Miss_Sub
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
94awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 26th June 2011
Forum Posts: 7932

David_Macleod said:working through every problem is not possible or desirable. I think that facebook for once has it right. If you are dealing with a sex pest, a predator or a constant bully then with one click they disappear from the site completely. People can be scared and intimidated not everyone has the stomach for dealing with some people, not everyone is as strong as the "Just deal with it brigade". all social media has folks from all walks of life, many lonely and broken people use it, they need a shield from this kind of attention. I think the blocking function is very necessary for some people - put yourself in their shoes - empathy anyone?

I have to say I agree with this. There are vulnerable people on the site. I have a long time harasser / stalker (who is still here by the way after 8 years... nowt was done, despite the fact I left the site for a year over this person and saved a lot of info ready for the police) who I would love to block from seeing my stuff. I have no wish to reconcile anything platonic between myself and an aggressive person that doesnít understand the meaning of no.

A lot of people donít realise the psychological effects that such interactions have. A few years ago I was being harassed and another person had me in tears on the train in public on the way back from my own Grandmotherís funeral. In all honesty, I resorted to self injury that evening.

For the record, nowt was done about that either.

I hate the internet because it gives this anonymous face to people, and people donít realise when they are spouting off a load of bravado and hurtful crap that there are real people on the end reading it all. They donít see how it effects people battling with their own stuff.

Itís like that old adage isnít it... where people say ďjust fkn get over itĒ.... ok well Iíll break your legs and tell you to just walk it off then shall I?

Denial doesnít solve anything.

Frustration, anger and sadness are all as valid parts of the human journey / experience as happiness, joy and airy-fairy goodness.

So yes. I am very much for an improved blocking service. If only to make dickheads aware that it is not OK to make somebody else feel like a burst bag of shite.

If you want us to move on, please give us the functionality to be able to do that and get rid of toxic people.

AspergerPoet56
AspergerPoet56
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 4th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 597

Miss_Sub said:

I have to say I agree with this. There are vulnerable people on the site. I have a long time harasser / stalker (who is still here by the way after 8 years... nowt was done, despite the fact I left the site for a year over this person and saved a lot of info ready for the police) who I would love to block from seeing my stuff. I have no wish to reconcile anything platonic between myself and an aggressive person that doesnít understand the meaning of no.

A lot of people donít realise the psychological effects that such interactions have. A few years ago I was being harassed and another person had me in tears on the train in public on the way back from my own Grandmotherís funeral. In all honesty, I resorted to self injury that evening.

For the record, nowt was done about that either.

I hate the internet because it gives this anonymous face to people, and people donít realise when they are spouting off a load of bravado and hurtful crap that there are real people on the end reading it all. They donít see how it effects people battling with their own stuff.

Itís like that old adage isnít it... where people say ďjust fkn get over itĒ.... ok well Iíll break your legs and tell you to just walk it off then shall I?

Denial doesnít solve anything.

Frustration, anger and sadness are all as valid parts of the human journey / experience as happiness, joy and airy-fairy goodness.

So yes. I am very much for an improved blocking service. If only to make dickheads aware that it is not OK to make somebody else feel like a burst bag of shite.

If you want us to move on, please give us the functionality to be able to do that and get rid of toxic people.

This is the reason I support blocking not all have the strength of character, there are some that would overthink this to literal death. A little dramatic some might saying but those havenít got a cognitive impairment or been through depression or suicide attempts, just assume because they can do it everyone else can do it. Believe it or not that is a form of bullying, where you are told or expected to follow. Nobody should be forced to take a path they donít want to therefore the option to block is the best way. Option being the word personal choice the practice  

Poetryman
Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States
29awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1500

How about sending anonymous notifications when someone blocks you. Maybe it would give the person a hint that they did something that created distress and they need to grow up...

I suppose ignorance is bliss, but why should the offender be happy. Grind the bastards heart to dust!

I'm just sayin'...

Magdalena
Magdalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales
56awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2569

I would like an apathy button that I can press sometimes. If I could remember who I have blocked, I would unblock them all.

admin
admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards   profile   ?

Magdalena said:I would like an apathy button that I can press sometimes. If I could remember who I have blocked, I would unblock them all.

Just added this, it should help... https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/blocked/du-poets/

Layla
Layla
Thought Provoker
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 121

admin said:
Just added this, it should help... https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/blocked/du-poets/

That's a great idea, but it's a list of the people that we have blocked.
Can we have a feature where we have access on who has blocked us?

Jade-Pandora
Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States
153awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 4610

admin said:

Thank you, Magdalena, for a great suggestion!

And thank you, Webmiss.

admin
admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards   profile   ?

Layla said:
Can we have a feature where we have access on who has blocked us?

You're not really meant to know who has blocked you as it could inflame matters.

Magdalena
Magdalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales
Joined 21st Apr 2012

admin said:

I thought it was an apathy button until I went there.   I didn't have many blocked and most I didn't even know who they were/are. Must have done it by accident.

Thank you

Magdalena
Magdalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales
Joined 21st Apr 2012

Jade-Pandora said:
Thank you, Magdalena, for a great suggestion!

And thank you, Webmiss.

Umm
Umm
Fire of Insight
Latvia
  profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 1440

Woot! This thread is already bringing about some awesome changes, ..agree with Jade, thank you! ^-^

So great that David started this discussion :]

Viddax
Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom
22awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6430

A problem with blocking that I see is that it can seem like trying to a wise monkey: deaf/blind/mute to the problem; out of sight does not mean out of mind. Thing is, if that person really wants to harass then they will find ways around the block, or even decide someone else is a more viable target. It is here where turning your back does not solve the problem, as it just means either every single person has to turn their back or some other blighter will get the unwanted attention. It is here that you kick up a fuss, make noise, rally the troops and create a united front: by making the Mods aware of the issue on DU. As for facebook and the general internet, just ignoring it does not mean it will go away, though the solution is probably difficult and not universal.

The 'la-la-la-not-listening' party is just as bad as the 'suck-it-up' party: each one goes for a quick fix or removal of the problem, but they actually only make the symptoms go away. Plus neither use words or conversation to any effect: just a quick fix and lazy actions. The internet may well be a dark depraved place, but it can also be a place where you can speak to people you would otherwise never get to meet and speak with.

Miss_Sub
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
94awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 26th June 2011
Forum Posts: 7932

The issue wonít go away, no, but itíll make the issue 90% quieter. Iíll take that over the constant heinous wittering Iím currently enduring any day of the week.

If anything, itís creating my own peace.

Donít get me wrong, Iíve made a great amount of friends for life on the internet. The internet also gifted me my Husband. I have however also met a tremendous amount of faceless, limp-wristed wank shepherds.

And to quote a popular internet meme, ainít nobody got time fo dat.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
18awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 904

admin said:

You're not really meant to know who has blocked you as it could inflame matters.

concur

rabbitquest
rabbitquest
AL Dente
Dangerous Mind
Eritrea
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 1645

Blocking is a natural reaction when an online relationship goes South.(as in South Dakota)

That is why it is important to watch what you say. For example, when my 247 lb wife asks me "I feel chubby, honey do I look chubby?" Believe you me, my answer is ALWAYS "Honey I, I love every inch of you.
But no, yes, no, people have instinctual urges to stalk. Quite a number of marriages have resulted from a person seen as a compleat jerk, who persisted until his quarry relented. Just chalk it up toinstinctual urges, that have brought us here to be in existence today.  No this "virtual" environment we devote ourselves today is a brave New world, and how many of us, what porpoise does this website fulfil for us?  Some of us become, at different times, the abuser, and the abused. In a world where we can sculpt only to include our same-thinking idolizers, we may find ourselves blocking fastly and furious

Go to page:
Go to: