Page:

Privacy setting for individual poems

OxyMoronicMe
G.L.
Dangerous Mind
Philippines 24awards
Joined 15th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 1470

I just hope that in the near future, we get to choose individual privacy setting for each poem.  

For example,  I have several posted poems that i hope not to share with the general public, nor to other members anymore,  neither do i want to delete them.

Or if not individual privacy setting,  how about an option to archive selected poem (where no prying eyes but the author can access and read them)?

poet Anonymous

Oh, this is a fabulous idea! It would be awesome to have an archive option.

Ely
E.A.Rothwell
Dangerous Mind
Mexico 6awards
Joined 20th May 2018
Forum Posts: 297

Well... it sounds good, but how secure du you think it would be?

slipalong
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 41awards
Joined 1st Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 825

sometimes it is good to challenge your own writing style to set off the alarms ,not do self harm but explore your own deep underground to revel when you are good and ready, the wine to age for a little time

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 926

Why not just archive them elsewhere?

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1741

SatInUGal said:Why not just archive them elsewhere?

I agree with your response - most of my poetry is not on DUP anyway.  It's originally hand-written and filed away & is also in digitised form off-line on a memory-stick. Anyone can do this. I don't reckon it's DUP's responsibility to provide the facility.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2287

SatInUGal said:Why not just archive them elsewhere?

I have thousands of hand typed or cursive written stuff
that I know for a fact will never make it here.
Most of it is my earlier crappy spills.

Slowly but surely I am trying to add these -- crap or not -- to my Wordpress account.  

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

It’s always best to have a backup for your writing, regardless of where online you post it. Print copies, thumb drive/CD, computer internal or external hard drive, etc.  Don’t rely on an electronic server or webpage , over which you can’t personally control all aspects of.

I’m not saying that DUP isn’t a safe bet, but in general , you can’t predict when servers can crash or websites can shutdown . Having backups still allows you access to your work even if you can’t get to it online for whatever reason.

As far as individual privacy settings per poem, I’d say that it would be a project that the Webmiss would need to address and I have no idea how involved it would be to set it in motion.  If there are pieces of writing that you’re concerned about keeping from prying eyes, then the simple solution is don’t post it in the first place.  Keep it in that backup system you should have, for your own purposes.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2287

MadameLavender said:It’s always best to have a backup for your writing, regardless of where online you post it. Print copies, thumb drive/CD, computer internal or external hard drive, etc.  Don’t rely on an electronic server or webpage , over which you can’t personally control all aspects of.

Great Advice
Time to transfer to my Portable Hard Drive  

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

This is a feature which has been on the radar for a while. It's quite tricky to implement but will be landing soon nonetheless

NewBeginnings
Tyrant of Words
United States 18awards
Joined 6th June 2017
Forum Posts: 102

I came here to post about this exact same suggestion, but for different reasons than suggested previously. My idea was to have a separate archive for poems designated as 'private' and an option to add poems to that list, which would only be visible by the user.

For the record, I don't post poems which I would actually want to be private, or I just wouldn't post them, but this would provide a way for people who wanted to, as well as a way to 'organize' and highlight the poems which the user wants to be seen first when other users click on their profile (by hiding the rest).

I suppose it might just make more sense to add a "highlighted poems" section on the profiles to accomplish that, and to keep the privacy option as a separate feature.

Anyway, there's my feedback :). I'm happy to hear that this feature is in the works!

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

You can now hide individual poems. Simply choose edit on your poem's page and then click on the hide button.

This is a much requested feature, and is primarily to facilitate people hiding poems temporarily (although there is no time limit). For example, when submitting them to external publications or competitions.

It's not designed to be used on large numbers of poems at a time; it would be time consuming to do so! I've tried to strike a balance between giving author's more control over their submissions, and ensuring that readers don't suddenly lose half their reading lists. Therefore, poems hidden by the author will stay on your reading list. They will be highlighted to you as "hidden" and will not be visible to other members looking at your list. You won't be able to read these poems while they are hidden, but you can remove them from your reading list if so choose.

Page:
Go to: