would you like a -see edit history- option for the forums

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14455

personally, I think its a fantastic idea

but, that aside. Dear Lady of the web what do you think. I think there could be a number of pros to it. and I think it goes without saying, so I won't. haha

see. if there was an edit history option everybody could see what i'd written the first time. unless someone has already quoted in which case I ...I dunno 'cept it would be much neater and more inclusive

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

On the one hand such would thwart certain members from mischeviously revising their posts after said posts were replied to -and- other certain members from always returning to erase their posts as if they were bleaching a crime scene.

On the other hand, no one would be able to remove poetry posted directly to  the forum in the hopes of increasing their chances of it being published.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Noooooooo, because it would pique my curiosity and I would waste so much time of my precious life being curious on the forums, where as now , I can just be oblivious and move on.

poet Anonymous

WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING THIS?!

SOLD.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

now that would be fascinating :-)))))))))))

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5253

i reckon the author should hold the final say to choose to let it be seen or not.

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1158

Oh. People do that?? Huh.

Not really like a 'conversation' then, is it? Don't squeeze the toothpaste out of the tube if you're not prepared to own your toothpaste mess. Why is there even an option to edit forum posts?

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

lepperochan said:personally, I think its a fantastic idea

but, that aside. Dear Lady of the web what do you think. I think there could be a number of pros to it. and I think it goes without saying, so I won't. haha

see. if there was an edit history option everybody could see what i'd written the first time. unless someone has already quoted in which case I ...I dunno 'cept it would be much neater and more inclusive
on the forums, not the posted poems? hmmn

i, for one, only edit for a few reasons:

* typos/misspells (because they bug me)

* to remove a double/triple post if my mouse is feeling uber-sensitive

* to remove a quoted post belonging to another forum member who asks me to remove it as they've chosen to edit their own post but mine shows theirs/remove content if requested by a mod/admin if it broke site rules (though i'd imagine they'd do that anyway)

* to fix a broken link.

so far, on here, i've only had to use the edit option for the first 2 reasons.as to content? i own my words. i don't post in a hot mess and regret it but act as an adult and post what i want to say.

would i bother trawling back through others' posts to see if they've edited? no, there's not enough time in my day.

as things now stand, the system is open to abuse - where someone can post something completely out of order but then go clean up with an edit in hopes they've wiped their tracks before a mod sees it. i think with the ability to screenshot and report, though, not too many of those would escape notice. maybe i'm wrong.

so, yeah, i'm not really fussed either way i wouldn't use it, and if someone wanted to backtrack my own edits all they'll find are how often i type 'teh' instead of 'the' and other such nonsense so they're free and welcome to be bored to shit

edited several times because of my STUPID, touchy mouse!

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

I understand the entirely reasonable argument for people not being able to retract comments; enforcing a level of personal responsibility that is often lacking in the online world.

However, there are a few tricky issues around this in relation to privacy. Firstly, the ethics of not allowing people to rectify their mistakes (for example typos or rash comments they quickly retract before anyone sees them). It could fuel the drama! Secondly, there are potential legal ramifications related to GDPR and peoples ability to control and delete their data as they see fit.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

So, you see, in online forums of magazine articles, one method is to allow the poseter
a three minute time span to edit his comment, then it is locked.   also, if somebody replies to
his or her post, then, it is locked to preserve context  

The added feature  of seeing past edits, could be a feature of  a paid membership.
likewise, the feature of editing your comments and concealing past changes could also be a feature of supporter account.

Regarding  GDPR - (Brexit?)  

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

rabbitquest said:So, you see, in online forums of magazine articles, one method is to allow the poseter
a three minute time span to edit his comment, then it is locked.   also, if somebody replies to
his or her post, then, it is locked to preserve context

There are many different opinions on this. For example, many people are disgruntled at the fact that forum posts cannot be completely deleted (i.e. that the post stays as a place holder even if the content is edited out).  

rabbitquest said:
Regarding  GDPR - (Brexit?)  

Irrelevant. Websites have to comply with the laws of the land they are being accessed in. Hence why a number of US websites decided to make themselves unavailable to view within the EU.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14455

To be fair, I didn't really explain properly

what I meant was: folk can still edit ther stuff as usual, but the original posts pre edit would be available. Kinda like Facebook

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

lepperochan said:To be fair, I didn't really explain properly

what I meant was: folk can still edit ther stuff as usual, but the original posts pre edit would be available. Kinda like Facebook

It would just make it impossible to thoroughly cleanse poems pasted directly into the forum and possibly scare away potential publishers.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

Again, that is treating DUP as your backup girlfriend... Cheat on her, dump her the minute you think something fancy comes along
CHALLENGE: name even one author that scurried around deleting their 'poems' off of DUP to satisfy some publisher that ever made over $123 bucks.

The more the webmisstress looks after us, navigates all the legals, and provides us with a home, and who happily tends to all yours that ailed ye, and how do you repay her?
I'm for real though. That's write, you come wimpering back, after being scammed out of $275 dollars in publication fees, saying 'hey, i'm back, I'm home'

clewluss
SMOOKY
Thought Provoker
Joined 22nd Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 281

Rabbit,
as usual, you have gotten off the subject.

The back button should be available,
with the permission of the person making the revisions.

I believe that the majority of people would be delighted
if their readers could view their revisions/edits,  
especially for poems, so interested readers, could see layers
in a poem.

So lets take up a collecftion to fund the coding of this feature,
and the creation of a check-box where members permit the viewings of
their edits.
In fact, the poet can even use it as part of their art form,
crafting different layers of the evolution of a poem, for the readers,
or just let it happen naturally.

Go to page:
Go to: