Go to page:

The Next Level

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
13awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1364

It would be nice to have a feature in our profiles that tells us what we need to achieve the next level of membership - how many forum posts, poem comments, trophies won, comps run, etc.

For example, I would particularly like to know how many comments I need in order to earn a Reading List. Seems like lately it takes a dozen comments in exchange for an RL.  I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering, When am I ever going to be able to RL that poem!

rabbitquest
rabbitquest
AL Dente
Dangerous Mind
Eritrea
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 1645



so I thought i worked on the thirteenth level
only to take the stairs one day, to discover it was twenty four.

but on the way down I met.....La Wandaaaaaaah


Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
18awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 918

I only made it to 2nd degree (red sash -- we didn't go by the belt system)  in my martial arts dojo in Chinatown, SF, CA, because I didn't want to register my hands and feet with the SFPD and in those days most of the dojos had an agreement with the SFPD that when it came time for us to train with weapons we'd trot on down to volunteer to register.

I suppose that caused me to not care too much when it came to leveling up in the stuff
life is made up of.

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 821

I am a full believer in writing to write and not caring about awards , or trophies...

Yet if the knowledge makes someone happy I hope they get what they want...let it be so , but can it be optional knowledge ?

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
73awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3038

Blackwolf said:I am a full believer in writing to write and not caring about awards , or trophies...

Which is exactly why you enter competitions.

Yet if the knowledge makes someone happy I hope they get what they want...let it be so , but can it be optional knowledge ?

"An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge."


JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
13awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1364

If I need to win awards in order to earn an RL, I want to know how many!

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 821

No , I enter the competitions I do Ahavati because I really care about the subject , not the award...

I don't enter your or Johnny's comps , because frankly I don't care about the subject matter or comp...

Just being honest , not interested to insult...

Blackwolf
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 821

And frankly , I care little for what others you may quote say , unless it agrees with what I know in my heart is right

rabbitquest
rabbitquest
AL Dente
Dangerous Mind
Eritrea
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 1645

I am not quite sure of your question.
I thought I got a reading list point if somebody else added my poem to their reading list?

So you are saying you get  a RL point by getting  a certain number of plain # of reads?

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
13awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1364

rabbitquest said:I am not quite sure of your question.
I thought I got a reading list point if somebody else added my poem to their reading list?

So you are saying you get  a RL point by getting  a certain number of plain # of reads?


My question is a suggestion, which is to make it visible in a profile exactly what I need to earn my next RL, achieve the next level and whatever else would motivate me to participate more in DUP to my own advantage.

I was under the impression that making 3 comments on other poems earned an opportunity to RL 1 poem. But I must be mistaken if it is taking me around 12 comments lately.


Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
18awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 918

JohnnyBlaze said:

My question is a suggestion, which is to make it visible in a profile exactly what I need to earn my next RL, achieve the next level and whatever else would motivate me to participate more in DUP to my own advantage.

I was under the impression that making 3 comments on other poems earned an opportunity to RL 1 poem. But I must be mistaken if it is taking me around 12 comments lately.



I had NO idea that the RL was an earned gig.
I guess I just took it for granted as I have been adding with ease.  Maybe because I am super active that I didn't notice that there are restrictions.    

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
13awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1364

Tallen said:

I had NO idea that the RL was an earned gig.
I guess I just took it for granted as I have been adding with ease.  Maybe because I am super active that I didn't notice that there are restrictions.    


Some people are very active here with comments. My time is limited because of performing extensive critiques that can take hours per poem. And when I can here, I prefer to say something more than just a pat on the back.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
64awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 12778

It may be entirely possible to buy ten reading list spaces for 25 dollah elsewhere, don't see why it couldn't apply in this case(s)

I mean, its one thing having a poem reading listed. nice, yeah, but an entirely different kettle of fishies if someone is willing to pay hard currency to list it

kickback % to the poet would be fantastic. I for one would be fkn rolling in it

but more than that, and in a slightly less seriousness, I like the surprise aspect of not knowing



JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
13awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1364

lepperochan said:It may be entirely possible to buy ten reading list spaces for 25 dollah elsewhere, don't see why it couldn't apply in this case(s)

I mean, its one thing having a poem reading listed. nice, yeah, but an entirely different kettle of fishies if someone is willing to pay hard currency to list it

kickback % to the poet would be fantastic. I for one would be fkn rolling in it

but more than that, and in a slightly less seriousness, I like the surprise aspect of not knowing




I'd like to know given something doesn't seem right with the algorithm used in determining how many RLs one earns. At least in regards to my account.

admin
admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards   profile   ?

JohnnyBlaze said:It would be nice to have a feature in our profiles that tells us what we need to achieve the next level of membership - how many forum posts, poem comments, trophies won, comps run, etc.

For example, I would particularly like to know how many comments I need in order to earn a Reading List. Seems like lately it takes a dozen comments in exchange for an RL.  I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering, When am I ever going to be able to RL that poem!


Thanks for your suggestion. I can understand your frustration on this and I will have a think if there's a way to communicate when the next slot opens.

The issue with this is two-fold, firstly the algorithm is not straight forward and takes into account a number of variables. Secondly, I've always been concerned about the possibility of people creating short "junk comments" just to hit targets.

Meanwhile, I just released an update to be a bit more generous with the allowances. I will continue to monitor and tweak this. I'm trying to strike a balance between keeping the reading list exclusive, so people have to put consideration into their choices, while also allowing people enough flexibility to regularly add new content.

Go to page:
Go to: