Go to page:

Blocking

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
38awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 1948


I wonder about the action of blocking another member. I would prefer a system like Facebook that excludes you from seeing anything written or contributed by those blocked. The cant message you but they can still write about you or make comments about you in public threads. The advice would be don't read them, but the temptation might be too much or you may well see them is passing on public forums and groups.

do you think the block command should block the person totally in that you can't see anything they have written? This question is also to the Webmiss asking if it would be desireable and possible

AspergerPoet56
AspergerPoet56
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 4th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 597

Canít see why it canít work here, maybe if for instance it can also help weed out the trouble makers, if several people block the same person it can be highlighted there, they can be banned from site

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
38awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 1948

good Idea! :-)))

Layla
Layla
Thought Provoker
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 121

Blocked by Poets

Two poets blocked me in the last few weeks
Poet Wars
I've been here since 2013
Never been blocked before
Usually I'm the one doing the blocking
What goes around, comes around
I wasn't surprised by Shadow
We had tangled before
Our DNA didn't mix
Sweet was another story
I thought we were ok neighbors
It makes one think though
I was irritated at first
Now I don't care
There's plenty of poets here
Opening my eyes to new voices
Maybe we'll do better
Onward ....
Written by PoetSpeak
Go To Page  
AspergerPoet56 said:Canít see why it canít work here, maybe if for instance it can also help weed out the trouble makers, if several people block the same person it can be highlighted there, they can be banned from site


Not so fast!!
Some are blocked not because they are troublemakers but because the blockers themselves have some kind of psychological or personal issues themselves.
Read the comments under this link and you will see an example of that.


I'm blocked by 2 people that I know of, whom I've never messaged, bothered/harassed/bullied or even fluttered a leaf in their space so once I gain 3 more 'fans' will I be thrown out of this site according to suggested solution??

AspergerPoet56
AspergerPoet56
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 4th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 597

Blocked by Poets

Two poets blocked me in the last few weeks
Poet Wars
I've been here since 2013
Never been blocked before
Usually I'm the one doing the blocking
What goes around, comes around
I wasn't surprised by Shadow
We had tangled before
Our DNA didn't mix
Sweet was another story
I thought we were ok neighbors
It makes one think though
I was irritated at first
Now I don't care
There's plenty of poets here
Opening my eyes to new voices
Maybe we'll do better
Onward ....
Written by PoetSpeak
Go To Page  
Layla said:


Not so fast!!
Some are blocked not because they are troublemakers but because the blockers themselves have some kind of psychological or personal issues themselves.
Read the comments under this link and you will see an example of that.


I'm blocked by 2 people that I know of, whom I've never messaged, bothered/harassed/bullied or even fluttered a leaf in their space so once I gain 3 more 'fans' will I be thrown out of this site according to suggested solution??


Being a discussion I put my idea across now you have shown the kink in it. So maybe not a good idea after all

admin
admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards   profile   ?

Improving the current blocking functionality is something I'd definitely like to gather feedback on. The system can certainly hide content from those you're blocking if that would be beneficial to people. The only downside I can think of is that there may be forum threads, group discussions or poem comment replies which don't quite make sense due to the gaps of hidden content. There's also the matter of public voting in competitions, I don't think it would be appropriate to hide entries in that situation. There maybe other edge cases that I haven't thought of, which need to be considered when implementing such a feature.

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
38awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 1948

Blocked by Poets

Two poets blocked me in the last few weeks
Poet Wars
I've been here since 2013
Never been blocked before
Usually I'm the one doing the blocking
What goes around, comes around
I wasn't surprised by Shadow
We had tangled before
Our DNA didn't mix
Sweet was another story
I thought we were ok neighbors
It makes one think though
I was irritated at first
Now I don't care
There's plenty of poets here
Opening my eyes to new voices
Maybe we'll do better
Onward ....
Written by PoetSpeak
Go To Page  
Layla said:


Not so fast!!
Some are blocked not because they are troublemakers but because the blockers themselves have some kind of psychological or personal issues themselves.
Read the comments under this link and you will see an example of that.


I'm blocked by 2 people that I know of, whom I've never messaged, bothered/harassed/bullied or even fluttered a leaf in their space so once I gain 3 more 'fans' will I be thrown out of this site according to suggested solution??


but shouldn't individuals have the right to block anyone for any reason? They do on facebook! I have a few people blocked on facebook, for their views, comments and even for personal reasons. You cannot see any of their stuff and if you block then you can't see any of their stuff. I think that if it is possible those rights should be given to DU members as well.

admin
admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards   profile   ?

I guess the question is, what would people want to see instead of a blocked comment or post.

- Nothing, so you never know it's there. The downside is potentially seeing things that don't make sense, or missing part of what's going on in a discussion. The advantage is no temptation to unblock to see what's written!

-  A placeholder of some kind so you know there's some blocked content there in the "gap". Also, would you want to know who wrote the content there, even if you don't see the content itself?

I'm talking about group conversations specifically so forums, groups etc. We already have poem comments and private messages covered.

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
38awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 1948

here's an example; let's say I am a Christian (perish the thought) and I want to block those who write anti-Christan writers
what if I find I  want to block a writer who writes erotica or extreme content?
what if I want to block a writer I find disagreeable?
what if I want to block a writer who uses foul language often?
what if I want to block a writer who's photo icons I find objectionable
what if I want to block a writer on a whim?

I have been blocked by a few people. I now couldn't care less. I no longer want any interaction

Layla
Layla
Thought Provoker
5awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 121

David_Macleod said:

but shouldn't individuals have the right to block anyone for any reason? They do on facebook! I have a few people blocked on facebook, for their views, comments and even for personal reasons. You cannot see any of their stuff and if you block then you can't see any of their stuff. I think that if it is possible those rights should be given to DU members as well.


Everyone has that prerogative, block whomever you like but my initial post was an objection to AP56's suggestion that after number of blocks on a person perhaps they should be banned and you agreeing to that suggestion.  
I showed an example with that link how some out there who are blocked have done nothing in most situations.
Let me give you another example, there's an older gentleman on here who's way of unfollowing someone is blocking, and he used to do that because he didn't understand the feature all that well, god knows how many people he has blocked by the sheer fact that he doesn't want to follow them nor see their content.  None of those poets have bullied/harassed or isulted him, he just blocks them because he thinks that's the only way to unfollow someone.
So again, i will clarify as my original statement on this thread that i don't have any objection of anyone blocking anyone but I do have a huge problem when suggested that people may be banned from the site based on number of flagged blocks on their account because they may very well be innocent of all the prejudice.

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
38awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 1948

Layla said:

Everyone has that prerogative, block whomever you like but my initial post was an objection to AP56's suggestion that after number of blocks on a person perhaps they should be banned and you agreeing to that suggestion.  
I showed an example with that link how some out there who are blocked have done nothing in most situations.
Let me give you another example, there's an older gentleman on here who's way of unfollowing someone is blocking, and he used to do that because he didn't understand the feature all that well, god knows how many people he has blocked by the sheer fact that he doesn't want to follow them nor see their content.  None of those poets have bullied/harassed or isulted him, he just blocks them because he thinks that's the only way to unfollow someone.
So again, i will clarify as my original statement on this thread that i don't have any objection of anyone blocking anyone but I do have a huge problem when suggested that people may be banned from the site based on number of flagged blocks on their account because they may very well be innocent of all the prejudice.


I am sorry I misread Asperger's I would not be in favor of bans being dolled out to blocked people, Not at all.

Jade-Pandora
Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States
153awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 4610

Layla said:

Everyone has that prerogative, block whomever you like but my initial post was an objection to AP56's suggestion...

Let me give you another example, there's an older gentleman on here who's way of unfollowing someone is blocking, and he used to do that because he didn't understand the feature all that well, god knows how many people he has blocked by the sheer fact that he doesn't want to follow them nor see their content.  None of those poets have bullied/harassed or isulted him, he just blocks them because he thinks that's the only way to unfollow someone.
So again, i will clarify as my original statement on this thread that i don't have any objection of anyone blocking anyone but I do have a huge problem when suggested that people may be banned from the site based on number of flagged blocks on their account because they may very well be innocent of all the prejudice.


Thank you, Layla for reiterating your original point.  Because I am one of those, who the older gent you mention, who has blocked me - twice - and I love reading him.  I think, in both cases, he meant to unfollow me because each time I was writing more erotica than usual ( I go through phases).  If that were the case, I could still comment and RL his work.  But being blocked, Iím prevented from honoring him with what I enjoy reading of his.

I wish I could communicate that to him.

Jade

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
38awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 1948

Jade-Pandora said:Thank you, Layla for reiterating you original point.  Because I am one of those, who the older gent you mention, who has blocked me - twice - and I love reading him.  I think, in both cases, he meant to unfollow me because each time I was writing more erotica than usual ( I go through phases).  If that were the case, I could still comment and RL his work.  But being blocked, Iím prevented from honoring him with what I enjoy doing.  

I wish I could communicate that to him.

Jade


that's a good point - this really needs to be explained the difference between the unfollow function and the block function, I can see that to be an issue

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
38awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 1948

Maybe one of the modes could message him letting him know the difference?

Jade-Pandora
Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States
153awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 4610

David_Macleod said:Maybe one of the mods could message him letting him know the difference?

Thank you, yes, thatís a lovely idea.  Itís just the one gent, and if the difference is explained, Iíd hope it would make a difference because I could never guarantee erotica of mine would stop crossing his wake, but I could still read him as the mood strikes, if he simply unfollows me.🙏🏻

Go to page:
Go to: