Go to page:

Perhaps, allowing 3 poems (vs 2) every 8 hours?

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

JohnnyBlaze said:
Blasting all your submissions through every 8 hours 2 to 3 at a time is a recipe for most of them being overlooked for several years in the short term.

That is spot-on truth, and I hope new members will pay heed to this fact.

The truth that Missy also makes is on the money: is that no poem is ever finished. I’m always doing revisions on older works of mine, which delights me as if I’ve discovered a poem of mine I’ve never posted before. It always makes them fresh, and received in ways they never were till then.

poet Anonymous

I think that the other point raised here is clearly the definition of poetry... I’ll be honest, I don’t like to try and define poetry, because I believe poetry just is.

However I’m gonna leave here a quote by probably one of my closest friends in the world. A quote I have on my profile because I believe it’s entirely relevant to how I see things:

“I thought about this and when asked about editing replied, " I truly believe that when it comes to the poem, there is no finer quality or moment than when you have edited yourself beyond your intent and ruined your art, for that is the very moment, no matter how much it sickens you, that your artistry begins”.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Miss_Sub said:However I don’t feel the need to publish every thought that comes out of my head.

Maybe the point here is not so much an issue of revision, but an issue of personal privacy. The mind not being a public bookshelf perhaps.

Miss_Sub said:I think that the other point raised here is clearly the definition of poetry... I’ll be honest, I don’t like to try and define poetry, because I believe poetry just is.

Okay ....... ???

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015

Omg, Missy, that’s brilliant!!

And it’s TRUE!

(re the quote from your best friend)

poet Anonymous

Jade-Pandora said:Omg, Missy, that’s brilliant!! And it’s TRUE!

Well... the quote maker occasionally talks sense. Taught me a thing or two about writing. Don’t tell him I said that though. Big head syndrome.

PoetWarrior
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 87

You all make excellent points.  I initiated this as an innocent question. I'm new here and if one doesn't ask, one doesn't learn.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

PoetWarrior said:This my not be administratively feasible (or there may not be sufficient space, but how about allowing a 3 piece post every 8 hours...instead of the current limit of 2?

2 for free, more for a fee.
ie: Those who pay a monthly membership here would be more entitled to said perk.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

Miss_Sub said:I think that the other point raised here is clearly the definition of poetry... I’ll be honest, I don’t like to try and define poetry, because I believe poetry just is.

However I’m gonna leave here a quote by probably one of my closest friends in the world. A quote I have on my profile because I believe it’s entirely relevant to how I see things:

“I thought about this and when asked about editing replied, " I truly believe that when it comes to the poem, there is no finer quality or moment than when you have edited yourself beyond your intent and ruined your art, for that is the very moment, no matter how much it sickens you, that your artistry begins”.

truly well said ^-^

Medinda
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2018
Forum Posts: 93

This is not in reference to number of poems per day.
But more in the way of a question /suggestion.
Could there possibly be a new category specifically for humor?
I realize there is a miscellaneous group but humor is certainly it's own thing.
Curious.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015

Somewhere around here is a forum thread from way back I remember reading about this very issue.  About Humorous. At the time I think it just petered out because admin said something about not at this time. A search might pull it up. I think there’s a #funny, and definitely a #parody and a #satire. You can always go to your humorous published works, and suggest the theme - the button is visible. Type in your suggestion and hit send. I’ve gotten themes approved that way about 50% of the time - pretty good odds.

PoetWarrior
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd Sep 2018

Cummings was known to author humorous work...so was James Laughlin.

PoetWarrior
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd Sep 2018

I have never been a fan of combative attitudes, when I have made a civil inquiry.  I don't think that anyone is qualified to tell any writer when his/her work should be revised, unless the reviewer is a professional Editor or Publisher.  Sorry....that's just how I see the matter.   I mean no disrespect; just offering constructive critique and interpreting a perceived mood.  Thanks for considering.

PoetWarrior
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd Sep 2018

You are certainly entitled to your opinion....as are the rest of us.  What works for one may not work for another.

poet Anonymous

PoetWarrior said:I have never been a fan of combative attitudes, when I have made a civil inquiry.  I don't think that anyone is qualified to tell any writer when his/her work should be revised, unless the reviewer is a professional Editor or Publisher.  Sorry....that's just how I see the matter.   I mean no disrespect; just offering constructive critique and interpreting a perceived mood.  Thanks for considering.

... You are aware that this is a poetry site, right? Giving each other feedback is kinda what we do. You don’t have to be an oxford scholar to offer revisions or edits.

I’m just saying.

PoetWarrior
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd Sep 2018

True, but your attitude seems condescending to me.

Go to page:
Go to: