Go to page:

Is a competition awards review due

slipalong
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 41awards
Joined 1st Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 822

I think that competitions should have THREE awards  ie  GOLD, SILVER & BRONZE  as the writing base increases this would give novice writers more opportunity to get a foot on the awards ladder

Or competitions for novices only with their own category to build up points

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

slipalong said:I think that competitions should have THREE awards  ie  GOLD, SILVER & BRONZE  as the writing base increases this would give novice writers more opportunity to get a foot on the awards ladder

Or competitions for novices only with their own category to build up points

Actually, that's a very good idea.  Other poetry sites have that and it shows on someone's profile how many Gold, Silver, Bronze, and participation awards they've received.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 903

As someone who has more "runner-ups" than awards, I would totally support this!

slipalong
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 41awards
Joined 1st Jan 2018

thanks for your support  

slipalong
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 41awards
Joined 1st Jan 2018

thanks hope lady DU reads this

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

I don't like Dusting but I support this idea for the newbies and novices.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Tallen, what do you mean by Dusting?

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

This is an idea that definitely should take priority in any future updates and tweaks; just as long as it is not too much of a bother on the Webmistress! There is already a Runners Up notification, but an award for 2nd and 3rd place are often richly earned and deserved.

Would also lead to hopefully a few competitions aimed at only Silver and Bronze medal winners to give them a chance at gold again, and also prompt competitions and also contestants to give feedback and constructive critique on entries.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Also, I may be wrong on this, but I don't recall there being any way to tell how many runner-ups you have received. If there aren't silver and bronze medals, at least having that would be nice.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Viddax said:This is an idea that definitely should take priority in any future updates and tweaks; just as long as it is not too much of a bother on the Webmistress! There is already a Runners Up notification, but an award for 2nd and 3rd place are often richly earned and deserved.

Would also lead to hopefully a few competitions aimed at only Silver and Bronze medal winners to give them a chance at gold again, and also prompt competitions and also contestants to give feedback and constructive critique on entries.

Do you feel this should be moved to the Suggestions forum?  Webmiss has something in place to notify her whenever there's something posted there.  

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

Ahavati said:

Do you feel this should be moved to the Suggestions forum?  Webmiss has something in place to notify her whenever there's something posted there.  

I like that idea

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

SatInUGal said:

I like that idea

Hopefully a mod will move it soon.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

SatInUGal said:Tallen, what do you mean by Dusting?

IRL, I never entered Tournaments that offered Trophies as that's just more shit to dust.

Cash only.  I admit I still have a silver medal I won a long long time ago when I was in the 3rd grade in Hawaii.  I was thinking of melting it down but haven't yet.

Do not misunderstand me, here,
I would eagerly enter competition vs other newbies and novices like myself.

I'm just saying, I enjoy the competition but the medal thingy is not my goal.  It's the comraderie, I think  

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

What is nice about the trophies here though is added exposure and confidence-building. Yes, validation may not be necessary or a good thing to seek, but for folks that have a hard time with rejection notices, it can put fuel in the tank.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

100% agree with You,  SatInUGal

Go to page:
Go to: