ditto  

Umm
Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia
  profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 1789

To like!
I'd love to know who has liked & shown appriciation for my poems.

This sounds like an amazing idea for a paid feature ^-^

The drama thing doesn't really make much sense to me, I like poems because I want to show the author & poem a little love, if we avoided site features because they could potentially cause drama then we might as well get rid of the reading lists and the follow lists. Imo

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Layla said:I'm not quite sure how knowing will add to drama, in all honesty.  
It was bit of a joke up there in this thread mentioning on drama but I don't see much of a difference in knowing who has commented on poems and who has liked.  I follow 60 people, and sometimes I comment, sometimes I don't, sometimes I RL sometimes I don't.  
Same with like or completely opting out from all mentioned when I'm absent from the site for some days or weeks and I return, I feel I'm out of the loop.

Mystery factor I can accept mentioned by _BoyBrains.

I don't know how much plainer I can get aside from saying that many members might feel obligated to "Like" a poem if it was public whether they actually did or not because they would be afraid of reprisal if they didn't "Like" it.  I think anonymous keeps it more honest. But that's just me citing what I feel might happen or how it could potentially start drama. I don't know that for a fact ( which I've stated ), but there is a potential for it, e.g. - peer pressure and all that stuff.

Look, it doesn't matter to me one way or another. I am not one who would feel pressured into "Liking" anything because the poet would be able to see whether or not I had/n't.  I feel I pretty much know who does and doesn't as much as I know who has and has not commented on any of my posts.  

I just love that people are participating in the polls!

Layla
Layla
Fire of Insight
Joined 3rd May 2018

Ahavati said:

I don't know how much plainer I can get aside from saying that many members might feel obligated to "Like" a poem if it was public whether they actually did or not because they would be afraid of reprisal if they didn't "Like" it.  I think anonymous keeps it more honest. But that's just me citing what I feel might happen or how it could potentially start drama. I don't know that for a fact ( which I've stated ), but there is a potential for it, e.g. - peer pressure and all that stuff.

Look, it doesn't matter to me one way or another. I am not one who would feel pressured into "Liking" anything because the poet would be able to see whether or not I had/n't.  I feel I pretty much know who does and doesn't as much as I know who has and has not commented on any of my posts.  

I just love that people are participating in the polls!

Ok, yes, your explanation makes perfect sense as far as some may feel obligatory to show the host that they read/liked/acknowledged the poem.

And, most definitely it's enlightening to see the thoughts behind the votes.  I can see how most would rather keep it the way it is, oblivious but yet grateful that someone took the time to come to their page and 'like'.

cold_fusion
cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Australia
19awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 2330

I voted oblivious 'cause i believe this one is alright at the moment for the place.

Jade-Pandora
Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States
153awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5127

cold_fusion said:I voted oblivious 'cause i believe this one is alright at the moment for the place.

Amen.  

Go to page:
Go to: