Page:

tag people to join conversation threads or view a poem

yelluw_always
Haley Quaquaversal
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 24th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 141

Sometimes I want to share a poem/conversation thread with a friend from my list and would like to tag them in my replies in the form of @____
I don't know if that would become convoluted or is beyond the scope of the site.

Rather than copying and pasting an URL, this feature would allow us becomes a more fluid, conversational/communicative community, inviting others along.

Maybe writers just want privacy? But I think if you are here, there is an intent to connect our nodes.

Maybe because I am new here, I have not seen the best way of sharing. This site is great in how basic it is, it might be overdone if this feature were to appear.

Any thoughts? Perspectives? Not stuck in stone here. :-)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

Great idea.  I have always loved that option at  alternate social networking sites such as fb, Instagram, and twitter.  Don't know how difficult it would be to implement here.  

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

some years back I joined Writers cafe to leave comments for a person who kept stealing poems from here. from time to time I posted stuff but haven't been back in about 4 years

before I left I got a ton of those tag things asking me to "read and comment on my new poem" (or words to that effect)

to be quite honest I didn't like it at all. it seemed needy and there was no end to them.

I understand the want to share stuff. but in all honesty :

"this feature would allow us becomes a more fluid, conversational/communicative community, inviting others along"

no it wouldn't. if you played it right you might get more reads and notice but I don't see how it would benefit "the community"  as much as you think

I think it would be a most annoying feature (unless individuals can block tags)

all that said, it's just my opinion. though i feel it would be annoying I'm not vehemently against it

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

lepperochan said:

before I left I got a ton of those tag things asking me to "read and comment on my new poem" (or words to that effect)

to be quite honest I didn't like it at all. it seemed needy and there was no end to them.

I'm right with you on that one - I was a member of a site where members thought it kosher to advertise/self-promote  themselves via my page.  

Not cool.  

What I do enjoy are @ articles, funny photos, memories ( LOVE the memory aspect of fb ), and general banter sans the aforementioned promotion.

Sometimes I don't receive notifications from comment responses here.  I had one member thought I was ignoring them, when I simply hadn't seen the notification.  

yelluw_always
Haley Quaquaversal
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 24th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 141

lepperochan said:
I think it would be a most annoying feature (unless individuals can block tags)

all that said, it's just my opinion. though i feel it would be annoying I'm not vehemently against it

yeah, I was thinking more of in reply/comment section, and telling a friend to have a look or include in convo thread. more than someone going to others and promoting their own work (bleh). i had the idea because have a group on Line messenger. in our notes we have several threads going that allow for @username to help someone follow if something jumps over to a different branch. functional necessity there.

For example I am replying to you but also would like to tag Ahavati, because she will miss this unless she chose to "Subscribe to Thread".

i suppose if something ain't broke, don't pile on?
but you're right, people often misuse the intention of things and it could easily go bad/be annoying. everything new has a blank social construct yet to be set up on. becomes a sort of a wild west sort of situation when introducing new concept/feature before a social consciousness takes over and veers it in some sort of direction with unspoken rules/courtesy.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

An interesting idea, which would need a good deal of thought before implementation, owing to the concerns raised. It would definitely have to limited to people who have chosen to follow you (and can therefore unfollow you if they wish). Something for the future perhaps.

Page:
Go to: