Go to page:

Is a competition awards review due

BargainBinPoet
Bargain Bin Poet
Lost Thinker
Joined 3rd Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 7

Is there a "Most likely to end up writing obituaries", award...or "Most likely to end up as an Ikea Instruction Manual Copy Editor" award?
Coz that'd be a youtube moment for me  #joygasm

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

Update: this has been moved to the suggestion thread as the tone is overall a suggestion, a suggestion that would improve the site it seems, and also because I only just realised as a Mod I had the power to do that!
Discussion on the topic is still allowed and encouraged, though the tone now moves from 'should there be a change' to 'how should that change be'. Anyone posting something along the lines of 'this is such a good  idea' just helps highlight the support behind the idea.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 903

Thank you for doing this Viddax!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14269

Viddax said:Update: this has been moved to the suggestion thread as the tone is overall a suggestion, a suggestion that would improve the site it seems, and also because I only just realised as a Mod I had the power to do that!
Discussion on the topic is still allowed and encouraged, though the tone now moves from 'should there be a change' to 'how should that change be'. Anyone posting something along the lines of 'this is such a good  idea' just helps highlight the support behind the idea.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

i talked to my neurologist today
he said my trophy count is unusually low
and is prescribimg something

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14269

rabbitquest said:i talked to my neurologist today
he said my trophy count is unusually low
and is prescribimg something

Poetry, I assume.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

I'm speaking on this from the perspective of a writing member, not a Mod per se ...

For every member on DU that might say, "Yes" ... let's expand our levels of recognition in the competitions, there are any number who would say, "No".  "No" because the site is supposed to be dedicated to writing, not collecting shiny things.

Personally, I use the competitions as a springboard for writing ideas, and my most interesting pieces have grown out from those competitions where I've challenged myself to step out of my comfort zone.  I've written pieces from the perspective[s] of gay men, lesbians, veterans of war, professional athletes etc. ... Stepping outside of my known self to write something I might not otherwise was reward enough.  The DU " trophies" I have,  don't pay my rent, car note or buy me weed.

My greatest rewards comes in the times when I've been able to take a piece I'm especially happy with, and see it published elsewhere through the selection of an editor; and again the money I've been paid as a poet doesn't pay my rent, car note, or weed guy.  In fact on any given day, I collect more money returning recyclable beer bottles and cans than I make from writing.  

Enjoy the process for what it is, use the contests as a vehicle to hone your skills among some very talented people ...

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Changing the runner-ups to something that can actually be tracked by the writer is not exactly expansion.

Also, "Don't try to get trophies. Ignore my 109 trophies."

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

Ahavati said:

Poetry, I assume.

Prescription strength poetry gummies

slipalong
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 41awards
Joined 1st Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 822

thank you for the update

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

SatInUGal said:Changing the runner-ups to something that can actually be tracked by the writer is not exactly expansion.

Also, "Don't try to get trophies. Ignore my 109 trophies."

Yes, I get it ... it's hard to fathom that the guy with over a hundred virtual trophies says they're not important ...they're not.

For me, they just mean a few hundred times I challenged myself to step out of my skin to write something totally outside of my realm from a different perspective, and it was acknowledged by the competition host, competition panel, or voters. [Period]

... as said, those 109 trophies aren't helping me grade students' papers right now at 5 A.M, they're not gonna pay for the groceries I'll buy this morning, nor did they pay for the 420 I'll smoke tonight, or pay my graduate tuition next month.

At some point, like some here have, I hope I have the balls to get my work published.  Truth be told 80 - 90% of my trophy writes won't be included because they're not what I truly want to write ... they were great exercises in writing, but not publishable pieces for me.

Point in case, I've won two trophies for dark pieces in comps sponsored by a supremely talented Dark writer here.  I even watched a few slasher movies (which is not my thing) to get a feel for one particular comp.  

While I don't see myself including those writes I've done for dark contests in a book, I learned a lot about process and research, and perspective ...

that's my point. Use the contest to learn and grow.

In my life, I've met professional athletes who are so broke they had to sell or pawn their championship rings or trophies, just to pay rent, buy groceries, and drugs ...

Guess that's why, my weed guy didn't want my 109, he wanted cash

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

LobodeSanPedro said:I'm speaking on this from the perspective of a writing member, not a Mod per se ...

For every member on DU that might say, "Yes" ... let's expand our levels of recognition in the competitions, there are any number who would say, "No".  "No" because the site is supposed to be dedicated to writing, not collecting shiny things.

Personally, I use the competitions as a springboard for writing ideas, and my most interesting pieces have grown out from those competitions where I've challenged myself to step out of my comfort zone.  I've written pieces from the perspective[s] of gay men, lesbians, veterans of war, professional athletes etc. ... Stepping outside of my known self to write something I might not otherwise was reward enough.  The DU " trophies" I have,  don't pay my rent, car note or buy me weed.

My greatest rewards comes in the times when I've been able to take a piece I'm especially happy with, and see it published elsewhere through the selection of an editor; and again the money I've been paid as a poet doesn't pay my rent, car note, or weed guy.  In fact on any given day, I collect more money returning recyclable beer bottles and cans than I make from writing.  

Enjoy the process for what it is, use the contests as a vehicle to hone your skills among some very talented people ...

my experiance is more or less the same. though I will say, when trophies came in some years ago i competed, collected etc. for me it was part of the overall buzz and i think it enlarged my appetite for the knowledge present and aided understanding of different things

I'd venture to say, if trophies are a driving force. by all means let them drive. It may not be poetry 101. might be an important phase though

that said. I dunno about runner up ribbons. all i wanted was gold  

slipalong
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 41awards
Joined 1st Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 822

no drugs test for the poet or the poetess the ivory towers of first place trophy`s astounds but to give one back is just right out of bounds

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

It may be a nice idea for there to even be a thing, not necessarily a medal, but a list on a member's profile of the competitions they have entered. Serving to be a show of attendance and sign that not every competition they enter is one they win or even the reverse. Just another way to keep track of what you've done on DU in an archival way, rather than a smug or dystopian invasive way.
Of course, if someone simply enters a competition with a bare minimum or through multiple profile shenanigans to give each profile a boost to the list, they can be revoked and removed.

Note that this is an idea in addition to the 'Gold, Silver, Bronze' idea/suggestion.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Viddax said:It may be a nice idea for there to even be a thing, not necessarily a medal, but a list on a member's profile of the competitions they have entered. Serving to be a show of attendance and sign that not every competition they enter is one they win or even the reverse. Just another way to keep track of what you've done on DU in an archival way, rather than a smug or dystopian invasive way.
Of course, if someone simply enters a competition with a bare minimum or through multiple profile shenanigans to give each profile a boost to the list, they can be revoked and removed.

Note that this is an idea in addition to the 'Gold, Silver, Bronze' idea/suggestion.

Yes- I am supportive of at doing at least one of these options.

Go to page:
Go to: