Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

I was thinking maybe
for the comps where
not enough people have voted
or the comp was sooooooo popular too many  poems for voters to read
that we implement the

Voting Poll

similar to what someone has done earlier this year.

Just a suggestion in general -- haven't thought of the specifics or if this is doable.

I was thinking that in lieu of the poets' name in the poll, You put the title of the spill

Any thoughts on this?  Admin?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14271

LOL!  I had no idea we'd start something with that poll!  But sometimes ya gotta do something different to make it work.

I think it's a great idea, Tallen.  Might need a bit of modification, but a great idea. It's better than the back-lag we've been experiencing.   Another great one would be that the comp hosts actually host and select a winner - unless it's a site-wide comp such as poem of the month, etc.  If they don't want to do it alone then employ a panel of judges.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati
it's this comp when it first finished and lots and lots of people participated and thousands of views
and i was thinking this one would be taking foooooooooooorever and i thought the poll thingy would be perfect for a comp like this.

The Panel of Judges
idea is a good one, as well  

Or maybe have Judges (those who volunteer to be permanent judges [with term limits?] )
and a Host can call on them for their comp?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tallen said:Ahavati
it's this comp when it first finished and lots and lots of people participated and thousands of views
and i was thinking this one would be taking foooooooooooorever and i thought the poll thingy would be perfect for a comp like this.

The Panel of Judges
idea is a good one, as well  

I know which one you're referring to - and I believe the host announced beforehand he wanted to participate as well, so was going to make it a public vote.

There are some members here who constantly hold competitions but never select a winner.  They enjoy the positive aspect of hosting, but not the actual work of hosting, as in selecting a winner.  It would be nice if more assumed that responsibility.  It will only help them grow as poets.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati said:

There are some members here who constantly hold competitions but never select a winner.  They enjoy the positive aspect of hosting, but not the actual work of hosting, as in selecting a winner.  It would be nice if more assumed that responsibility.  It will only help them grow as poets.

I've only hosted one comp and put it to public vote because i thought that is the norm here.

I was super shocked when a Host announced i'd won a comp and she was the only judge.

I know i can speak for many newbies to DUP
when i say i had no idea that a responsibility of a Host is to Judge, as well, and i would have in that comp i Hosted had i knew.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tallen said:

I've only hosted one comp and put it to public vote because i thought that is the norm here.

I was super shocked when a Host announced i'd won a comp and she was the only judge.

I know i can speak for many newbies to DUP
when i say i had no idea that a responsibility of of Host is to Judge, as well, and i would have in that comp i Hosted had i knew.

Selecting your own winner contributes to your growth as a poet in so many ways: firstly, it holds you accountable to read each entry thoroughly vs just leaving it up to the public ( and we always learn something from reading another's work ); secondly, it demonstrates just how difficult it is for hosts when they do select winners, especially out of so many great entries that you, as a writer, know they put their best into; thirdly, you gain experience which contributes to your own participation in competitions,  appreciating in more depth the responsibility of the host/ess, and therefore understand more aptly that not everyone can win.

The latter is probably something we all know innately; however, actually being in that position to choose a winner ( or assist if you opt for a panel of judges ) allows you to experience it first hand, and perhaps take it much more seriously then simply allowing a public vote.

Though I certainly understand the nervousness associated with being new, at least until you get your feet wet.  I think it was two years before I held a comp.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

It might be slightly off-topic but I think all competitions should be by public vote with those who voted being automatically listed. We should all be encouraging others to vote :-)))

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

Public vote is a nice idea in theory. fact is there's not much appetite among members to vote in competition s they haven't participated in.

Voting was initially implemented to deal with abandoned competitions.

I believe hosts should take responsibility for their comps and pick winners.

that said I understand the thinking behind putting a comp up for vote (if not done out of laziness) but like I say, there's no appetite for it

hence the begging threads every now n then

picking a winner is hard for many reasons. I think one way to dispose of some of those reasons is to have comp threads automatically make entries annon to both the public and the host  

I also think anyone who abandons a comp should lose the right to host a comp again for a lengthy length of time

you're welcome 😊

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

lepperochan said:Public vote is a nice idea in theory. fact is there's not much appetite among members to vote in competition s they haven't participated in.

Truth.  I don't feel I have the right to decide a winner in a comp I didn't participate in.  Seems controlling, or something.  Always felt the participants should decide.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

lepperochan said:
picking a winner is hard for many reasons. I think one way to dispose of some of those reasons is to have comp threads automatically make entries annon to both the public and the host  

That is an excellent idea

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

lepperochan said:
Picking a winner is hard for many reasons.

One of which is choosing between friends.

Another is justifying your choice of winner if your decision making process is publicly challenged.

Public voting absolves one of these predicaments.

It's the easy way out for some who want to be front and center.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati said:

Truth.  I don't feel I have the right to decide a winner in a comp I didn't participate in.  Seems controlling, or something.  Always felt the participants should decide.

I've always felt the opposite --
If i didn't participate in the comp then i felt i could OBJECTIVELY judge the entries

Also, i think many Hosts don't want to judge because they don't want others to think they voted for their Friends and thus are being objective by putting said comp up for public vote

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

A public vote is a far easier way to try and keep competitions as honest as possible rather than only giving friends pat on the back awards without merit.  Not sure how you square the circle getting people to vote. But voting should be the right of every member. Only participant voting excludes members who mainly read, members who didn't have time to enter etc, etc, etc. I would like to see that practice stopped. They should be open to all to participate AND to vote

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Tallen said:
Also, i think many Hosts don't want to judge because they don't want others to think they voted for their Friends and thus are being objective by putting said comp up for public vote

Unfortunately being overly concerned with one's self image can result in public voting.

And likewise being overly concerned with the perceived images of others rather than the poetry itself results in skewed public votes.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Unfortunately being overly concerned with one's self image can result in public voting.

And likewise being overly concerned with the perceived images of others rather than the poetry itself results in skewed public votes.

Yep. Yep.

Go to page:
Go to: